BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

GT3 Cup Experience

Although it is Porsche content, I thought you might enjoy this vid.

I had the chance to participate in the Porsche Sports Driving School's new GT3 Cup Experience program last Friday, and had the best time of my track life. This was the pilot program to work the kinks out for the full program starting in June, so it was just a single day, normally the program is two days.

We started the day driving the Turbos and GT3s, then got to ride in the Cup car with instructor driving. After lunch we got to drive the Turbos and GT3s again, and finally we got to drive the 2011 brand new Cup car for 45 mins each. It was surreal for me. Much easier to drive than I thought, and I got used to the sequential shifter quite quickly, which had auto-blip and just went all out, as much as I could. This was my first time at Barber Motorsports Park, but the morning exercises helped me learn the line, although I could not master it of course. We basically spent the whole day on the track with no classroom time, from 9 am to 4 pm, save for an hour lunch.

The instructors, facility and the program are first rate, just superb. You can find more details on the outing here: http://gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=231

And the details of the program here: http://www.porschedriving.com/Porsch...--GT3-Cup.aspx

Here is the vid of a short 3-lap session that could have ended in tear, but worked out :
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Sounds incredible! I have a friend going to do this once he finishes the advanced school this fall.

Hope you brought a change of underwear to the track...
      05-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Nice video and fun car. It's so cool how it just keeps pulling hard on every gear change. The ending was a little exciting for you I expect.
Shifting without lifting and clutch is amazing, power never gets cut off, keeps going. Yes, the end of that video was exciting to say the least We came back to the pits, got up on air jacks, which is a sensation in itself, crew checked the car out, and we went back out again for another 4-5 laps. In total I think I got to do about 16-17 laps in that car, was exhilarating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Sounds incredible! I have a friend going to do this once he finishes the advanced school this fall.

Hope you brought a change of underwear to the track...
Yeah, I actually did LOL. I'd highly recommend it to your friend, he'll be very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks for posting. Love that mechanical, raw sound of a real race car. I had a pucker moment myself watching the spin at the end!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Wow, fantastic! That is completely awesome and thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0