BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011

Tracking ISF and GT3 pics and video

This is from another forum and though some of you would find this intresting the OP owns ISF and 2010 997.2 GT3 he took them both to track and this what occured it shows that ISF is indeed decent track car and can hang with cars in its class.

Took the ISF out to the track for the first time ever. Have had only one past day at the Ridge Motorsports Park with the GT3. Here are some pictures from this past Friday with the ISF & GT3.

So, I've have been unhappy with the ISF's lack of traction until I changed from MPS1's to MPSS. The car transformed. I had enough confidence to drive the car more than 7/10ths now.

Was not sure what to expect (cautiously optimistic), but this car blew me away looking back at video and my memories with it. I took it out for my first session of the day for 45min of track time.

ACCELERATION - ISF > GT3 out of low speed turns. The torque on the ISF was a huge difference. This track rewards high torque cars with corners 4/5, 8a/b, 11 & 15. GTR's, GT2's, Vipers and Vettes make way on my GT3 on each of these corners. 317 lbs/ft of torque for the 2010 GT3 (pitiful in comparison). Power came on both cars very predictably and linear. I thought I got over forced induction cars, but with this RMSP track - I'm tempted with the power advantage.

SPEED - I ended up at 220km/hr prior to braking into turn 1. My GT3 ended up around 238km/hr. On my last track day, I hit 245km/hr pushing to catch the GT2. GT2 told me he hit over 270km/hr (?!).

HANDLING - ISF had more body roll (duh). However, nowhere close to what I would have expected. With the MPSS, the car was confidence inspiring. No real comparison. Transitions from L to R load or vice versa obviously was distant to the GT3.

TIRES - for dry grip, I don't have an apples to apples comparison. However, it is obvious to me that the MPSS on the ISF communicated noticeably better nearing its grip limit (you can hear them! Reminded me of the MXX3's back in the day) versus the RE11's on my GT3. I would replace the RE11's with MPSS next. MPSS put the power down to the ISF impeccably. Seriously shocked.

BRAKES - I am on race pads (Pagid Yellow SR29s) on the GT3. The brakes are perfect on the car and I gain in braking zones with the best of them. Great feel, consistency, no fade, predictable. I was expecting the ISF to have mushy brakes after 3-5laps,... NOPE, that didn't happen. They were consistent and predictable. VERY impressed.

RELIABILITY - nothing felt shaky on the ISF, no overheating of any fluids, felt bulletproof like my GT3. Very impressed.

FUN FACTOR - I would take my ISF out to terrorize people. Everyone I passed felt pretty embarrassed. You guys would have loved the comments from everyone after the first session. "So, that's a Lexus?!"; "What is that car? It's really quick?"; "You must be on R-compounds, modded, etc..." It was pretty funny.

CONCLUSION - I had no idea how quick I was in the Lexus. I just had a good time and trying to get one clean lap for you guys. I now have looked at the video and I'm seriously shocked. I am running ~2:04 lap at the Ridge (approximation from GoPro video time) and with that same comparison, I am at ~2:00 lap with the GT3. I never got any clean laps with the GT3 this weekend, so can't compare same conditions (it was slightly wet my first day out with the GT3). There's probably a +/- 2 seconds to these times as they are raw estimates with GoPro footage.

Video of my quickest clean lap with the car:

Video playing with Lotus Elise, 997.1 GT3, modded Mustang

One video for CL members - passing cars with ISF (never gets boring!)

Let me know what else you guys want to know. I'll add to this post if you guys give me key words. Thanks for getting me to get this out on the track. I think I am faster in the ISF than some friends in their GT3 RS'. I'll go out to try and see if I am right next time.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I drove an ISF a couple of times at Skip Barber at Lime Rock. Fun car, good noises, a blast on the infield autocross course where the back end gets wiggly putting power down coming out of corners, but overall not a threat to the M3, which was just so much better in terms of control and response on the main track. (We drove an ISF, M3, 911, Cayman, and Lotus Exige S.)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Thanks for the post.

It appears, based on the wheels, that his car is an older F that doesn't have the latest suspension updates that are supposed to make the car handle even better. Either way it is nice to see someone out on the track having fun with his performance cars.

After I get a clear bra installed I plan to start tracking my '12 IS-F. I know that the mod my car needs the most is a more experienced pilot.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I dunno how this is evidence that the IS-F can hang with cars in its class since the GT3 is way faster on track and out of its class and there was no M3 for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I dunno how this is evidence that the IS-F can hang with cars in its class since the GT3 is way faster on track and out of its class and there was no M3 for comparison.
I didn't take it as a testament that the IS-F is faster than these other cars on the track so much as an example of what a good driver can do in a sports sedan with good tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post

This what I was referring to when I said ISF can Hang with cars in its class at no point did I or OP lay claim that ISF is faster then GT3,M3, etc The OP stated he ran his GT3 in 2:00 albeit in less than idea weather condition and his ISF in 2:04 like he stated +/- .02 so let call it 2:06 I don't know about you but any car that is running that close in time to me is car that can keep up with pack. I say not bad for a 4 door (Toyota) I mean Lexus sport sedan that weights 700lbs more.

