BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

06-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Add oil

I have had this 2011 E90 M3 since March 2015. Oil change was done this spring about 4000 km ago. I drive the car like it was meant to, waiting for the car to be warmed up and then flooring the gas pedal when I feel like seeing some shift lights...

The oil was on the top mark at oil change, then about 2000km in, it went about halfway down, and now, at 4000km post oil change, I got the add 1L oil message.

I added 750ml and went for a drive. Back at the top mark....

I know some of these cars drink a little oil... I'm just curious as to if my consumption is normal or excessive.

As a side note, it seems my oil level dropped both times (to the half mark and the bottom mark) after doing some spirited driving... Is that pure coincidence?
      06-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

The computerized dipstick is notoriously finicky. Its known to report incorrectly. Chances are you were never at max fill, just about 1/4 from max and then when the system caught up with your mileage and your top off you are more likely where you really are oil wise.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Keep monitoring and see if in another 2000km - it drops again.

I just got my M3 and have put about 2500km so far, haven't experienced any consumption yet (1 track day at Mosport too - oil was changed prior to the track event).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

your consumption rates seems normal to me, especially since you implied you drive in the high rpm range all the time. I assume you're using 10-60...

In 3-months and 3000 miles, I've consumed about 1.25 bottles of oil, and I'm using 0-40
      06-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Mine is bizarre as well. I'm usually 1 or 2 notches below the recommended max. Been putting in 250ml at a time, and resetting it, and yet it doesn't detect the added oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Mine is bizarre as well. I'm usually 1 or 2 notches below the recommended max. Been putting in 250ml at a time, and resetting it, and yet it doesn't detect the added oil.
Put the bottle down.

Stop adding oil, if you're just 1 or 2 notches below max, you're at danger of overfilling if you keep adding at this point.

Remember, that level indicator tells you the level at the final bottle level, not the overall oil system level. Given the time it takes for the indicator to re-adjust, your method is likely going to result in an overfill, which will cause damage and is a headache to correct. Plus, at your current level and anywhere in between the min and max line, the system is not "low on oil".

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-29-2015 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:45 AM   #7
buffstocover
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
Put the bottle down.

Stop adding oil, if you're just 1 or 2 notches below max, you're at danger of overfilling if you keep adding at this point.

Remember, that level indicator tells you the level at the final bottle level, not the overall oil system level. Given the time it takes for the indicator to re-adjust, your method is likely going to result in an overfill, which will cause damage and is a headache to correct. Plus, at your current level and anywhere in between the min and max line, the system is not "low on oil".
Exactly. My dealer told me not to mess around and never add oil when it's in the middle or even a little below--only when it says add oil is the only time to add.
      06-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffstocover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
Put the bottle down.

Exactly. My dealer told me not to mess around and never add oil when it's in the middle or even a little below--only when it says add oil is the only time to add.
Yes. That is what the "good" book says as well...

Funny thought that the book says add 1 qt, the indicator says add 1L, and I added 750ml to make it full... Three different quantities here. Goes to show you the electronic dipstick is notoriously inaccurate.
      06-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
ycb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

I find I never have to add oil in between changes. ~7000km. I'm at 5000km now and haven't had to add anything? I get worried thinking my virtual dipstick is broken.

OP, do you know the OG owner of the vehicle? do you know if a full break in was done?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

I hear other forums say seals weren't broken in properly at break in period.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Put the bottle down.

Okay thanks. Was hoping more oil meant quieter operation like it was on my e46 ZHP. I find the S65 very whiny especially when its cold.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:44 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycb View Post
I find I never have to add oil in between changes. ~7000km. I'm at 5000km now and haven't had to add anything? I get worried thinking my virtual dipstick is broken.

OP, do you know the OG owner of the vehicle? do you know if a full break in was done?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

I hear other forums say seals weren't broken in properly at break in period.
Hej YCB,

I wouldn't worry. Same here never added a drop between 8000km changes, meter stays glued on top. Clearly quite big differences between engines oil consumption. Me, I don't mind having one consuming very little...☺
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #12
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
I have had this 2011 E90 M3 since March 2015. Oil change was done this spring about 4000 km ago. I drive the car like it was meant to, waiting for the car to be warmed up and then flooring the gas pedal when I feel like seeing some shift lights...

The oil was on the top mark at oil change, then about 2000km in, it went about halfway down, and now, at 4000km post oil change, I got the add 1L oil message.

I know some of these cars drink a little oil... I'm just curious as to if my consumption is normal or excessive.

