BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #67
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Came up with another suggestion while checking out the Jet Black e92 parked on Oakhurst this afternoon.

OP - Why not get an e90 "M3" as your beater car to drive to and from the Golden Triangle? You'll have almost as much fun as you do in your coupe without having to care about the car or engine. Just a thought.

Frozen Red guy - I see you rolling down my street fairly often. OP lives on the other side of the alley so there's that. I vote he isn't allowed into our club.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #68
///MPekker
I dont know what I dont even know
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax
Came up with another suggestion while checking out the Jet Black e92 parked on Oakhurst this afternoon.

OP - Why not get an e90 "M3" as your beater car to drive to and from the Golden Triangle? You'll have almost as much fun as you do in your coupe without having to care about the car or engine. Just a thought.

Frozen Red guy - I see you rolling down my street fairly often. OP lives on the other side of the alley so there's that. I vote he isn't allowed into our club.
Throw up a 3 next time you see me. Coffee or lemonade is on me.
OP. Where exactly is your walk. How about a Vespa
      11-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #69
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Sure everyone knows going short distances in a car is not the greatest thing especially with the crappy bearing clearance and connecting rod clearance in these cars....
You are so hung up on those bearings. Seriously, let it go.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #70
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't think it's that big of a deal. You don't live in a climate like nyc where it's 32 degrees and under on winter mornings. Warranty + the fact that lets face it, we don't keep these cars forever. You'll be fine.

I just bought a grom. I'm on the hunt for somewhere to park it in manhattan. I live in queens and if i can find an affordable place to park in manhattan, i'd love to drive it to work. Add a grom to your stable and change things up for fun lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #71
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPekker View Post
Throw up a 3 next time you see me. Coffee or lemonade is on me.
OP. Where exactly is your walk. How about a Vespa
In for the coffee. I go from Doheny and Alden over to Wilshire and Camden across from WME/Equinox and Barney's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I don't think it's that big of a deal. You don't live in a climate like nyc where it's 32 degrees and under on winter mornings. Warranty + the fact that lets face it, we don't keep these cars forever. You'll be fine.

I just bought a grom. I'm on the hunt for somewhere to park it in manhattan. I live in queens and if i can find an affordable place to park in manhattan, i'd love to drive it to work. Add a grom to your stable and change things up for fun lol.

What is a grom? sounds fun. I want one.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #72
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

start commuting on a bicycle!

keep the car for more spirited drives, or weekend drives....
Turner Stage 2 Engine Software | Turner Test Pipes (Front Cat Delete) | AA filter | Exhaust Mod | RPI RAM AIR INDUCTION KIT | AG M359 Wheels | A Style Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Matte Black Signals | BMW spoiler | BMW Alcantara Race Steering Wheel | BMW Matte Black front Kidney Grill l M3 Racing stripes
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post

I'm in too! Does it vibrate?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #74
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
In for the coffee. I go from Doheny and Alden over to Wilshire and Camden across from WME/Equinox and Barney's.

Google honda grom. 125cc motorcycle. Smaller and lighter than a regular motorcycle. Bought it to learn how to wheelie and bust my ass. $3k brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #75
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
i don't have a long commute to work, gym, store, etc. and i also sometimes find that my oil temp is not at normal operating temp when i shut her down... my M is my DD and my only car too and im not going to get another car to drive daily, i enjoy driving this beast way too much

my remedy is maybe take a slightly longer commute to work and maybe using an oil that is better at cooler operating temps. Now Im no oil expert at all, but im changing to M1 0-40 on my next change and i believe this should help.

As for the rob bearing issue, i wouldn't let that stress you out too much. Forums ALWAYS inflate the extent of an issue. As long as you don't heavily mod your M and beat the sh*t out of it, im sure the car will be fine for the extend of your ownership.

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #76
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Using a different oil is not going to change the boiling point of water. If you don’t get the oil (any oil) over that boiling point, your oil essentially becomes a sponge for moisture that sits right inside your engine.
What i was meaning is that you would get better lubrication on your rob bearings with maybe using a different oil that has a better viscosity at colder temps... sorry if i didnt make that clear

Again i said im no expert in oil, and please correct me if im wrong, but thank you for your condescending post

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #77
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

I don't pay $40 a day to own the m3 to just drive it twice a week for 'spirited' or 'fun long' drives.

If a modern car can't be driven daily, 12k miles per year in city driving and hold up to 100k+ miles (at a bare minimum) then it would never roll off the lot.

Give me a break.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomageddon View Post
It is best to actually get the oil up to operating temp. it is not good to continually have "cold" drives. if its such a short commute i would ride a bike or walk or buy a cheaper vehicle for commuting.
Yea, no. Fixing an engine that's under warranty for the next 46000 miles is cheaper than buying and driving a pos car to commute one mile in. Also, walking that distance through this part of LA would take me 22 mins each way.
Where in la are you? My commute is 3.5 miles right now and im moving closer to work.

Might sound funny but im actually thinking of buying a razr

2 miles aint bad i used to do more riding bikes to middle school.

And beats walking.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #79
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

This thread delivers.

I drove my M three times today. (Ha! A pun)

1 - 0.2 miles (moved car)
2 - 7.3 miles (mid-wilshire and back)
3 - 0.2 miles (moved car)

What oil viscosity would be best for my intended vehicle use? 40 weight? 50 weight?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #80
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
This thread delivers.

I drove my M three times today. (Ha! A pun)

1 - 0.2 miles (moved car)
2 - 7.3 miles (mid-wilshire and back)
3 - 0.2 miles (moved car)

What oil viscosity would be best for my intended vehicle use? 40 weight? 50 weight?
Transient M3. Always lookin for a place to sleep and a hot cup of oil. Tough times bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #81
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Wondering how bad it is for my car that I rarely get to properly warm it up on my morning drive in. My commute ends up being about 1.2 miles from my home to office. Only if I take the long way to go to my favorite coffee shop at 6 am do I register an oil temp reading of maybe one column up from the coldest reading.

On the way home I sometimes get it up to normal operating temp before I shut it down or go to the gym which is equally close. I'm not going higher than 3500 rpm on cold which some think is too high already, but will my engine suffer in the long run? I followed proper break in procedures and the car is driven fairly hard up and down the rpm range when warm.

I'd hate to have warped or scored lines inside the rod bearings.
In addition to the amazing amount of simple noise in this string, here's the deal:

Either change the oil every 3k miles or so, or obey what BMW says in the manual in regard to short trips and recommended oil change intervals. That's it.

In addition, since every car I've ever owned has enjoyed being wrung out from time to time, enjoy your weekends. Food for the soul, and good for the car.

Bruce
Appreciate 0