CONCLUSION - I had no idea how quick I was in the Lexus. I just had a good time and trying to get one clean lap for you guys. I now have looked at the video and I'm seriously shocked. I am running ~2:04 lap at the Ridge (approximation from GoPro video time) and with that same comparison, I am at ~2:00 lap with the GT3. I never got any clean laps with the GT3 this weekend, so can't compare same conditions (it was slightly wet my first day out with the GT3). There's probably a +/- 2 seconds to these times as they are raw estimates with GoPro footage.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Cannot compare pears and apples. Even more so if you drive 7/10ths and hit traffic on diffrent days. You will have diffrent times in the same car on diffrent days on the same track depending on temp, surface, wind etc
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Why is this post even in the M3 forums? Go post it in a Toyota forum, or if you want people to really laugh at you, post it in the Porsche forums. As others have stated, passing cars at HPDEs is more indicative of driving skill than car performance. I'm willing to bet that you'll get embarrassed by Miatas at the track if you don't even understand that point. Forum racing is dumb, take your car out to the track and find out for yourself how capable the car is and more importantly, how capable you are.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Why is this post even in the M3 forums? Go post it in a Toyota forum, or if you want people to really laugh at you, post it in the Porsche forums. As others have stated, passing cars at HPDEs is more indicative of driving skill than car performance. I'm willing to bet that you'll get embarrassed by Miatas at the track if you don't even understand that point. Forum racing is dumb, take your car out to the track and find out for yourself how capable the car is and more importantly, how capable you are.
WOW so angry I find this sooo funny you need to be careful or this could happen to you is it true that your secret is that your angry all the time you know like in new Avengers movie ? hey army were just discussing cars here not life or death but once again the Fanboy jumps in, feeling some how that his honor has been slighted in some manner and they must come to defense of his beloved vehicle buy half truths, put down and other assorted insults, if i missed anything let me know guys. I believe most M3 owner are car enthusiast other wise they wouldn't own one and for the most part they can appreciate what other cars bring to table but you always have few Fanboys that are closed minded and they are typical loudest and most opinionated ones. I have friends that own all kinds of cars including M3's so I posted this open so they can see what other cars are currently capable of doing in hands of skilled pilot.

At no point did I or OP say ISF was faster, prettier, cooler, better in anyway than his own GT3 he even points out time difference between his GT3 and his friends GT2 how they were both faster then ISF, what he did say was he was surprised how well it did once he changed tires.

And what I said was any car that is within 04. of lead cars is vehicle that can hang with pack not beat or pass GT3 on track. I have know illusion of grandeur and think stock ISF could in any way outperforme GT3 on the track its to heavy and not designed like Porsche which is track car set up for the street vs ISF that's street car that can be driven on track. The OP stated his time in GT3 was 2:00 and that in ISF it was 2:04 +/- :02 due to poor wet weather condition which mostly likely slowed his times down while tracking his GT3, but considering these two cars are in two totally different class, price point, weight with GT3 at 3100lbs to 3800lbs ISF I say not bad for 4 door sport sedan that weights 700lbs more.

This should be fun lets break down some of your statements

Army you asked Why is this even posted M3 forums isn't this M3 VS??? were people post up race story's, compare cares,post videos, talk about other brands why right now they have threads discussing 991, 911 turbos, GTR, ZO6s, GT500 and GT,FRS isn't that Toyota, G37, C63 do I need to go on.

Let look at this statement so mad ([B]I'm willing to bet that you'll get embarrassed by Miatas at the track if you don't even understand that point) becareful you could blow gasket and this could happen You are positively, absolutely, 100% correct a great driver in MX5 would kick my ass on the track and yours as well that is unless your pro driver or experienced driving instructor I have seen many miata beat up on C63,M3,ISF,997,etc, so I actually agree with you on this one go figure.

