BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #111
Firthy247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M & 996 x50 turbo

Post the link please.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #112
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I love how a car that is relatively near the end of its life cycle is still so competitive.
What disappoints me the most is the RS5. It is such a beautiful car that I really wanted Audi to get it right. That would be a car I would have liked to own but it seems to be universally disliked (well, the least favourite) in its class. Too bad.
My thoughts too. Love the quality of the RS5 and I prefer its looks. But from the truly excellent RS4 -> RS5 somehow the engineers must have lost the secret sauce. I don't blame my mates who own the RS4 for hanging on to them and maybe Audi will return to the finesse of that model in the next iteration.

Another thought: recall how the initial reviews of the E9x M3 were not so favorable, discussing weight and less-than-ideal steering feel (the V8 was typically acclaimed). It seems to me that this M3 has grown in stature over time - great job.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #113
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Good luck bringing a BMW by APR. They are very biased toward VAG and may eject you from the property.
      09-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #114
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Too late. I already called codriver! Have you talked to Eric Wonger? He will know all the details.
      09-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #115
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I don't know why automotive journalists continue to waste their time trying to compare other cars against the M3 (or really any 3-series for that matter).

The M3 is arguably the best car ever built, and these yahoos wanted to test it against a Mustang????
Jeez the faboy'ism is insane from some of you. Your saying it's prohibited to make comparisons to an m3 because no other car is worthy? Jeez. Well that Mustang you so condescendingly speak of is faster than your m3. No questions about it, it is a faster car. Is that car less of a compromise than an m3? Absolutely, it is much more focused, but for many that is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #116
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel223 View Post
Mustang with solid real axle? we are about to roll in 2012 ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Deere called
They want their solid rear axle back
      09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #117
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Franklin, it looks like you are the TT pioneer.
      09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #118
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
I love reading articles like this. Just makes my decision to jump on the M3 that much more satisfying. At the end of the day, it's not all about numbers. M3 has less HP than the rest, but still flies. I think so much of the goodness the M3 has to offer eludes me because I'm just an average driver. I don't track or do crazy stuff on the road. I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the Benz or the Audi. However, I feel like I got a winner.

Someone on the forum told me to be careful. Saying there's a lot of power at my disposal. The other day, I found out what he meant. I was scared out of my mind. What a car!
Much like you I don't track my car(s) nor do I do crazy stuff on the road. However, once you drive it you will have the power at your disposal when you do need it. Case in point my former M3 (2002 e46) saved my life in 2004, I over took a truck and the driver being asleep swayed into my lane almost pushing me over the cliff. If I did not have the 303 HP at my disposal at the time I'll be a goner and so would have been the truck driver.

I put my foot to the floor and my hands on the horn, I got out off his way and he found himself napping and my horn woke him up. I know this since in my rearview mirror I saw him barley correcting himself on the road swaying from side to side.

Bottom line, I purchase the power for safety so the power is there when I need it You will know what I mean once you drive your own M3

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #119
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
love the M3....so much for the much hyped Boss 302. Also, the Mustang in that side rear shot next to M3 looks like a huge boat. The Mustang just looks plain ugly from side and rear profile. The front does not offend me and looks sort of OK.

Also, Pl0kij needs a brain check ....for thinking all those cars are gay.
Right on, my neighbour drives a Mustang, whenever I come home my M3 whispers "Please put me into the garage, I hate to look at his ugly ass"

Naturally I put my M into the garage since it is after-all my best friend

Who says we M3 drivers have no friends

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #120
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's why I decided to keep my M3 . I know there're cars with a lot more power, more electronic crap, or what have you, but I LOVE how the M3 drives with a STICK SHIFT, and that's what's all about to me. Yes, it's slower than a DCT, but it has all the power I'd ever need. And I also happen to like the 'all business' interior. It's a keeper folks .
Right on +1 no need to say more

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #121
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's why I decided to keep my M3 . I know there're cars with a lot more power, more electronic crap, or what have you, but I LOVE how the M3 drives with a STICK SHIFT, and that's what's all about to me. Yes, it's slower than a DCT, but it has all the power I'd ever need. And I also happen to like the 'all business' interior. It's a keeper folks .
This!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Right on +1 no need to say more
"When all is said and done there's nothing left to do or say"
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #122
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Jeez the faboy'ism is insane from some of you. Your saying it's prohibited to make comparisons to an m3 because no other car is worthy? Jeez. Well that Mustang you so condescendingly speak of is faster than your m3. No questions about it, it is a faster car. Is that car less of a compromise than an m3? Absolutely, it is much more focused, but for many that is a plus.
Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. It may be faster in straight line acceleration but take it onto a track and the M3 will leave it Found On Road Dead.
      09-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #123
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. It may be faster in straight line acceleration but take it onto a track and the M3 will leave it Found On Road Dead.
Maybe on some tracks but not all.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #124
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to start this war but it just isn't. I have seen it time and time again, first hand with my own eyes. People should be fans of cars, not brands. The new Mustangs are awesome cars and even if it's not your cup of tea you still need appreciate that. I have no issue saying it, that car will whoop my little beemer.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #125
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not going to start this war but it just isn't. I have seen it time and time again, first hand with my own eyes. People should be fans of cars, not brands. The new Mustangs are awesome cars and even if it's not your cup of tea you still need appreciate that. I have no issue saying it, that car will whoop my little beemer.
Agreed. The new 5.0's are no joke.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #126
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
Audi vs Tank vs 18 wheeler carrying concrete slabs

