BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #309
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I leased a 08' 328xi coupe for myself as my first car. Felt very safe in that thing.
+1 - 328xi would be a very safe first car
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #310
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Oh my b
Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #311
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase93 View Post
My parents got me one when I was seventeen... Now 18 no accidents yet lol... But I've been driving cars since I was 12 and stick since 13... Although I agree that it's a stupid idea I'm glad they did.
lol same position bro! im 18 with an m3.

And also, to everyone else:
I agree that giving an m3 to a teen may ruin the teen's value of money. I have been somewhat spoiled. Although they have given me so much, my value of money remains the same. I know you have to earn it. My parents didnt just throw me the keys and and said "Enjoy it, we love you." I begged for this friggin car. And they make me work 2 jobs. My point is that i have so much aspiration since ive been given so much that I will continue to work hard and do great in life. Especially since I'm very materialistic.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #312
Kaylin032
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and 335d

Garage List
It's not how he drives, but other people

I've driven approximately 300,000 miles with no accidents and this thread got me thinking.

I realized that the faster I drive, the more I focus on how other people are driving because they become much more of a danger to me than I am to myself.

I don't trust new drivers to have that sort of experience or insight.

Within 4 hours of reading this thread, I was driving home from work and stopped at a stop light with a left-sided on-ramp about 100 feet ahead, past the intersection. A base 911 was beside me at the light, and drove like a total d-bag... gunning it into the intersection while the light was still red so he could pull in front of me to make it onto the on-ramp.

I imagined a 16-year old in an M3 trying to make it through the perpendicular yellow light and t-boning the guy.

So I would say keep the car and the kid. Put the M3 in storage and let him get his skills up safely with something else.

K
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #313
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
It's not about money, it's about brains. Kids think they're indestructible, until they find out they're wrong. Over 400 hp for an inexperienced driver. Are you kidding?
This.

Would you buy your kid an M16 and send him out into the woods to play?

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #314
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Guys,

Currently OP has listed his M3 for sale. He's not giving it to his kid. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #315
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92m3allday View Post
......I will continue to work hard and do great in life. Especially since I'm very materialistic.
One day you will realize that doing "great in life" is almost mutually exclusive with being materialistic. Sorry to say, but this statement in and of itself demonstrates the emotional and intellectual growth that you still need to experience. Please don't take this as a put down, because it isn't. You just don't know any better at your age, even though you are convinced that you do.

Here's a tip.....find something you love to do in life because you love to do it, not because of the money you may earn. If you do something really well, the money will follow, and you will be happy doing it. If you just go after money for money's sake, you may get some, but it won't make you happy for very long. You will need more and more to give you the same thrill, just like a junkie.
      11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #316
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

VVG,

You are a very wise person. It's nice to see that we have some wise m3 drivers!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #317
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
One day you will realize that doing "great in life" is almost mutually exclusive with being materialistic. Sorry to say, but this statement in and of itself demonstrates the emotional and intellectual growth that you still need to experience. Please don't take this as a put down, because it isn't. You just don't know any better at your age, even though you are convinced that you do.

Here's a tip.....find something you love to do in life because you love to do it, not because of the money you may earn. If you do something really well, the money will follow, and you will be happy doing it. If you just go after money for money's sake, you may get some, but it won't make you happy for very long. You will need more and more to give you the same thrill, just like a junkie.
Great tip. You are right and I should have explained in more depth what I meant, but I can't deny that you are right about this. I'm only 18, and I still have a lot of growing up to do. I already have my plans of being an architect or civil engineer. I have a passion for the architectural field, so I'm not just chasing the career for the money.

Great comment though, thanks. No offense taken.

Last edited by e92m3allday; 11-09-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #318
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Would never in a million years buy my kid an M3 for their first car for so many different reasons...cost, safety, personal values, just to name a few...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #319
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I am amazed at the amount of 16-20 year old's in this thread. I would of killed myself if I had an M3 at that age.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #320
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I am amazed at the amount of 16-20 year old's in this thread. I would of killed myself if I had an M3 at that age.
I'm extremely responsible but I would have been a serious danger on the road with an M3 at that age. No doubt.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #321
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I'm extremely responsible but I would have been a serious danger on the road with an M3 at that age. No doubt.
I was dangerous enough in a rice rocket turbo civic in my teens...

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #322
JRZBLK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
I'm 17 and I work for myself to pay this car off.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #323
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZBLK View Post
I'm 17 and I work for myself to pay this car off.
17? I worked for $5.05 an hour in those days... Glad to hear you do better. I didn't even have a car then.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #324
F10Fanatic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 525xi

NO
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #325
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylin032 View Post
I've driven approximately 300,000 miles with no accidents and this thread got me thinking.