This is good one (Forum racing is dumb, take your car out to the track and find out for yourself how capable the car is and more importantly, how capable you are.) That was not nice you hurt my feelings but this is amazing you are right Forum racing is dumb and that exactly what your doing making assumption about me based on what because I posted thread showing what different car brand was doing at the track. Say it is so just shoot me now

Well let me go before this begins I should have warn my Nomex racing suit damn it, let the flaming begin this going to hurt

Go ARMY

Oh and by the way I have tracked my ISF at two tracks so far you may have heard of them Limerock and NJMP

Holy Crap are those Miata in front me what am I going to do
Name:  GEDC0794.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  144.1 KB

Miata's in front of me Miata's in back of me yea do I drive through valley of death I shall fear no Miata for I have 416hp and 387tq and will kill them in straights.lol
Name:  GEDC0793.JPG
Views: 897
Size:  152.6 KB

Thats me waiting for my turn on track, look the fear on my face
Name:  GEDC0821.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  145.3 KB

Damn it ! got caught in break ducts again I hate when that happens

Name:  GEDC0889.JPG
Views: 789
Size:  159.1 KB

Name:  GEDC0901.JPG
Views: 806
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  GEDC0912.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  GEDC0915.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  GEDC0918.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  127.6 KB

Last edited by davcrz5; 05-20-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Don't be so butt hurt. Go enjoy your Toyota instead of wasting your time trying to impress M3 drivers. You just wasted how many days writing this response? I can find much better use of my time. lol. Oh and I didn't bother reading it....hahahhaaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcrz5 View Post
WOW so angry I find this sooo funny you need to be careful or this could happen to you is it true that your secret is that your angry all the time you know like in new Avengers movie ? hey army were just discussing cars here not life or death but once again the Fanboy jumps in, feeling some how that his honor has been slighted in some manner and they must come to defense of his beloved vehicle buy half truths, put down and other assorted insults, if i missed anything let me know guys. I believe most M3 owner are car enthusiast other wise they wouldn't own one and for the most part they can appreciate what other cars bring to table but you always have few Fanboys that are closed minded and they are typical loudest and most opinionated ones. I have friends that own all kinds of cars including M3's so I posted this open so they can see what other cars are currently capable of doing in hands of skilled pilot.

At no point did I or OP say ISF was faster, prettier, cooler, better in anyway than his own GT3 he even points out time difference between his GT3 and his friends GT2 how they were both faster then ISF, what he did say was he was surprised how well it did once he changed tires.

And what I said was any car that is within 04. of lead cars is vehicle that can hang with pack not beat or pass GT3 on track. I have know illusion of grandeur and think stock ISF could in any way outperforme GT3 on the track its to heavy and not designed like Porsche which is track car set up for the street vs ISF that's street car that can be driven on track. The OP stated his time in GT3 was 2:00 and that in ISF it was 2:04 +/- :02 due to poor wet weather condition which mostly likely slowed his times down while tracking his GT3, but considering these two cars are in two totally different class, price point, weight with GT3 at 3100lbs to 3800lbs ISF I say not bad for 4 door sport sedan that weights 700lbs more.

This should be fun lets break down some of your statements

Army you asked Why is this even posted M3 forums isn't this M3 VS??? were people post up race story's, compare cares,post videos, talk about other brands why right now they have threads discussing 991, 911 turbos, GTR, ZO6s, GT500 and GT,FRS isn't that Toyota, G37, C63 do I need to go on.

Let look at this statement so mad ([B]I'm willing to bet that you'll get embarrassed by Miatas at the track if you don't even understand that point) becareful you could blow gasket and this could happen You are positively, absolutely, 100% correct a great driver in MX5 would kick my ass on the track and yours as well that is unless your pro driver or experienced driving instructor I have seen many miata beat up on C63,M3,ISF,997,etc, so I actually agree with you on this one go figure.

This is good one (Forum racing is dumb, take your car out to the track and find out for yourself how capable the car is and more importantly, how capable you are.) That was not nice you hurt my feelings but this is amazing you are right Forum racing is dumb and that exactly what your doing making assumption about me based on what because I posted thread showing what different car brand was doing at the track. Say it is so just shoot me now

Well let me go before this begins I should have warn my Nomex racing suit damn it, let the flaming begin this going to hurt

Oh and by the way I have tracked my ISF at two tracks so far you may have heard of them Limerock and NJMP

Holy Crap are those Miata in front me what am I going to do
Attachment 693775

Miata's in front of me Miata's in back of me yea do I drive through valley of death I shall fear no Miata for I have 416hp and 387tq and will kill them in straights.lol
Attachment 693776

Thats me waiting for my turn on track, look the fear on my face
Attachment 693777

Damn it ! got caught in break ducts again I hate when that happens

Attachment 693778

Attachment 693779

Attachment 693780

Attachment 693781

Attachment 693782
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
+1. To clarify for OP, "M3 vs" is for M3's versus other cars. And no, a stock miata would not pass av8tor seeing as how he has done ~2:15 at VIR. I think the "fanboys" are the guys driving automatics with fake quad pipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

sounds more like a tire comparison if you ask me...
Appreciate 0