BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #23
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.
Good luck in your hunt for the car that can replace both your 335 and SLK! Let us know if you find it
      01-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #24
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

You chose easy mediocre power/torque over more power that you need to ENJOYABLY work for. Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy your "anyone can drive" 335
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #25
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Seems you went out of your way to label m3 diehards as fanboys right off the bat. The M series arent meant for folks worried about gas mileage, noise, seating capacity or monthly payments. You buy the M for the thrill of driving a badass car. Everytime I have a hard day at work my M helps me get through the daily grind knowing I'll be rewarded on the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #26
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

It's ok if you don't like the car bro. I've driven both the M3 and 335i and honestly there is no comparison. The 335i is a nice, quick car, but the M3 is a lot more fun. Then again, as soon as I get my M3 I will not be using it as my daily driver... I have an Acura RSX for that, which saves lots of money in fuel.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.
So, you didn't like the noise, the ride comfort, and the transmission. Understandable, but here are my thoughts.

As far as the transmission in your 335i, is that a Steptronic or 6MT? Because the M3 6MT is basically the same as the 335i, and the DCT is better than the Steptronic in most every way as well.

As far as the ride comfort goes, did you try EDC in Comfort mode? And what size wheels did the M3 you tested have? With EDC, the E93 M3 should be noticeably more comfortable than the the 335i coupe with ZSP.

Finally - noise level. Well, you compared a convertible to a coupe. An M3 coupe won't be any noiser than a 335i coupe.

I've have both of these cars in the garage for over two years. I find it hard to believe anyone in the same situation would favor the 335i on a daily basis. But I can see how, coming from your situation with the SLK55, I would be hard pressed to give up having the two seater as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #28
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

I would like to know how one gets an m3 for 600 per month. Must be putting 25k down. I think his entire post is bullshit. I drove 335i and it is no where near the same car and as far slk55 i owned a clk550 and i can tell you that mercedes dont handle and are not fun to drive. They only go straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #29
jlrarch
Rep
Drives: 2009 jet black E93 m3

I have both a 2008 335i daily driver and a 2009 e93 vert. I can honestly say that there is no comparison, while the 335 is quick it is no where near the package that the e93 is. The m3 is far and away a better car in every aspect. No comparison. Anybody who compares a 335 to an m3 does not know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #30
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

i wouldnt get an m3 convertible. wast of a great engine. if i was to get a convertible id get porsche turbo... fastest convertible ive seen. of course there is one problem i cant afford it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #31
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

I was a very similar situation, having a 335Xi and a SLK 55 which I tracked.

I loved having a hard top convertible ( like the SLK 55 ) and looked into getting the E93 M3 to replace it. I felt it wasn't enough of a upgrade over the SLK 55 on the track so I ordered a E92 M3 instead and traded the 335Xi in instead. This leaves me with the best ( in my opinion) tracking M3 and I still have the SLK 55 for those sunny top down days.

So now I have two gas guzzlers

and a honda fit to keep my family mpg average down ( and for salty winter days)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #32
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i wouldnt get an m3 convertible. wast of a great engine. if i was to get a convertible id get porsche turbo... fastest convertible ive seen. of course there is one problem i cant afford it.
Errrr, I couldn't afford a 911 Turbo Convertible, so I bought an M3 Convertible with a great engine.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #33
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I loved having a hard top convertible ( like the SLK 55 ) and looked into getting the E93 M3 to replace it. I felt it wasn't enough of a upgrade over the SLK 55 on the track so I ordered a E92 M3 instead and traded the 335Xi in instead.
You were tracking a convertible? Thought most tracks frown upon that.
      01-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
I do have to wonder though, could part of the noise issue be because it is a convertible, even one with a hard top? I had drive M3 verts before, and a sedan and was flogging them and really enjoyed them. Today's drive was about using it as a daily driver and for me it just was not there. Mostly because of the noise, not so much about the ride. I honestly did not think it road any worse than my 335 did before I got rid of the run craps and went to Conti DW tires. On a side note these tires are truly quiet, have great wet traction, great ride (compared to the run craps at least) and don't lose too much turn in response.
Road noise/sound...

Did you test drive new M3 or broken in one?

I'm aware how much louder new car can be before it's broken-in, but...

Before break-in, M3, simply put,- deafening! Going at 60-70 mph was producing so much road noice, you could hardly have a conversation with passenger... My girlfriend at first hated the M3 and missed our previous 335i... she kept on making comments how much louder road noise was in M3, plus the ride is much firmer than in 335i.

