BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Exhaust Flow Quesion

ok so ere we go...for most this will be an odd question but for those of you who track in CA and have to deal with the DB levels at laguna you might understand where im going wit this....

here is the issue at hand...i love my louder aftermarket exhaust but w/ a 90 DB limit at laguna i have grown tired of taking off my aftermarket exhaust and putting on my oem every time i go to laguna... so i have come up w/ an idea but need to pick your brains... i have a RPI rear system and the pipes clamp in 2 places...it clamps at the x-pipe ad 1 more time right before the mufflers... so my idea is im going to have a exhaust shop make me 2 sets of oem sounding mufflers that i can clamp on and off towards the 2nd rear set of clamps. for exhaust tips im going to use a set of supertrapps link below shows the supertrapp if you are unsure what im talking about..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...2003/overview/

so here is the technical question im interested in getting everyone's opinion about... our exhaust exits from the x-pipe from 2 pipes then leads into 2 separate mufflers (assuming you have a aftermarket exhaust)..each muffler has 2 tips for a total of 4 functional tips.... DOES A SINGLE IN AND DUAL OUT SET OF MUFFLERS FLOW BETTER THEN A SET OF SINGLE IN AND SINGLE OUT SET OF MUFFLERS?

thank you in advance!!!!!!
      02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Sorry, can't answer you question. However, I know plenty of ppl that go to Laguna with aftermarket exhaust and they just upshift unnecessarily before they get to the turn where the sound check booth is.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Sorry, can't answer you question. However, I know plenty of ppl that go to Laguna with aftermarket exhaust and they just upshift unnecessarily before they get to the turn where the sound check booth is.
ya im pretty aggressive and always pushing to better myself and my times last thing i like to do is lift...esp since 5 and 6 are all up hill
      02-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ya im pretty aggressive and always pushing to better myself and my times last thing i like to do is lift...esp since 5 and 6 are all up hill
Completely understand. Hope to see you there one of these days!
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Completely understand. Hope to see you there one of these days!
im there every time NCRC goes!!! hope to see you as well sir!!!!!!!
      02-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

90 DB limit thats redonkulous. you can get 90 DB with a race muffler only
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
90 DB limit thats redonkulous. you can get 90 DB with a race muffler only
ive seen guys w/ oem muffler and aftermarket x-pipes fail 90db days....
      02-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

run extensions off the tips that angle the exhaust sideways
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ok so ere we go...for most this will be an odd question but for those of you who track in CA and have to deal with the DB levels at laguna you might understand where im going wit this....

here is the issue at hand...i love my louder aftermarket exhaust but w/ a 90 DB limit at laguna i have grown tired of taking off my aftermarket exhaust and putting on my oem every time i go to laguna... so i have come up w/ an idea but need to pick your brains... i have a RPI rear system and the pipes clamp in 2 places...it clamps at the x-pipe ad 1 more time right before the mufflers... so my idea is im going to have a exhaust shop make me 2 sets of oem sounding mufflers that i can clamp on and off towards the 2nd rear set of clamps. for exhaust tips im going to use a set of supertrapps link below shows the supertrapp if you are unsure what im talking about..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...2003/overview/

so here is the technical question im interested in getting everyone's opinion about... our exhaust exits from the x-pipe from 2 pipes then leads into 2 separate mufflers (assuming you have a aftermarket exhaust)..each muffler has 2 tips for a total of 4 functional tips.... DOES A SINGLE IN AND DUAL OUT SET OF MUFFLERS FLOW BETTER THEN A SET OF SINGLE IN AND SINGLE OUT SET OF MUFFLERS?

thank you in advance!!!!!!

gintani ,mufflers alone seem to add a little bit of power and that's a single in dual out. Most are due to having 2 tips. There are those that exit a single and then into a dual tip and are not a full merge inside the muffler and I believe just by looking at the sharp transitions these would flow less
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
run extensions off the tips that angle the exhaust sideways
im going to that as well but want a setup for laguna thats quiet enough that i can remove once he day is over