BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Electronics: Audio / Video / Phone / Alarm / Navigation / Radar

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #23
TechNerd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
No disrespect taken, but actually that is factually incorrect. The unit is constantly updated in order to prevent detection from an officers gun. I still use a unit to this day, as do quite a few of my friends, and they have no issues whatsoever (as long as they stay consistent on the updates of course)
Factually, you are wrong.
Laser Jammers are illegal in about 10 states, California being one of them.
The only fines I've ever read about are for Radar Jamming devices (which are different, and illegal in all states) and can reach $50k/5 years in prison.

Not sure why anyone would think disabling a device used by state law enforcement authorities could be "legal", regardless of one's firmware update diligence.

My advice to anyone, stick with radar detectors. They are 100% legal, however cannot be mounted in a windshield in California or Minnesota, and level the playing field a little.
      08-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
Zarilia
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP DCT Silverston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd View Post
The only fines I've ever read about are for Radar Jamming devices (which are different, and illegal in all states) and can reach $50k/5 years in prison.

Not sure why anyone would think disabling a device used by state law enforcement authorities could be "legal", regardless of one's firmware update diligence.

My advice to anyone, stick with radar detectors. They are 100% legal, however cannot be mounted in a windshield in California or Minnesota, and level the playing field a little.
I've always had my radar detecter suction cupped to my windshield in California and have never once been told I couldn't even when pulled over.

It just can't be blocking your visibility.. Like directly in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #25
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd
Quote:
No disrespect taken, but actually that is factually incorrect. The unit is constantly updated in order to prevent detection from an officers gun. I still use a unit to this day, as do quite a few of my friends, and they have no issues whatsoever (as long as they stay consistent on the updates of course)

$50k/5 years....have you lost the plot mate
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
TechNerd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not entirely sure I understand your question, but I can clarify - if you are caught and prosecuted for obtaining and utilizing a radar jamming device, you can be fined up to $50k and/or serve a maximum of 5 years in prison.
      09-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #27
TechNerd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarilia View Post
I've always had my radar detecter suction cupped to my windshield in California and have never once been told I couldn't even when pulled over.

It just can't be blocking your visibility.. Like directly in front of you.
Then the cops who have pulled you over either were cool about it or did not see it. I doubt you pointed to it asking if it's ok to have, amiright?

Edit: I've been pulled over more than a sweater during Christmas during my driving career and have only once been asked to remove the tint from my front windows. Every car I've ever owned (all 15 of them) has had tint on the front windows and I've always lived in California where it has always been illegal. Just saying.
      09-16-2015, 12:10 AM   #28
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd
Quote:
Not entirely sure I understand your question, but I can clarify - if you are caught and prosecuted for obtaining and utilizing a radar jamming device, you can be fined up to $50k and/or serve a maximum of 5 years in prison.
I'll translate, "Have you lost the plot" means, "Are you out of your mind"...being caught with laser jammers in California is a misdemeanour...NOT a felony. five years of prison?! $50,000?!?! Where in the hell are you getting your information mate. The penalty ranges from $99 to $200...that's it.
Appreciate 0