BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #67
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 S2K, e92, 5.0

so.....here is the deal... my old on the left and new on the right!

I have really enjoyed the Bimmer and nothing at all was wrong with it. Was just looking for more "excitement"......

I am excited!

Thanks to all who have contributed your input.

However, I am certain my next BMW isn't too far away

Last edited by notasensei; 08-07-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #68
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I was in the market for a 3rd car as a fun car. Initially my wife and I looked at an '06 MX-5, but the deal fell through because the car was a nightmare. I got frustrated and upped the ante to the S2000. I fell in love with the idea of the car, but when it came to driving one, I was frankly a little "depressed" at the value ratio. Don't get me wrong, its a good car, but a little too go-cart-ish, especially for the money they command up here. To add to the trouble, I couldn't find an S2000 owner that wanted to part with theirs (I even offered a guy over his asking price and he rejected). Frustrated with that venture, I came across the M Roadster for about the same money.

I found that the Ms were generally in better condition (lower milage) here, and wow, apples and oranges in terms of power. Yes, the Z4M is heavier and bulkier, but for all the complaints that I read in reviews that it is stiff and harsh, it is nowhere near the S2000. We love the M, and while I realize the maintenance and general ownership costs will be higher, in terms of a street car, I think it wins hands down. The interior is such a better place to be, and all the creature comforts (memory seats, fully automatic top, better stereo, awesome steering wheel) make this a comfortable daily driver.

I'm sure you'll love the S2000, its a good car, and on the track it may even take the Z4M, but as an "overall", I simply love the torque of the M engine....puts a smile on my face every day (and hey; it revs to pretty much the same as an AP2 S2K)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #69
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Ahhhh!! I love these cars. It's so hard to find a mint condition white S2K here in the Bay Area. All are pretty much salvaged AND overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #70
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I have an AP2 S2000 with ~9500 miles (2004). The car is so quick to respond and has great handling balance on the track. The only complaints are that the seats aren't that comfortable and there is no elbow room for me (I'm 6'2, 170lbs).

It's loud with the softtop but livable with a hardtop. Wish I had Aux input or iPod for the commute, but I guess it's more of a toy car than my E90 M3 so I can live with it.

I was actually thinking about trading it in for a Cayman S this week. This thread is making me reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #71
ed1981
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Congrats OP, now I have that bug too. I've been looking craigslist, autotrader, recyler for an s2k. I do only want to get it as a 2nd car though and keep my e90.

Do you telling the price you got yours for? (yr, mileage)

Thanks and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #72
JesterEXW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

Enjoy the new ride, I recently sold my AP1 S2K... I really miss it.

By the way, S2Ki is a great forum with some great members. The community for those cars is pretty awesome, right up there with this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #73
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

S2000 is like mopeds and fat chicks....

.....fun until your friends see you riding one.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #74
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1981 View Post
Congrats OP, now I have that bug too. I've been looking craigslist, autotrader, recyler for an s2k. I do only want to get it as a 2nd car though and keep my e90.

Do you telling the price you got yours for? (yr, mileage)

Thanks and enjoy
Thanks. It's been great fun so far! I landed on a 2008 and a hair less than 20k mi. Garage kept, there wasn't a single scratch under the front bumper (I know they couldn't replace the bumper because the OEM lip had been discontinued a while back), I paid a little over $20K for it. If you have the option, definitely keep the e90/92/93 and have the s2k as a 2nd car. I have no family obligations right now, which is a big factor for me to get it... but I can certainly imagine this car not being very practical with other circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #75
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
S2000 is like mopeds and fat chicks....

.....fun until your friends see you riding one.

I'm not in the teen-rice crowd and I don't really worry how my friends "see" me....in fact, they appreciate the s2K greatly just like I do, and a few of them own e92 M3's.

I just can't keep up with them on the highway
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #76
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterEXW View Post

By the way, S2Ki is a great forum with some great members. The community for those cars is pretty awesome, right up there with this one.
I hate that forum. Everytime I visit, it makes me want to buy one, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #77
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I have an AP2 S2000 with ~9500 miles (2004). The car is so quick to respond and has great handling balance on the track. The only complaints are that the seats aren't that comfortable and there is no elbow room for me (I'm 6'2, 170lbs).

It's loud with the softtop but livable with a hardtop. Wish I had Aux input or iPod for the commute, but I guess it's more of a toy car than my E90 M3 so I can live with it.

