BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

07-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Smile First Controlled Drift!

I just want to share that I finally did it. I have quite a few track days & DEs already and a couple of driving schools (about 15-20 events overall). I feel reasonable smooth & fast and can correct the car in most oversteer/understeer situations - with DSC off of course.

However, when getting power oversteer, what I have been doing is applying quick opposite lock to get the car in line while lifting (just a bit). This way I get the car back under control and it works every time.

However, I had been wishing to try to "hold the drift" but hadn't had a chance to -safely- practice it. The track I usually attend is quite fast and with little runoff so with a big mistake its easy to end up against the wall which I of course want to avoid.

Last Saturday was the first time that we actually got heavy rain towards the end of the day - all other times this year had been dry. Almost everyone came in, and there were only 2 other cars out. I thought "now or never" and went out in the E46. I was extremely careful and analyzed which corner would be best to practice on (most runoff).

Well, I probably tried about 10-12 times at this corner and was thrilled BIG TIME. I completely spun out a couple of times, but after that I was able to pull off a couple of "Top Gear worthy" drifts where I could hold the car drifting for 3-5 seconds at a huge angle and then smoothly get it out of the drift. All other 5 or 6 times I didn't lose the car but the drifts weren't so nice.

This experience sort of rekindled my love for the E46. That thing is so easy to drive! I can't wait to try it again. Unfortunately I have no video so you'll have to take my word for it!

However, I need a lot more practice. I'd like to get to the point where I lose the car 1/100 times instead of 2/15!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
j0k3r
E90 soon...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Very nice. I've done some power oversteers in the middle of the night, DSC disengaged, in empty parking lots but never had enough speed to hold those Top Gear quality drifts. Really do a number on the tires but loads of fun. Gotta love the E46, a proper driving car as Tiff Needle would say. RWD, loads of power, and a LSD standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

M's are very good at this and too much fun,but it leads to this

Some actual pictures of my drifting in this thread.The only thing I missed was the hand out the window while doing it

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=27
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
M's are very good at this and too much fun,but it leads to this
p=5533221&postcount=27[/url]
Nice pics, that was nice company at that track!

I think drifting in the rain is not as hard on the tires and you can do it slower since the car breaks traction a lot sooner. I WILL try it in the dry, though.
Appreciate 0