BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Pyrometer?

Looking to get a pyrometer - anyone have any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Yep, looking for a tire pyrometer. Thanks for the info. Longacre's site seems to be down (cannot display this webpage message) but googling led me to a bunch of sites that helped.

True to form, I like the features on the most expensive one @ $350 for the "deluxe" model by Longacre. I like that it shows the three temps for each tire, averages the tire temps, stores the past 10 readings. The night display I could do without. I know the less expensive versions (at half the cost) do basically the same thing but that involves carrying around a notepad to record those things. Think it's worth it?

Hmm... I may have answered my own question. *Yes*
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The pyrometer (probe type) I use doesn't have memory, I've used one though and the memory feature actually helps quite a bit with quicker stops during testing, especially if you only have one helper, or worse, are doing it yourself. Nobody waiting for someone to write the numbers down, just read, push a button to store, and move on to the next reading. Time is of the essence with pyro readings, the longer you're sitting there, the less accurate the measurement. That's why real-time 3-point IR readings on each wheel are the holy grail (and outlawed in a lot of classes).

So yes, worth it, buy now!
      04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
True to form, I like the features on the most expensive one @ $350 for the "deluxe" model by Longacre. I like that it shows the three temps for each tire, averages the tire temps, stores the past 10 readings. The night display I could do without. I know the less expensive versions (at half the cost) do basically the same thing but that involves carrying around a notepad to record those things. Think it's worth it?

Hmm... I may have answered my own question. *Yes*
That's the one I use and it's been very good so far, and it takes a beating in my toolbox. I used the very nice aluminum case it comes in as an emergency wheel chock in a pinch, I can still hear the crunching sound of it being run over. The probe works quickly. It also has a built in 4 car lap timer, that I've never used.
      04-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I have the Longacre pyrometer that has the probe plug into the IR gun. It works very well. I almost always just use the probe. I just use the IR every so often to see what the brakes are heating up to.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Has anyone used the "download to PC/Printer" feature? I think it would be interesting / helpful to keep the data to refer to. Just don't know if the software is any good or if I'd find myself porting the data into Excel anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

This seems like the way to go, what I'm getting next time around. The temperature compensated pressure reading is a cool function.

http://www.longacreracing.com/instru...xt/50370PI.pdf
Appreciate 0