BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #45
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Well, the Viper will be in a whole different price class, but I'd def skip the current C6 Corvette, the new one is just around the corner.
True. Base MSRP for the Z06 is what, $76K? I think the MSRP will be starting around $95K for the Viper, which is still about $18K cheaper than the ZR1.

Never driven a ZR1. Is the ZR1 that much better than the Z06 to justify $37K difference?
Is it worth 37k on the street? Absolutely not. It's actually a very frustrating car to drive on the street. You cant have much fun or else you are instantly in the triple digit speed range and that is potential jail time over here in California. it is just more hp than the street needs.

On the track, it's different. I enjoy both of them on the track however the zr1 sounds and feels like your driving a supercar. The z06 is just a fantastic piece of machinery with a deep growl that you can hone your skills on. I will never be able to reach 9-9.5/10 of the zr1's performance (also because I'd be afraid of the consequences) but I feel I can get much closer to the cars max potential (still not there but definitely closer) in the z06.

Also the supercharger is forgiving if you mess up, the z06 requires you to make less mistakes. That being said, I was never passed by a zr1 when I was in a z06 at spring mountain. I also never caught one either (of the decent drivers that were actually trying)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #46
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

all these arguments are retarded,
light years ahead in performance blah blah
better leather interior blah blah
gt this
ford / chevy that
Its all bullshit. performance is purely relative, any car can be made a performer
interior quality can be bought
brand is BS.
Corvettes and mustangs are common cars, the new ones are awesome for HP/TQ, and the corvette has a great shape and is a great car. Overall, an impressive car.
BMWs M3s are a little less common, but do everything VERY well and can easily be made to be extremely quick. Overall, an impressive car.

pick your poison
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
highrevs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (E90, 6MT, ZCP)

This is my first post here (member of too many forums, go through a lot of cars!).

If you've had fun with the M3 I say do it. You only live once and if you absolutely hate the Z it's not like you can't get back into the seat of an M. BMWs and Z06s live very well together. I previously had an 2004 M3 and the wife currently has an 2007 335xi. I have a 2009 Z06 and a 2010 Cobalt SS (DD) with a turbo upgrade (kind of boy racer for a grown man but it keeps me happy).

I would say go used. You can probably find a very low mileage 2009 in the low 50's that's still within the original bumper to bumper coverage. Two things you have to do though 1) get a GM Protection Plan warranty (can find them through dealers online for about $1000 for a 4 year); and 2) get it thoroughly inspected by someone who can detect if the car was ever tuned. GM will void your entire warranty in a heartbeat even if the car was tuned by the former owner and put back to stock.

I went into it knowing the car's limitations and trade-offs. We all know the interior is krap, stock speakers are krap, and the plastic fantastic body panels are not quite up to par with a BMW. BUT, that's what you trade to spank an F430 with a $50K used car.

There are little things you can do that completely transform the entire car. Halltech CAI (truly adds 15+ whp), DRM custom valved Bilstein shocks (eliminates rear end snap due to bumps, plants the car), and Michelin PSS tires. I was one of the first people to get PSS tires on mine. I've gotten the car to launch in 1st down to 45 degrees F with ~1 foot rollout. Also did some extensive rain testing and was able to use about 80-90% throttle with sharp steering changes in cold rain. A guy in AZ was able to pull 1.1 lateral g with them on the skidpad.

Looking good together [that's what red ones actually look like if you take care of them; they usually photograph terribly but I used a DSLR]:

Rain = no problem!

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #48
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Sweet Z. Are you on the CF?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #49
highrevs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Sweet Z. Are you on the CF?
Thanks. Not really. I troll the Z06 section but I don't post much. I don't really fit in with the crowd. If I posted exactly what I posted here half of them would call me unpatriotic because I like BMWs; the other half would whine about me flogging a Z06 in the rain, like I've committed a crime against humanity.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #50
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

How do you not fit in with the crowd when you drive a Z06? I had a few BMW's and I'm a long time member there. There are a lot of guys that have BMW's on the vette forum. Dont be closed minded. I dont agree with what everyone says here but that doesnt deter me from posting.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #51
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
They dont do anything for me.
+1

Corvettes just don't do it for me anymore....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #52
F1 Fanatikko
REGISTERED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sparkling Graphite e90

Just do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #53
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
How do you not fit in with the crowd when you drive a Z06? I had a few BMW's and I'm a long time member there. There are a lot of guys that have BMW's on the vette forum. Dont be closed minded. I dont agree with what everyone says here but that doesnt deter me from posting.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #54
highrevs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
Agree 100%
I gave it a college try for a good four years. I really don't post unless I feel like I'm contributing something; someone asking about a situation (or mods, etc.) that I have experience with; or something that's just really nice to share (like objective information on the PSS tires). Almost every single time there are so many absurd, near retarded replies that I just gave up on it.

