BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #45
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
Really??? The dealer told me they were and said they wouldn't install the tires I had because they weren't run flats to match the front (had to get it done elsewhere).

Also, the computer tells you that you are using run flats if you let the PSI drop down below a certain threshold (happened to me shortly before I had these changed).
Don't ever believe the dealer regarding your tires. Get on your knees with a flashlight and see if you can find the inscription

RFT

anywhere on your tires ... if you do then you have the wrong tires on your car since the ///M is the only one having NO RFT.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #46
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
My dealer told me that my M3 had runflats as well....you mean they don't??
All BMW's with the exception of the ///M3, 5 and 6 have Run-Flat-Tires (RFT).

To confirm this use a flashlight and carefully examine your tire sidewall description. A RFT has the description in capital letters "RFT" on the side wall a Performance Tire like the one on your car does not. In your trunk when you lift the floor cover you will find a small compressor that you use on the road to inject air into the tire should for some reason you loose air pressure. There is also a sealing solution that will plug tinny leaks.

Most SA people are under the understanding that ALL the BMW tires are RFT and that is simply not true.

Case in point, this past spring at a major Toronto International Auto Show I ask (for fun) the fellow at the BMW display what kind of tires are on the M3 that was displayed. He stated RFT. I just smiled and walked away.

Last week I got a call from a sales manager (before I picked up my 2012 M3) he wanted to sell me tire and wheel insurance he started out "You do know that your new car comes equipped with Run-Flat Tires and we strongly recommend ...." I the manager right there and said ....

"If this car has RFT you can keep it it will be a deal breaker!"

Oh let me confirm that the manager quickly said and put me on hold. About 3 minutes later the manager confirmed "You are right the car comes with performance tires not RFT, you sure know your cars"

So check yourself, and believe me you don't want RFT on your M3.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #47
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks! I will go there and ask for Tony from now on. It's closer to my house anyway. I should have known...this was the same SA that told me to drive at 4000 rpm all the time. So, if I get a flat now, I need to be towed somewhere to get a tire? There goes that nice feeling of security.
You could definetly put run-flat tires on your car next time around when you need tires. Some real enthusiasts would never put them on and I am sure on a track they are not as good and potentially not as soft or comfortable but I had a set on my last bimmer and I actually thought they performed better. The more rigid side-walls inherent in a RFT provides very sharp cornering and zero side-wall flex, which is perfect for any spirited (non-super hardcore) driving such as around the city etc.

Especially if you have EDC and a comfort mode or even normal mode, the RFT's will not be any less comfortable.

If you really like the security of the RFT (especially being a woman and getting stranded) than I would just go for a set of RFT next time.

Personally I do not because they are twice as expensive and I go through rear tires like there is no tomorrow. I redline my car every chance I get and accelerate as hard as possible within legal limits every chance so to me its just not cost effective. However I get the sense you are not racing around the city redlining your car!

Lots of great RFT to choose from as well in high performance summer brands. Good year and michelin make some nice high end RFT
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #48
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
You could definetly put run-flat tires on your car next time around when you need tires. Some real enthusiasts would never put them on and I am sure on a track they are not as good and potentially not as soft or comfortable but I had a set on my last bimmer and I actually thought they performed better. The more rigid side-walls inherent in a RFT provides very sharp cornering and zero side-wall flex, which is perfect for any spirited (non-super hardcore) driving such as around the city etc.

Especially if you have EDC and a comfort mode or even normal mode, the RFT's will not be any less comfortable.

If you really like the security of the RFT (especially being a woman and getting stranded) than I would just go for a set of RFT next time.

Personally I do not because they are twice as expensive and I go through rear tires like there is no tomorrow. I redline my car every chance I get and accelerate as hard as possible within legal limits every chance so to me its just not cost effective. However I get the sense you are not racing around the city redlining your car!

Lots of great RFT to choose from as well in high performance summer brands. Good year and michelin make some nice high end RFT
Thanks for your response.When I need new tires I will definitely consider RFT.I got in the car last night with my daughter, put the top down and we were off to look at Christmas decorations. Guess what light comes on? You guessed it, low air in my right front tire. Really, I could have screamed. We couldn't see a nail in the tire, but I tucked it away and will deal with it this morning.

I really did take comfort in thinking I had RFT. I would never drive a car without a spare and now I really have to evaluate where I take the M3 from now on. I read a bit on the link someone posted about making a spare tire, but with the size of the truck on a vert, can one even fit in there?

Cheryl

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers

Last edited by mamadub; 12-06-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #49
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

wow, that does look odd as how it wore out mostly in the dead center like that. But glad you decieded to finally change them lol.. safe driving

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #50
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

good thing you didn't end up like this guy..

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603457
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #51
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Quote:
Thanks! I will go there and ask for Tony from now on. It's closer to my house anyway. I should have known...this was the same SA that told me to drive at 4000 rpm all the time. So, if I get a flat now, I need to be towed somewhere to get a tire? There goes that nice feeling of security.
You should have an inflater kit in the trunk of your car. It's a product that plugs the leak or puncture and is only good for long enough to get to a tire shop and replace the tire.
You also should have BMW Assist which you could call in the event of a puncture.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #52
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I would definetly put runflats on personally. I want to start some track events so that is the reason not. But for a vert to just cruise pleasurably in, I would do RFT in a heart beat
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #53
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
Rep
Drives: M Drei

Poor alignment... notice how the shoulders still have 60% tread.
Appreciate 0