Louder road noise+ firmer ride= M3 can be hated by passengers.

Before break-in, M3 ran at 8.5 mpg HIGHWAY!!! I was shocked to see such poor gas milage!

After break in, or pass 2k miles, M3 is:

-much, much quieter for roadnoise,
-faster, quicker,
-mpg hwy close to 20mpg

01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Errrr, I couldn't afford a 911 Turbo Convertible, so I bought an M3 Convertible with a great engine.
Yeah, I guess then the 911 turbo isn't a waste since that engine is terrible???

It's funny how hate makes people say such stupid things.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #36
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I had the same negative impressions of the M3 vert, but it turns out that all the problems with the DCT and the noise and comfort can be easily solved.

Simply put the noise and comfort issue are fixed by adding more sound deadening material to the car and swapping tires, and the DCT problem is solved by changing the setting on the transmission. Plus to an extent you'll get used to all these problems.

The M3 is a little rough around the edges but with a little DIY it's as good as the 335i.
Did you mean this in the context of noise/comfort, or the car all-around? I'm a little confused; although, shouldn't the E93 335i have similar increased noise as the M3 Vert?

Just looking to clarify is all
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

First... I'm no hater, you can like whichever car you choose and that's great. What I don't understand is why people choose to come on an M3 board and tell everyone what they dislike about their cars. What's the point? If I test drove an Audi RS5 and an M3 and picked the M3 why would I then go to an Audi forum to tell them why I didn't like their car and why the one "I" like was better? To me that is trolling... not saying that is your intention but it is what you are effectively doing so... if you get "haters" you should expect it to some extent. What's the point of starting a thread with the title "I am going to be disliked" if it isn't to stir up sh!t? Anyway, enough said...

Lastly, the 335 will and should be quieter than and M3, vert or otherwise. It is not targeted at the same market. BMW will build more "noise" into an M3 but virtue of trying to strip weight and to allow the driver to experience some of the nice sounds the car makes. Many here actually want it louder and will swap out exhausts, etc. So, no surprise the 335 is quieter, it should be because it isn't the sportier car.

For me, the M3 has tons of usable torque and power in bumper to bumper traffic. Way more than needed and more than 95% of the cars on the road. Does the 335 and others have more when lugging around in the wrong gear? Yes. Does it matter? Not to me but that's just my take.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #38
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Many, many on this forum have come from a 335 to an M3 and would disagree with this comment... But, again, that is a YMMV comment.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #39
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
You were tracking a convertible? Thought most tracks frown upon that.
It had both built in roll bars and a hard top so it is probably safer than most cars.

the soft top of my M roadster kept me from tracking that at the time.
Some groups let you track soft tops that if the car has roll bars ( see the boxsters that get tracked...)

Last edited by arter; 01-30-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #40
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.Ruiz View Post
It sounds like you just need a better commute. Mine is 20 miles of twisty backroads where an open road is pretty common. *sigh* Spring can't come quickly enough!
You hit the nail on the head! Don't buy the car. Buy the road.

Cheers.
      01-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:

e90, best all arounder there is,have 2 kids and run errands and shop, and can hit the track on weekends. have dct and works great in chicago traffic, yes i live downtown, audi/vw... come on, driven both, not even close... btw a convertible one of the few times ive been annoyed on this forum...
      01-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #42
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

ofcourse you can't replace a 335i and slk55 with a e93 M3.. the damn thing weighs a tonne! (1810kg vs e92:1655kg e90:1605)
if u want a vert. get the 335i for the torque to carry around all that weight
a e93 M3 is stupid idea and waste of an 'M3' ...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #43
Jsnscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I've had my E92 M3 for a few days now and my old 335i doesn't compare to the M3. Yea it might not "feel" as fast down low but it definitely is.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #44
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

OP has valid points, but he's really comparing apples to oranges trying to get a 4 seat vert to drive like a a 2 seat and be as quiet as a coupe.
He also obviously like the torque of the N54, which 90% of the people out there would prefer over top end power.
So basically, he's just like 90% of BMW buyers out there who feel the M is too stiff and loud and doesn't "feel as fast."
What he should really do is get an E93 335 and tune it or get an E93 335is.

I just want to know how he got a lease on an $80k car for $600/month.
That's impossible unless he put down a HUGE drive off.
My lease is $950 on a car sold at $61,600 with a money factor of 0.0005 with a total of $1,500 drive off.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0