BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

03-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Low carb and high protein...how much is too much?

I lost about 60lbs a few years ago (on a low carb diet) when I was let go from one of my jobs during the financial crisis of 09' and started eating better (more time at home) and working out (home, again)....since then, i have been able to keep the weight off...but I know I still have about 20+lbs to go more or less

recently, Ive been back on a low carb/high protein diet...

my diet mainly consists of the following:

breakfast: 1 egg with a couple pieces of either turkey sausage or bacon, with a slice of cheese and a sandwich thin (16g net carbs)
coffee with SF creamer and about 1/8 1%fat milk

snack:
yogurt 4g carbs 12g protein
or string cheese

lunch:
2 hard boiled eggs and maybe some jerky (if I have it on hand) or nuts, roasted lightly salted

snack:
protien bar (10g total carbs, 4g sugar) 14g protein

dinner: chicken or steak with some veggies or a salad with cheese

I would like to start working out 3days a week...(very busy at work now ) so i want to start at 30min/3day/week
and add a protein shake once i start working out

can someone chime in...

TIA guys
      03-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
e90dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

What kind of advise are you specifically looking for? On the diet side it it looks like you are eating the right foods. However, just going through your list it looks like you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day. This is great if you weigh under 175 pounds. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?

As for working out were you thinking of lifting weights or cardio? My suggestion is to get on a lifting routine. How much experience lifting do you have? If you are interested and I learn more about what your goals are I can suggest a few awesome routines unless you are set on your own of course. Cardio is great for burning calories on the spot, but lifting weights will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and in general make you look better. Ideally you would want a mix of both, but if you only have time for 3 workouts of 30 minutes the later would be quite difficult.

And your title states "how much is too much" - what are you referring too?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
thanks man...
yes, i was looking for a diet review and some tips
am I consuming too much protien? I havent started working out again, yet, as of today =\

im 5'9 ish closer to 5'10 FWIW and 204 +\- 3lbs depending on the day.....
i work a desk job (sucks) with a working lunch (hence the eggs for lunch) because i cant imagine eating any more because i sit and crunch #s all day =\

as far as weights go..my routine typically is at home with dumbbells
romanian deadlifts (while holding dumbbells), squats again holding a dumbbell, my version of a combination of excersizes (dumbbell curl, squat then press dumbbells overhead when coming out of the squat, reaching towards the sky) also finish with a 1 legged romanian deadlift. like this
      03-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

I have no idea how many calories your taking in.

Visit here: http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

Calculate your maintenance and what your cals look like on a daily basis. You also need to add up your Protein, Fats, and Carbs for anyone to critique.
      03-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Maintenance:
2265 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1812 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1640 Calories/day

will get back to "my plate" when I get home... i not really sure about breakfast and dinner......because of "rounding" errors.i would say I'm still around 1700 cals..i should really narrow it down

now i havent seen the scale move much in the past weeks but my pants definitely feel bigger....

*going to buy tape measure today*
      03-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
e90dawg
United_States
Rep

I would not worry about your protein intake being to high, aim for 1 - 2g / lb body weight, probably closer to 2 if you are doing a low carb. get the rest of your calories from fat and keep carbs under 100g. Is the reason you are doing a low-carb because it fits your lifestyle? Or because you've heard it works best?
The most general number to watch out for when losing weight is calories. at 200 pounds you burn approx 2600+/- (from the top of my head, there are a lot of calculators out there) calories per day, just doing nothing. Another number to remember is 3500 calories in 1lb of fat. So if you eat 500 less calories, or burn 500 more calories (from working out) per day you will lose 1lb per week. At your rate you eat 800 less than your BMR, and probably burn 200 or so from your workout routine 3xs a week. You are close to losing 2lbs a week which is the most you should healthily lose in a week. Be careful not to starve yourself to much, either you will binge out on food on the weekends or whatever, or go off the deep end after your diet and gain it all back. From your first post though it seems like you can keep weight off easily.

As for your workout these are good exercises for home, but is it in the cards to get a membership to like a 24-hour fitness? To get the best results you should start a beginner program consisting of the 3 basic lifts: Squats, bench, and deadlift. Not squats with dumbells, but squats with more weight where you can only do 8 reps or so. To really get into a good lifting program you will need a gym. However, If going to a gym doesn't fit in your schedule, keep up your current workouts but add in push ups, and pull ups if you can find a bar of some sort to do them. Maybe add a 20 - 30 minute run a couple days a week too, cardio is great for the heart!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
e90dawg
United_States
Rep

Also if you have a smartphone get the loseit! app to keep track of your calories, I used it awhile back when I was into bodybuilding. It did kinda take control of my life though :/.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
^^ thanks for the feedback boss...

