BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #45
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck1 View Post
The reason why I pose this question is that there is another thread on the forum about why people love Porsches so much. Is the 911 praised for it's around practicallity (i.e. price, quality, and depenabaliltiy) ? Is it the true next step into a super car, but not so high in the stratosphere that is too high to reach like the Ferarri and Lambo? For me, the 911 Turbo has always been a dream since childhood. I knew that I would not reach my pinnicale unitl I have one. And I'm getting closer all the time to it. But for now, my M3 is good enough for what I want it for and what I can afford at this time in my life. This is my third M3, I've had a E36, E46, and now E92. Loved them all, but I'm always longing for that 911 Turbo. With the price of M3's now reaching almost 80k, it's not too far away from P-car prices, especially if you consider certified pre-own cars under 5000 miles and close to 100K for 2009 Turbos. What do you guys think? Is the M3 that transitional car or are we all just going to buy M3 after M3?
Based on what you have posted, it seems to me that the answer to your question in your instance is a "Yes" since your longing is for another model whose cost, at least for now, is prohibitive. However, the often used "poor man's car" is at best one that has multiple interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Is The M3 "The Poor Man's Super Car"?... Is a good philosophical question, so let's not get entangled in the definition of rich or poor.

Another way to look at it is this... Given unlimited funds, would the M3 still be our favorite car of choice? Or is the M3 a compromise for something else you or I would prefer to be driving? I must venture to say YES, the M3 is the Poor Man's Super Car.

I purchased an E90 because I have a practical need for 4-doors to accommodate an occasional family outing. I also wanted an all-in-one daily driver with performance power and handling to spice up my commute.

All the money in the world? The Aston Martin Rapide would have been ideal... starting at $199,950. Too rich for my blood... for now.

I suppose a typical E92 driver would prefer to be in a GT3RS... starting at $135,500. Only double the price of an M3.

Certainly, who is poor or rich for these numbers is relative.
To play the role of devil's advocate...Unless the Rapide became the end all to present and future supercar wants, it too would ultimately suffer the branding fate of the M3 since it, the Rapide, would assume the role of "poor man's car" the instant something more expensive became the focal point of your supercar desires. Ain't that a b!tch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck1 View Post
Very well said. If dropping $150K on a car wasn't an issue, I most likely would not be driving and M3, but would deffinitely be driving a 911 Turbo.
If money was not an object, I'd probably be flying rather than driving streets and road with open-wheel cars stashed away for road circuit stints on a whim. My ability to appreciate the M3 for what it is satisfies my desire for a vehicle that performs within a specific range, and the same is true for any other vehicle(s). I suppose that is why some find it necessary to have warehouses for their specialty cars as opposed to multiple stall garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post

OP - Your question can't be answered without specifying what you consider to be a "poor man" and what you consider to be a "supercar". If I could afford a Veyron, chances are that almost all of the people that look to the 911s (TTS, GT3, etc) as they're dream car are probably "poor" in my books. At the same time, there are people out there that dream of the day that they will own a car like an Acura, Inifiniti, etc. True life example - When my dad bought my mom a 2001 Accord EX, my mom teared up and said the following: "It's always been a dream of mine to have a car that has a moonroof". We were by no means poor, but that's just where her expectations were set. Fast forward 10yrs and she's since had a 5 series and currently an S-class. How the world turns.

That being said, sure you can ask your question, but what kind of answer are you looking for? On the broad level (the level with the most generaliztion), I would answer your question as such: The M3 is not the poor man's supercar. There are other cars out there that give you more horsepower per dollar spent (A regular Corvette to name one). I'm sure people will argue that horsepower alone doesn't define a supercar. I agree 100%. Just keep in mind it's a broad answer to a broad question.

I think you are correct about needing greater clarity from the OP to better answer him. However, I'm choking on the notion that an M3 is a supercar since it wasn't created for that role. As for what is a "poor man"...To me, a poor man is what each of is since we have limited resources and are cursed with unlimited wants. For practical purposes, a "poor man" is one who has ambitions toward owning that he cannot and will never be able to have. He then purchases something that is affordable and tries his damnedest to convince himself that he is happy with his predicament.
      01-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #46
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
If money was not an object, I'd probably be flying rather than driving streets and road with open-wheel cars stashed away for road circuit stints on a whim. My ability to appreciate the M3 for what it is satisfies my desire for a vehicle that performs within a specific range, and the same is true for any other vehicle(s). I suppose that is why some find it necessary to have warehouses for their specialty cars as opposed to multiple stall garages.
That is a very interesting point!

Is the automobile, the poor man's personal jet?!
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #47
Xelloss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

I haven't posted in awhile but this thread got me somewhat incensed. After some spelunking online and debating myself where the M3 stands, I believe this old thread has more poignant posts regarding the M3's status as an economical supercar.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-347185.html

"I feel the need...