I was actually thinking about trading it in for a Cayman S this week. This thread is making me reconsider.
2004 w/ONLY 9500 mi??? Nice.

I have heard GREAT things about Cayman S. I'm also a big fan of 2013 Boxster S as well (Chris Harris did a great review on a red one...youtube if you'd like to see)...well balanced, athletic cars. Although when it's time for me to get a Porsche, my only choice would be a GT3...just me though
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #78
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterEXW View Post

I wonder what ap1 9k rpm is like. 8k is already pretty incredible (still new to me).

Absolutely, just need some filtering but for the most part, there is a ton of great knowledge and experience on s2ki. Same with iwsti.com when I used to have my sti. When I owned the mustang, I did not bother to visit Mustang forums lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #79
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Just test drove a champ white '06 S2000. Priced 19,000 with 55,000 miles.

Kinda disappointed.

Loved the shifter. Insane gate.
Hit a few twisties. Inspired confidence. Felt precise and controlled. Very little roll.
It's a nice drive. Felt compliant, but capable over bumps.

Now the disappointment:
Maybe I am not used to NA motors anymore, but I thought the pull would build more into 5k rpm than it did. Normal???
Sounded really strained like I shouldn't be revving that high. Normal???
If that is normal I can adapt.

The worst:
I am only 5'11". Cockpit was nice and compact. However the driver position was way off and NONADJUSTABLE. Felt like I was looking down like driving a truck and not looking up and out.
I couldn't lower the seat and there is NO telescopic wheel?????? WTF. This was a $35G car new. No telescopic wheel?
Felt like I had to drive with my hands in my lap. Shuffle steering is one thing, but bumping into my thighs on quick chicanes is another.

Maybe it's my style of driving. I sit low to the ground and have the wheel high and close to me. Felt like my arms were straight out like the old style F1 drivers from the 60's.

Not dogging you guys that own them, b/c this was the only car I was looking to get for a "fun" car. Still love the car, just doesn't feel right.

Anyone else test drive one and feel this way?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #80
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

miiipilot- I will try to address you comments as I'm still fairly new to the s2k, from e92 (which I believe has similar driving position to 1 series, but I'm not sure)

Disclaimer is we're not trying to sell anyone an s2k here. Just feedback and discussions (like we've been doing) and differences between that and bimmers...just fYI...

-S2K's engine is very different from N54/N55. It lacks torque in low/mid range, on top of that VTEC does not kick in until 6K rpm or so.

-When I first started driving s2k, I thought the engine would be so strained (is this going to blow up?) since I was taking it to 7k-8k rpm...eventually I got used to it...that's what it is built for...and I've begin to find a lot of thrill in revving that engine.

-Driving position: It is different than e92. Steering wheel is non-adjustable and seat height is "fixed" since it could only be moved fore-aft, very little incline adjustment also. But for the most part it took me little time to get used to it... it is definitely more snug than a bimmer, but the way I look at it...as soon as I get in, my hands fall on the steering wheel and shifter, where as before in the bimmer, I felt like I had to "reach" for the shifter. Bimmer's position is more comfortable for long drives I would say.

That's just my $.01, anyone else agree-disagree feel free to chime in.

Also...don't be afraid to rev it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
Just test drove a champ white '06 S2000. Priced 19,000 with 55,000 miles.

Kinda disappointed.

Loved the shifter. Insane gate.
Hit a few twisties. Inspired confidence. Felt precise and controlled. Very little roll.
It's a nice drive. Felt compliant, but capable over bumps.

Now the disappointment:
Maybe I am not used to NA motors anymore, but I thought the pull would build more into 5k rpm than it did. Normal???
Sounded really strained like I shouldn't be revving that high. Normal???
If that is normal I can adapt.

The worst:
I am only 5'11". Cockpit was nice and compact. However the driver position was way off and NONADJUSTABLE. Felt like I was looking down like driving a truck and not looking up and out.
I couldn't lower the seat and there is NO telescopic wheel?????? WTF. This was a $35G car new. No telescopic wheel?
Felt like I had to drive with my hands in my lap. Shuffle steering is one thing, but bumping into my thighs on quick chicanes is another.

Maybe it's my style of driving. I sit low to the ground and have the wheel high and close to me. Felt like my arms were straight out like the old style F1 drivers from the 60's.

Not dogging you guys that own them, b/c this was the only car I was looking to get for a "fun" car. Still love the car, just doesn't feel right.

Anyone else test drive one and feel this way?
Appreciate 0