Yea I used to belong to a gym, but cut that out when I bought a house last year and getting married this year..want to save more money...it wasnt much $24/month for the option of going....ill incorporate a run into my routine since the neighborhood has a great greenbelt that runs up and down the length of our neighborhood

my primary reason for going "low carb" was that its what Im most familar with...
and i like the way i feel when not eating carbs (you know that groggy feeling after you eat pasta..yuk!)

i would like to incorporate some different excersizes too... i honestly cant do more than maybe 12-15 push-ups..but thats how you get started right? 3 sets of 10 then work my way up..

im going to monitor my dinners more closely because thats where my diet really varies honestly...because my wife loves to cook and we have started cutting out carbs and starches from dinner..BUT I feel i have to look a little closer to the ingredients she uses to cook..i.e. oils, sauces, cheeses etc...IMO..especially the sauces....i think that could be killing our diet and hindering our results
      03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dawg View Post
Also if you have a smartphone get the loseit! app to keep track of your calories, I used it awhile back when I was into bodybuilding. It did kinda take control of my life though :/.
ive got a blackberry...i will look into it...dont think they have it tho..apps for the BBs are pretty disappointing =(
      03-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Look at calorieking.com too.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
e90dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post

im going to monitor my dinners more closely because thats where my diet really varies honestly...because my wife loves to cook and we have started cutting out carbs and starches from dinner..BUT I feel i have to look a little closer to the ingredients she uses to cook..i.e. oils, sauces, cheeses etc...IMO..especially the sauces....i think that could be killing our diet and hindering our results
Yeah, but don't cut out all of the good food! The hardest thing about cutting weight IMO is balance. Many people end up starving themselves and going on eating binges because they go all-or-nothing on the foods they enjoy. Moderation truly is the key to success.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You don't mention it, but you HAVE to drink a lot of water. Especially if you are moving into higher percentages of proteins, the liver and kidneys need some help to flush that allout of you.

I'm almost the exact as you, except I'm 44. My 30 minute workout was running the track while my son was at swimming practice. I'd vary it between just staight runs, sometimes throwing stairs in there, and often doing (12-15) pushups every other lap.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
oh yea...i omitted that part...
i have one of those aluminum/metal water containers that I refill, probably 4/5 times/day
      04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

i read through, had to leave the office, and forgot what your point was and don't want to re-read...what is your goal? lose weight or fat, or maintain?

+1M on loseit! app...
      04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
^^lol...well i want to drop another 25lbs or so... once i hit my target weight, i want to really focus on getting lean
      04-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^lol...well i want to drop another 25lbs or so... once i hit my target weight, i want to really focus on getting lean
which is what i'm doing right now. IMO, do what works for you. I'm not a fan of the low-carb diets , mostly because i like all the foods you CAN'T eat!!! /rage

to "simply" (it's not so simple, is it? lol) just drop weight, cals in < cals out. burn more than you intake. if you didn't know, 3500 cals = 1 lb of body meat.

i'm currently 203. losing an avg of 3 lbs a week for the past few months. no special diets, i drink like a mofo on saturday nights, etc. my macro % looks like this though:

55, 35, 10...carbs protein fat

with my weight lifting and cardio routine i'm losing weight AND fat while maintaining muscle.

i guess my main point was burn more than you eat and you'll lose weight. it's science. if you want lose fat, aka cut, that's whe you should monitor what your macronutrient intake should be. if you're just wanting to lose weight, cals out > cals in. (sorry i keep repeating that, idk how else ot say it)
      04-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

forgot to put my daily avg...

i eat around 2K a day while burning around 3-3500. (i have a Bodybugg so yes i know for sure how much i burn ) i don't bring down my calorie intake (i use the 10 cals for every pound formula) i just exercise more or just exercise harder.
      04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Be careful with these types of diets. Too much protein ,little carbs diets puts your body into a state of ketosis. It's very poisonous for your body and you will feel "weak" for a couple months until your body adapts to it.
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
ive got a blackberry...i will look into it...dont think they have it tho..apps for the BBs are pretty disappointing =(
I have a blackberry too, hoping they will expand platforms, however, i still signed up to the website, it does a decent job of keeping track of stuff.

been playing on it today, and i'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
Be careful with these types of diets. Too much protein ,little carbs diets puts your body into a state of ketosis. It's very poisonous for your body and you will feel "weak" for a couple months until your body adapts to it.
Ketosis is NOT dangerous to your body. You probably are thinking of ketoacidosis. I have been in ketonic states before and although I was not gaining muscle, I was still within 90-95% of 1RM (2-3 sets of 6) EVERY time I lifted.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #21
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
People on a pure ketogenic diet that weight lift feel weak because at the end of the week they've depleted all their "glycogen storages" in their muscle tissue. Every time you weight lift (an anaerobic process) you use glycogen as your fuel.

Go read the thread I just posted on Cyclical Ketogenic Dieting. You cycle a "carb load-up" every weekend and that gets you through the week's workouts. I've lost 8lbs this past week on the diet and lifted more in the gym this week.
      04-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
People on a pure ketogenic diet that weight lift feel weak because at the end of the week they've depleted all their "glycogen storages" in their muscle tissue. Every time you weight lift (an anaerobic process) you use glycogen as your fuel.

Go read the thread I just posted on Cyclical Ketogenic Dieting. You cycle a "carb load-up" every weekend and that gets you through the week's workouts. I've lost 8lbs this past week on the diet and lifted more in the gym this week.
link?
Appreciate 0