...the need for speed!"
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #48
travelinman53
Olde Fart Young at Heart
Rep
Drives: 08 335, 95 M3

Garage List
95 M3  [0.00]
For me the E90 M3 is the most practical, high performance automobile that I would consider owning which is within my means. With that being said, if practicality and cost were not considerations then I would go for a 997 GT3RS based on prior experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

If we are strictly talking about performance the M3 can give a few "Supercars" a good run for the money but in my opinion the terms "Affordable Super" and "Practical Supercar" are oxymorons.

IMO the term "Supercar" implies exclusivity and unaffordability and "Supercars" are not based in production models and are built in very limited numbers.

"Supercars" are not intended to be practical, affordable or to be daily drivers and they are almost without exception not the only car in the stables of their owners. "Supercars" are generally the highest end and most expensive models of marques that are already expensive and exclusive. There is generally no atempt made to cut costs on a supercar because the manufacturers realize that the limited production will be sold out regardless of price.

As an example I would say that Pagoni Zonda, Bugatti Veyron, and Ferrari Enzo qualify as Supercars and the M3. Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06 and Corvette ZR1 do not, regardless of how well they perform.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-28-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #50
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The exhaust of a Porsche is euphonous...pure music to your ears. I think BMW needs to make their M model cars sound a little more aggressive. I'm not undermining the fact that the V8 in the E9x has eliminated the need for a radio, but when you compare the exhaust note of a porsche, corvette, mustang...the M3 exhaust sounds like a 12 year old boy going through puberty.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #51
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I don't think an M3 or any 911 (except for the GT2's) is a super car.

I just think a Porsche 911 is the next step up in both performance and driving experience. A 911 GT3 or GT3 RS is not a super car IMO but is a serious track machine.

When I think Super car I think Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, 911 GT2RS, Mercedes SLR McLaren and Lamborghini Murcielago....... Cars like that are super cars.
      01-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #52
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

I just went from an '09 997.2 Carrera S to a 2011 M3 ZCP.

I had dreamed of owning a 911 since my neighbor bought one brand new in Carrera White when I was 13. I simply fell in love with that car at first sight.

Before buying my Carrera I had owned many BMW's including a couple of E46 M3's.

When I posed the question here about selling my Carrera S and buying an M3 it seemed that most E9X M3 owners thought I was crazy, that I was taking a step backwards.

For me, however, the dream of owning a 911 was better than the actual ownership experience. No mechanical or electrical issues with the 911 and i *did* enjoy driving it very much....I simply enjoy the M3 more.

The 911's are fantastic and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, but you need to make sure you prefer the entire Porsche layout and overall experience versus that of the M3 before making a move.

One word of advice: Whereas I love my E90 M3 with the DCT, if you go Carrera, for God's sake go manual tranny and not PDK. The 911 is a car best enjoyed with three pedals!
YMMV!

P.S. If you ever do buy a Carrera buy a used one like This One. In 18 months of garaged and carefully maintained ownership and with a mere 6500 miles on the odo.....with not a single chip or scratch.....my '09 C2S went from its sticker price of just over $95K (selling price of $87,500.00) to a private party selling price of $68,000.....which I was fortunate to actually get for it.

Best trade in quote was $66,000.00. That's a mighty big depreciation hit if you ask me and I've done way more buying and selling than would be considered healthy by most folks!
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 01-28-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #53
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
The C63 with AMG development package can also give a lot of supercars a run for their money, but CA, if a car performs like a supercar, why not call it a supercar? It has the abilities of one.
What about the Subaru WRX STI and its competitors? Are they supercars?

Although cars like the M3 and GT3 have some attiributes of a "Supercar" IMO a car that is based in a massed produced model is not a supercar, but there seems to be a variety of definitions to the term "Supercar".

For instance IMO Porsce Supercars have been the 959 and the Carrera GT rather than any commercially availble varients of the 911 regardless of how potent they were.

IN many resoects car like M3s and GT3s may be "better" than supercars but they lack the supercar "Panache" and exclusivity.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #54
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
if you own a m3 you ain't poor
Totally agree. Not sure why people think it is a "poor mans supercar." The car is a lot of money when you consider the average salary of people in the US.
2011 E92 M3- Retired
2011 E90 335- Retired
2008 E92 335- Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #55
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A supercar does have to be rare. Good point.
I think perhaps a better queestion than "Is the M3 the Poor Man's Supercar?" would have been "Does the M3 offer near supercar performance at a relatively affordable price?'

My answer to that question would be yes.

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #56
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cars in 1986 didn't get to 60 on 3.9 seconds.
1989 Supercars did.

The Porsche 959 and the higher performance variations of the Lamborghini Countach were also sub 4 second 0-60 cars from 1986.

