BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

11-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

iPhone + iTunes Match, working?

Thought I'd do an experiment and enabled iTunes Match on my iPhone. I now have access to my entire music collection (in theory)!

Plugged the phone into the car (cradle) and I don't seem to be able to find any of my songs.

It's possible that I'm doing something wrong as I just got the car and neglected to try this before enabled iTunes Match... oops!

With the phone plugged in, I tried looking under Radio (nope, nothing there). Then I tried looking in the Multimedia section. Didn't see what looked like a song list, but I saw an option for external device. Figured that was my iPhone and chose that... things looked more promising as there was stuff for playlists... but still no song list or ability to browse by artist/album/whatever...

Has anyone else given this a go and know if it does/does not work?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
In for info.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Did some more playing around on the way home and I'm not convinced that an iPhone with iTunes Match enabled is working correctly.

I found that by using the Search option I can browse everything by Artist, Album, etc... but when I select something the correct thing doesn't play. In my case, I found that no matter what I selected (say, Weezer) a song from Korn would play. If I hit the buttons for Next and Previous track, the same song from Korn would play.

Is anyone else able to replicate what I'm seeing?

iTunes Match has so much potential because I literally had my entire music collection (over 10,000 tracks) at mydisposal from the iDrive menus... now if only I can figure out how to make them play...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I've found that running the app (in your case iTunes Match) first, then plugging the phone/device into the car helps. After you plug it in, the screen of the iphone should go grayish and read something like "Connected." Along with it, you'll hear that four-note noise (whatever it's called).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
I've found that running the app (in your case iTunes Match) first, then plugging the phone/device into the car helps. After you plug it in, the screen of the iphone should go grayish and read something like "Connected." Along with it, you'll hear that four-note noise (whatever it's called).
I think you're thinking of pandora and the BMW connect apps.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Quote:
I think you're thinking of pandora and the BMW connect apps.
No I could've sworn it did the same thing for iPod connect. I'll try it this weekend and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I could've sworn it did the same thing for iPod connect. I'll try it this weekend and let you know.
Thanks much appreciated! Also do you have match turned on in your music settings? If you do please also try playing a song that you know is in the cloud but not stored locally on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
I'll have to check this out when mine arrives. This sounds pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'll have to check this out when mine arrives. This sounds pretty cool.
Yeah, tons of potential if we can get Match working correctly. As our resident audio guru I have a feeling your music collection is a lot larger than mine!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, tons of potential if we can get Match working correctly. As our resident audio guru I have a feeling your music collection is a lot larger than mine!
HAHA, prob not. I do love my audio though. I don't know anything about Match though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HAHA, prob not. I do love my audio though. I don't know anything about Match though.
Itunes Match let's you store your music in the cloud (Internet) and download them on demand to your iPhone. In theory, that means you could have 300gb in music available to your 32gb iPhone. If it works with our current software that is.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Itunes Match let's you store your music in the cloud (Internet) and download them on demand to your iPhone. In theory, that means you could have 300gb in music available to your 32gb iPhone. If it works with our current software that is.
Anything in your library or only itunes downloads?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anything in your library or only itunes downloads?
If its in the iTunes store (even if you didn't buy it there) it'll match with the iTunes copy. If its not in their collection, it'll upload up to 25gb of your songs into their cloud storage.

I had about 7,000 tracks that we're matched and 3,000 that were uploaded into the cloud.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If its in the iTunes store (even if you didn't buy it there) it'll match with the iTunes copy. If its not in their collection, it'll upload up to 25gb of your songs into their cloud storage.

I had about 7,000 tracks that we're matched and 3,000 that were uploaded into the cloud.
That's awesome!! I'll be all over this! Is this something covered in BMW Apps?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome!! I'll be all over this! Is this something covered in BMW Apps?
In theory, it should work like your normal iPod connectivity and not need BMW apps (just the iPod/USB option). Find a song, hit play. Then it downloads if you don't have it and starts playing.

In practice, I'm not sure if the downloading part is working right.

It just hit me that I could have been working with a slow Internet connection on the road yesterday. I'll try again later today in my garage since my car will be connected to my speedy wifi connection to see if this stuff is working.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In theory, it should work like your normal iPod connectivity and not need BMW apps (just the iPod/USB option). Find a song, hit play. Then it downloads if you don't have it and starts playing.

In practice, I'm not sure if the downloading part is working right.

It just hit me that I could have been working with a slow Internet connection on the road yesterday. I'll try again later today in my garage since my car will be connected to my speedy wifi connection to see if this stuff is working.
Does the internet in the car require a service plan or are you using some sort of mifi or phone tether?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the internet in the car require a service plan or are you using some sort of mifi or phone tether?
All of the Internet/music management is done by the iPhone which has a data plan. Connection to the car is via the media/music adaptor or USB port.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All of the Internet/music management is done by the iPhone which has a data plan. Connection to the car is via the media/music adaptor or USB port.
Gotcha. I was wondering whether using my mifi would be better than via a phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. I was wondering whether using my mifi would be better than via a phone.
If you have mifi providing Internet connectivity, an iPod touch (assuming those support iTunes match, I'm not sure) should also work via USB connection since it can pull data through the mifi.

Well, "work" since I'm not sure if any of this stuff works yet. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have mifi providing Internet connectivity, an iPod touch (assuming those support iTunes match, I'm not sure) should also work via USB connection since it can pull data through the mifi.

Well, "work" since I'm not sure if any of this stuff works yet. lol
HAHA...guess you'll find out sooner than I.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HAHA...guess you'll find out sooner than I.
Just finished playing with it a bit more during an errand and I don't believe that iPhones with iTunes Match enabled is working correctly.

I can see all of the songs but when I select something, either nothing happens or some other random song starts playing. Same happens on wifi so I know it's not an internet connection issue.

Not sure if the problem is on Apple's end or with the combox software so I'm not sure who to bug on this. I do have an Apple developer's account so I may try to ping them through that - I've often found that as a good way to cut through the tech support people and get at the actual Apple software engineers.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just finished playing with it a bit more during an errand and I don't believe that iPhones with iTunes Match enabled is working correctly.

I can see all of the songs but when I select something, either nothing happens or some other random song starts playing. Same happens on wifi so I know it's not an internet connection issue.

Not sure if the problem is on Apple's end or with the combox software so I'm not sure who to bug on this. I do have an Apple developer's account so I may try to ping them through that - I've often found that as a good way to cut through the tech support people and get at the actual Apple software engineers.
I look forward to your update.
Appreciate 0