One example is the PSS tire review. Me and another guy posted A LOT of information about them. How they handle on the track, street, cold weather, rain, traction in specific gears, lateral g's, etc. So some poor b@stard goes and gets them for his base model vette and the rears are only available in sizes that are 10 mm thinner than stock; he posts how much he loves the tires, that he got them because of the good reviews, best mod he's ever done, and about 20 people come in and tell him that his car looks like krap because the tires are 5 mm too thin on one side. Mods had to lock the thread.

Another good one (maybe more close to home) was the M3 thread a couple months ago. You guys see that one? Think that one got locked too after about 4 pages of insults calling M3 drivers girly men and things of that nature.

I can see there are disagreements even in this thread but at least they're all respectable.

EDIT: we're talking about corvette forum guys
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #55
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevs View Post
I gave it a college try for a good four years. I really don't post unless I feel like I'm contributing something; someone asking about a situation (or mods, etc.) that I have experience with; or something that's just really nice to share (like objective information on the PSS tires). Almost every single time there are so many absurd, near retarded replies that I just gave up on it.

One example is the PSS tire review. Me and another guy posted A LOT of information about them. How they handle on the track, street, cold weather, rain, traction in specific gears, lateral g's, etc. So some poor b@stard goes and gets them for his base model vette and the rears are only available in sizes that are 10 mm thinner than stock; he posts how much he loves the tires, that he got them because of the good reviews, best mod he's ever done, and about 20 people come in and tell him that his car looks like krap because the tires are 5 mm too thin on one side. Mods had to lock the thread.

Another good one (maybe more close to home) was the M3 thread a couple months ago. You guys see that one? Think that one got locked too after about 4 pages of insults calling M3 drivers girly men and things of that nature.

I can see there are disagreements even in this thread but at least they're all respectable.

EDIT: we're talking about corvette forum guys

Compared to here, thats nothing. Guys on this forum, and I'm talking about moderators to posters, are a VERY sensitive bunch when it comes to ANY criticism on BMW and more specifically, the M3. Its absurd. I got banned for 30 days because I was answering a question someone asked about missing the torque of his E55 AMG if he switched to the M3. I own both a C6 Z06 and an M3 and I was giving him my opinion since I have both a torquey car and an M3. You should've seen the fanbois response. And I'm the one who gets banned. A joke. The respect level is much higher amongst posters on the corvette forum then here. No question. Too many narrow minded fanbois on this forum that think only BMW/M/porsche is the best thing ever. If you dispute that, be prepared for fanboism.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #56
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Compared to here, thats nothing. Guys on this forum, and I'm talking about moderators to posters, are a VERY sensitive bunch when it comes to ANY criticism on BMW and more specifically, the M3. Its absurd. I got banned for 30 days because I was answering a question someone asked about missing the torque of his E55 AMG if he switched to the M3. I own both a C6 Z06 and an M3 and I was giving him my opinion since I have both a torquey car and an M3. You should've seen the fanbois response. And I'm the one who gets banned. A joke. The respect level is much higher amongst posters on the corvette forum then here. No question. Too many narrow minded fanbois on this forum that think only BMW/M/porsche is the best thing ever. If you dispute that, be prepared for fanboism.
Go over to Corvette Forum and start a thread about a Porsche or a GT-R and watch the SENSITIVITY come out. You are delusional if you think that place is open minded about anything other than the plastic fantastic mobile. I know it first hand. I've owned a few Vettes and got a temporary ban from there a couple of times.....and another thing don't dare post anything even remotely resembling a street race. Their panties get really wadded up.

Face it, go to ANY specific car forum and there are fanbois galore......EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #57
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
I feel you always exaggerate this. I feel you just like bmw's and porsches more. I've owned both a new M3 and a C6 Z06 at the same time. They ARE very different cars, no doubt. The M3 has better leather quality and overall a nicer interior, but the Z06 NEVER rattled a squeaked like my M3. The Z06 is light years ahead in performance. The M3 is a capable GT. I highly suggest the OP drive the Z06 for himself. I feel that once he does, he will be hooked. The performance and sound is intoxicating. BTW, I daily drove my Z06 for 5 yrs and it was a pleasure. Even averaged 26-28 mpg on the highway cruising at 75mph.
lol for you not to admit that the C6 has a crap interior proves you are either in denial or a fanboy...

The C6 has to have the worst interior you can buy for the money, especially in ZR1 form.
      09-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #58
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
Interesting, most of my close sources(and im in auto industry) tell me that Viper will be around $120k range and GTS right at $137k. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
True. Base MSRP for the Z06 is what, $76K? I think the MSRP will be starting around $95K for the Viper, which is still about $18K cheaper than the ZR1.

I was close. New SRT Viper starts at $97,395, while the top-of-the-line GTS starts at $120,395. Both before the $1,995 Destination Charge.
Appreciate 0