I realized that the faster I drive, the more I focus on how other people are driving because they become much more of a danger to me than I am to myself.

I don't trust new drivers to have that sort of experience or insight.

Within 4 hours of reading this thread, I was driving home from work and stopped at a stop light with a left-sided on-ramp about 100 feet ahead, past the intersection. A base 911 was beside me at the light, and drove like a total d-bag... gunning it into the intersection while the light was still red so he could pull in front of me to make it onto the on-ramp.

I imagined a 16-year old in an M3 trying to make it through the perpendicular yellow light and t-boning the guy.

So I would say keep the car and the kid. Put the M3 in storage and let him get his skills up safely with something else.

K
I understand what may have influenced your decision. Because you believe that a teen speeding in an M3 may be more prone to running yellow lights than most other cars on the road -- the car should not be given to young kids-- But your experience was a little irrelevant because if an elderly man was practically running a red light, then your argument should be directed towards the elderly, for driving irresponsibly. And secondly, if you look at it this way, you might as well make the claim that majority of the driving population should not be driving sports cars, regardless of their age and experience. The congested traffic conditions on your drive home from work urges most people to attempt to make that yellow light, which may save you a good chunk of time. And sometimes you have to simply make that yellow light otherwise you're going to have to slam your breaks.

Anyways, I'm not trying to start something with you or pick at you for immature reasons, but I'm just trying to say that almost everyone attempts to, or has to, make yellow lights. And if an elderly driver, who (is supposed to be wiser and more responsible than younger drivers who run yellow lights) is running a red light, then you should be preaching against the elderly.

However, I do understand your argument as teens are more likely to attempt to make these yellow lights, and with the addition of an M3 to the picture, its even more likely. I also agree with you that he shouldn't give the car to his daughter. I myself couldn't imagine myself trusting an 18 year old with an m3. I'm very responsible and very lucky to have my parents.

Please do not take offense to anything I have said.

Last edited by e92m3allday; 11-09-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #326
414M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550xi, E92 M3

There are two different issues at play here. The first issue is about the money. Personally, I don't see a problem. If you're wealthy, then why shouldn't you spend it on your loved ones? Sure they may be a little spoiled. But, they should know that came from hard work. Thats whats wrong in this country. People have to apologize for being wealthy.

The second issue is the safety. Sure, maybe the M3 isn't the BEST choice, but if a kid can handle that and be mature then I don't see a problem. If they can't, well, no M for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #327
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by msellars View Post
But, they should know that came from hard work. Thats whats wrong in this country. People have to apologize for being wealthy.
the problem with this is that most wealth doesnt come from hard work the opposite is actually true. the hardest workers tend to also make the least money. once you have money its easy to get more with little to no effort. you can sit at home doing relatively nothing while you pile cash on the backs of low paid workers who will never advance beyond that position.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #328
414M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550xi, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msellars View Post
But, they should know that came from hard work. Thats whats wrong in this country. People have to apologize for being wealthy.
the problem with this is that most wealth doesnt come from hard work the opposite is actually true. the hardest workers tend to also make the least money. once you have money its easy to get more with little to no effort. you can sit at home doing relatively nothing while you pile cash on the backs of low paid workers who will never advance beyond that position.
Thats not true. I work hard everyday, including the weekends. I don't rely on screwing other people to make my money. I'm an immigrant myself. I consider myself wealthy, even though I don't spend much money on cars or other material goods.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #329
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post

Perhaps, but there is a difference between working hard and working hard. (No, that wasn't a type-o.)

For example, take Guy#1 who works hard at his/her studies, makes the most of his opportunities, moves up into a lucrative profession and gets paid a load for his highly specialized skills, ingenuity and ability to generate revenues that feeds the entire company and thereby the economy around him.

One can't compare him to Guy#2 trimming the hedges in the hot sun outside Guy#1's office. Yes, they're both working hard, but the scope of their contributions are different.

Yes, Guy#1 may have earned himself a cushy position in a big air-conditioned office with a hot assistant, but you have to look at it from a earnings-to-contribution perspective. Even if you take it further and look at Guy#1's heir named Guy#3 who may never have to work his way up the ladder, Guy#3 is still contributing by perpetuating his wealth and stimulating the economy around him.

Let's face it. Guy#2 will need to reinvent himself if he wants to build deeper wealth... and buy an M3.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 11-11-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #330
JRZBLK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
Well put Kirk.
Appreciate 0