Some cars from the 1960s (notably the Ford GT40 and the Cobra Daytona Coupe) were also sub 4 second 0-60 cars. I suppose an argument could be made that they were really race cars but there were street legal versions sold and I would consider them the supercars of their era.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-28-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #57
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The F40. If Ferrari would only make a successor...
They did. It was called the F50

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #58
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Rich Man's Supercars

Supercar Collection of late collector Benny Caiola to be auctioned off

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/30/f...dline-gooding/

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #59
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A current day successor. I would love to see what they can do.
The Enzo was in a sense the F60 and the current 599 GTO could be considered a sucessor.

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #60
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
If we are strictly talking about performance the M3 can give a few "Supercars" a good run for the money but in my opinion the terms "Affordable Super" and "Practical Supercar" are oxymorons.

IMO the term "Supercar" implies exclusivity and unaffordability and "Supercars" are not based in production models and are built in very limited numbers.

"Supercars" are not intended to be practical, affordable or to be daily drivers and they are almost without exception not the only car in the stables of their owners. "Supercars" are generally the highest end and most expensive models of marques that are already expensive and exclusive. There is generally no atempt made to cut costs on a supercar because the manufacturers realize that the limited production will be sold out regardless of price.

As an example I would say that Pagoni Zonda, Bugatti Veyron, and Ferrari Enzo qualify as Supercars and the M3. Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06 and Corvette ZR1 do not, regardless of how well they perform.

CA

You hit the nail right on the head. I think for a car to be classified as a super car it has to be unattainable to the average person.

To have super car like performance and be a super car are two different things.

The GTR Below is a good example. It can run the quarter-mile quicker than a Veyron but no matter how you slice it it is no Veyron...... It is a GTR with Veyron-like performance. Anyone with a GTR and 40-50K to spend on the engine and transmission can own one. To own a Veyron you need to be someone with bottomless pockets. No matter how long me or the majority of people in the world save for a Veyron we are not gonna be able to buy one. I could however Buy a GTR tomorrow and have AMS do the Alpha 10 upgrade for me if that were what I wanted. That difference is what separates a super car from a car with super car like performance.

01-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #61
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
In many respects, car like M3s and GT3s may be "better" than supercars but they lack the supercar "Panache" and exclusivity.
Excellent point. And that's exactly mine. I bet most supercars don't drive any better than the M3, and you certainly don't need the extra performance, which only tempts you to do something utterly stupid . I consider the M3 the best 'high-tech' performance value for a driving enthusiast. The best peformance value for a driving enthusiast has to be the Vette, but although less powerful, I much prefer the S65, as well as the MUCH better seats and interior of the M3.

I honestly don't desire to own most supercars. Drive them for a day, sure. But own them, no. The one I'd buy is the Aston Martin Vantage V8. I could buy a pristine used one with a few grand more than what I could get for my M3, but am not going to do that. But that car is exactly what I like: elegant, aggressive, beautiful from every angle, sporty but luxurious at the same time, and the best 6MT tranny I've experienced. A friend let me drive his, and it was a great experience. Leather everywhere, and alcantara on the headliner. And QUIETER than the M3 inside . Later gang.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #62
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Purchasing a supercar is one thing. Paying for maintenance is another,

According to AutoCar, a routine service for a Veyron costs a whopping £12,866 ($21,033 USD), whereas an annual service for a Ferrari Enzo is £1680 ($2,746 USD). A set of new tires will run you £23,500 ($38,417 USD), and that’s because they have to be capable of handling a top speed of 253 mph. Moving forward, every fourth tire change, the Veyron’s wheels must be replaced, leaving you with a bill of £7050 ($11,525 USD) per wheel.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #63
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Purchasing a supercar is one thing. Paying for maintenance is another,

According to AutoCar, a routine service for a Veyron costs a whopping £12,866 ($21,033 USD), whereas an annual service for a Ferrari Enzo is £1680 ($2,746 USD). A set of new tires will run you £23,500 ($38,417 USD), and that’s because they have to be capable of handling a top speed of 253 mph. Moving forward, every fourth tire change, the Veyron’s wheels must be replaced, leaving you with a bill of £7050 ($11,525 USD) per wheel.
just slap on some vredesteins!
      01-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #64
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
When is a $60k - $70k car a poor man's car?!?! We are so messed up with our perceptions.
+1

just got some food stamps today, I better go trade them for a m3 real quick....

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #65
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
Before buying my M3 I test drove the Porsche 911 Carerra S...and I must say, though the Porsche handled better to me (might have been the rear engine) the speed really didn't blow the M3 out the water. I had the option to buy the Porsche, but i went with the M3 and I definitely do not regret that decision one bit. In my opinion, it's an overall better car. It's way more practical (*******, and unless you're a car enthusiast, all Porsche's look the same and the design of them is poor and not very appealing.
I always say that lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #66
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

+1 M3 and 911 definitely NOT the Supercar....just nice and great Sports car!!
Supercar are like Enzo Zonda LFA etc.........!!
Appreciate 0