Shiggy never fails to have me choking on my coffee from laughing so hard!
Cutting edge bro!!

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #127
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post

Another thought: recall how the initial reviews of the E9x M3 were not so favorable, discussing weight and less-than-ideal steering feel (the V8 was typically acclaimed). It seems to me that this M3 has grown in stature over time - great job.
I have a feeling it's going to be the same for the F10 M5. You can look at the spec sheet and say well hey, that's a heavy car. Sure, but is the car setup to counter some of that weight? With the M3 looks like it did. I'm not saying BMW (specifically the M3) is perfect but people don't still haven't realized despite what some may consider flaws, BMW knows how to balance everything out.

And why do people focus on how relatively slow M cars are in straight-line speed? M cars are designed for the ring, period and I think this has helped BMW remain focused to what they are, a car for the track; nothing more, nothing less. I'm not saying other manufacturers don't know what they're doing, I just think BMW does a better job at designing cars that target their audience.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #128
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Good point Voltigeur! It's always like that with the BMW's. The E46 life cycle experienced the same type of discontent turned reverence.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #129
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Quote:
It may whoop your little 135, but its not going to whoop an M3 and that's what we're talking about here. I'm not evaluating the merits of the Mustang in and of itself, I'm saying that overall it is an INFERIOR to an M3 in virtually every significant automotive metric, period.

Just like Ford is INFERIOR to BMW in virtually every corporate metric. That's not being a fan that's stating facts!
      09-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #130
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
It may whoop your little 135, but its not going to whoop an M3 and that's what we're talking about here. I'm not evaluating the merits of the Mustang in and of itself, I'm saying that overall it is an INFERIOR to an M3 in virtually every significant automotive metric, period.

Just like Ford is INFERIOR to BMW in virtually every corporate metric. That's not being a fan that's stating facts!
Ford has come a long way and the Mustang 5.0 gives the M3 a run for it's money. Pretty much matches the M3 around Leguna Seca. The Boss 302 obliterates the M3 in a straight line. The thing about the M3, I think, is the fact that it's balanced so well. ///M Cars were never about straight line speed anyway. Respect to all of the cars in the comiparo but the honestly the one I think comes close to being 'perfect' is the M3. The M3 is the jack of all trades but really doesn't master any of them, and that's why it can be a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The C63 has too much power to the rear wheels and the TC light just jumps on every chance it gets.

The RS5 steering(have't driven one but from what I've read) is light and unpredictable. No feedback. Yet, it's it's also praised as Audi's best car, AFTER the R8.

The Boss 302 is a great looking car and amazing performance for the buck.(opinion, of course) but it still doesn't have the feel of the M3. This is a sure sign that Ford is now nipping at the heels of BMW because that Boss 302 will smoke an M3 around a couple different tracks. Nobody seems to have figured out the formula BMW has, just yet though.

I don't think this will last very long though. With the recent moves BMW has been making towards efficiency, they're forgetting what they stood for. Hoping the next generation M3 keeps with the tradition of at least handling like an M3 should.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #131
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I think the next M3 has nothing to fear. The F10 M5 does 7:55 on the Ring. Every generation of M3 best the M5 at the time, so we can safely assume the next M3 will lap the Ring around 7:4x. At that level, it does not have much to fear even from the upcoming 991s. I am truly excited about it and can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #132
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

My 135 will hand a stock m3 it's lunch. I'm sorry, your just coming off as ignorant. The boss 302 is faster than an m3 in every single measurable performance category, it also loses in every single measurable category besides speed. Seriously, go pick a fight with a boss on a track and see what happens. It's ok, just try and broaden your appreciation for cars. Also, there is no shame in Ford saying they are less successful than BMW as a company. BMW is extremely extremely successful, but how about this. Subaru has the highest profit margin per year and was also one of two manufacturers that never had sales drop all through the recession, does that mean they make better cars than BMW? Hmmm
Appreciate 0