As a side note, it seems my oil level dropped both times (to the half mark and the bottom mark) after doing some spirited driving... Is that pure coincidence?
I experienced a very similar occurrence. Except my 11E90 was picked up in October 2014. Had the oil changed by dealer a month or so later. Put under 1k miles in that time frame. And a few weeks thereafter it was begging for more oil. I gave it half a quart which brought it up to the full mark. Few days ago I did a check and its at the midway mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
xnfsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011.75

I just changed my oil completely yesterday. I put in 9 liters of the new BMW M recommended oil. My system still states my oil is half. How long does it take to recognize the new oil?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
asbjorjo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

Garage List
2013 X5 xDrive35d  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnfsx View Post
I just changed my oil completely yesterday. I put in 9 liters of the new BMW M recommended oil. My system still states my oil is half. How long does it take to recognize the new oil?
Sounds about right. Mine does the same. Just run it and when it has consumed enough to ask for it, add a quart/litre.
      07-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

i had low oil warning a few weeks ago. didnt get around to going into the dealership until this past weekend. (I only drive my car on the weekends) When i said i was in to buy some oil, they offered to top it off complimentary.
After they brought the car around, i noticed the meter read full. I'm assuming that's normal. The car didnt feel any different, so i don't think they overfilled. But the question I have is, how would they know how much to put in? Is it bad that it reads full?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #16
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpersona
i had low oil warning a few weeks ago. didnt get around to going into the dealership until this past weekend. (I only drive my car on the weekends) When i said i was in to buy some oil, they offered to top it off complimentary.
After they brought the car around, i noticed the meter read full. I'm assuming that's normal. The car didnt feel any different, so i don't think they overfilled. But the question I have is, how would they know how much to put in? Is it bad that it reads full?
From what I read, the manual says to add 1L when the car asks for it... Most people here say add 500ml minimum up to 750ml. There is a danger, I guess of overfilling (which happened to me). If it overfilled, it will show the line over max and the car will give you a warning to get your oil checked immediately.... Too much oil causes frothing and that may cause oil starvation, which is bad...

So if yours shows full and in the next couple of days, it still shows full once you be started your car a few times, I would assume you're ok...
      07-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #17
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbjorjo View Post
Sounds about right. Mine does the same. Just run it and when it has consumed enough to ask for it, add a quart/litre.
what? So it's normal to change the oil, add 9 liters of oil (9 bottles) and still have a half filled oil reading from the system in the navi?

I thought we would need 9.5 liters including the filter...
I am confused...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #18
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
what? So it's normal to change the oil, add 9 liters of oil (9 bottles) and still have a half filled oil reading from the system in the navi?

I am confused...
Believe the complete system is 8.8 liter. I'd be careful adding more than that mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
Quote:

I am confused...
Believe the complete system is 8.8 liter. I'd be careful adding more than that mate.
Its 8.8 without the filter I believe. Regardless why isn't the reading at full and stating at midway?!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
asbjorjo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

Garage List
2013 X5 xDrive35d  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Its 8.8 without the filter I believe. Regardless why isn't the reading at full and stating at midway?!
Does it really matter? Like with a manual dipstick it's a minimum to maximum scale. As long as the reading is somewhere between the two, you're good to go.
      09-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #21
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post

So 3000 km after adding 750ml of oil, the oil mark went down about 1/4 of the way... Ok, no big deal, I guess it drank a little oil, and it's not much. About 1000km later (4000km after adding 750ml), it went down another 1/4 to half full. Ok, not bad either, it drank a little more, but not as much as my first 4000km... Not too shabby...

About 300km-400km after it had gone down to the half full mark (4300km-4400km after adding 750ml), I was driving calmly when I decided to check the oil level, as I often do... The level had gone back to FULL... !?!

I know the electronic dipstick isn't too accurate, but going back to FULL? Hope my block isn't cracked and coolant is in the oil!! (ya I'd know with all the blue smoke I guess!) I'm doing my 8000km oil change this week, so I'm not worried or bothered, but I am slightly confused!

Anyone have a similar story where the car gives them a "free oil fill up"?
      09-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Overfill is going to be more dangerous than a slight underfill.

Overfill can cause frothing and other odd things to happen. A slight underfill will have an impact on the engine's ability to shed heat into the oil, and perhaps have some negative consequences on long-term contaminant suspension. Note that I am talking about a *slight* underfill, not an egregious one where only half of the necessary oil is added.