BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #221
themickd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Definitely not. I'm 34 and just got my first M3... it's an amazing car but way too much for a inexperienced, young (read: invincible) driver to handle, regardless of their overall maturity.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #222
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Sure if its this M3..

In reality, not only no but HELL no...why so he can wrap it around a tree and kill himself. I'm 47, I have 2 boys 10 and 7.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 10-20-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #223
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
I'm turning 18 tomorrow (everyone guns down, I don't want to get verbally killed by you guys) and yes I have an m3. The difference is that I worked my ass off working construction for my dad at $8 an hour whenever I got the chance since age 14 and saved all my cash so I could buy a nice car. After 3 years of hard work and saving I payed 12k (parents have me 45k for a car) and saved 8k for myself and I picked out the x6. That was lemoned and the dealership gave me a 335iS in replace. Once hearing that it had the same engine as the x6 and the trouble we had with the n54 engine, my dad immediately returned the car and wanted to go to Audi but I wanted to stay with BMW. It just happened that there was a new m3 that was at an extremely great price available and my dad allowed me to get it with a few rules with it. I had to pay up the 8k to get the m3, I went to multiple performance driving school classes, and I had to remain in the top 5% of my class (school is ranked top 10 in the country). OH and continue to work and pay for gas and such. So yea I do believe each individual circumstance deserves its own answer. I wouldn't give it to a kid who doesn't have any sense of responsibility. But I'd give it to the kid who has never caused trouble, is mature, knows the value of a dollar, and overall has the responsibility of staying safe while enjoying a dream. Just my two cents, please don't attack me.
Good for you!! However, your situation is FAR from the typical scenario for a young M3 (or alike) owner.
      10-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #224
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
All future responses to this thread should require your age in the first line.

I am 43. Soon to be 44.

As stated by many others, I realize now that I was an idiot when I was a teen. I was a moron in my 20s and a bit foolish in my 30s. I imagine when I am 50 that I will quickly realize that my 40s were not all that enlightened either and it will continue on until I take that long dirt nap. The whole "with age comes wisdom" thing just never seems to come to an end.
Well, it will come to an end sometime.

But then you will be dead.

BTW......45 here.
      10-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #225
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post

Truly this thread is comedy gold. Being 18 and already having not one, but three high-priced performance cars all for $20k (not even the cost of half of one). God forbid you save for college or something ...
I do believe that the original question was regarding the maturity of the driver, not about affording the vehicle. Yes i know i am extremely blessed to be in the situation i am in, but do not redicule me and try to put me in the same boat as those who you are critizing. How many "spoiled rich kids" do you know spend their weekends and after school working construction at almost minimum wage since the age of 14. I chose to work hard for something i wanted more than a social life. $20k is a substantial amount of money for a high school kid to make and save up, even with the requirements of the school i attend. My family is blessed enough to easily have the capability of buying the m3 for me without me doing anything, but then i would be exactly what you criticize. The work i did for my father was more than just to make money, it was to show him my maturity and sacrifice. If you want to further debate on the subject then send me a PM, but please don't try to put me down when i give my opinion.

EDIT: THANKYOU! for the birthday wishes (:

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/

Last edited by bates1325; 10-19-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #226
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I could care less about the money.

As an 18 year old your brain is still defective. No matter how hard you try the part of your brain that processes rational thoughts is still under developed. You are fully capable of being a total bone head without any thought to the potential consequences. One day when you look back at this moment you will know exactly what I am talking about. Things you think are safe and sane now will look really stupid in another 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #227
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #228
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post

Truly this thread is comedy gold. Being 18 and already having not one, but three high-priced performance cars all for $20k (not even the cost of half of one). God forbid you save for college or something ...
Oh yes times are changing ... when I was 18 I had a bicycle ... my first car was an old clunker 1953 Oldsmobile at age 23 ... I remember it sucking oil as if it was going out of style ... my first trip to NYC I told the gas station attendant

"Check the Gas and fill up the Oil"

On my return trip back home I stopped in a gas station ... the car stalled in the middle of summer I needed a boost. The attendant at that time told me after giving me a boost and asking me how far I am going "whatever you do don't stop or you never ever get her started again"

He was right ... The Custom Officer at the Complain border made me shut off the car ... it was the last time I drove the big old Olds ... it got towed then scrapped ...

Oh those where the days ... good memories

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #229
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Absolutely not.

If you want to get your kid a BMW as a first car, do what I am planning on doing.

Get them a beater E30 3 series and do it up with them. I'd say go with the 318is or 325i. Not too much power, but a car that handles well and can teach them to appreciate fine automobiles.

Everyone has to start small. Its important to appreciate and understand handling before applying power.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #230
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
How many "spoiled rich kids" do you know spend their weekends and after school working construction at almost minimum wage since the age of 14. I chose to work hard for something i wanted more than a social life. $20k is a substantial amount of money for a high school kid to make and save up, even with the requirements of the school i attend.
I'm not here to hate on the kids with M3's, but here's a question for you. How many of your dad's employees who work for 8 dollars an hour can save for 3 years and buy an M3? My guess? None. Hell, I bet they can't afford an M3 with 3x that wage. They probably can barely afford taking care of their family. So while you have no doubt worked hard, don't forget your parents pay for your food, cost of living, the roof over your head 2/3's of the car and probably your insurance and gas. Until you are out there working on your own and making a living for yourself and your family, you DO NOT know the value of a dollar. And you know what? I'm not trying to be harsh. That's just life. All you can do is be thankful that you are in the situation you are in. You didn't earn it, you chipped in a bit and are lucky to have parents that made it happen for you. And happy birthday.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #231
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Do what my dad did.
If she truly is into driving a performance vehicle, buy her driving lessons on a track/performance school or with a performance instructor and teach her how to handle the car before giving it to her.
If you can trust her, then go for it. Make her happy!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #232
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

I'm not here to hate on the kids with M3's, but here's a question for you. How many of your dad's employees who work for 8 dollars an hour can save for 3 years and buy an M3? My guess? None. Hell, I bet they can't afford an M3 with 3x that wage. They probably can barely afford taking care of their family. So while you have no doubt worked hard, don't forget your parents pay for your food, cost of living, the roof over your head 2/3's of the car and probably your insurance and gas. Until you are out there working on your own and making a living for yourself and your family, you DO NOT know the value of a dollar. And you know what? I'm not trying to be harsh. That's just life. All you can do is be thankful that you are in the situation you are in. You didn't earn it, you chipped in a bit and are lucky to have parents that made it happen for you. And happy birthday.
Once again, we are talking about the maturity of the driver of the car, not we afford it. I never argued that 3 years working like I did = buying an m3. I'm arguing that don't just turn down the idea of giving your son or daughter an object such as an m3 based on a general idea. He asked if an 18 year old is mature enough to own such a vehicle. Each individual situation reserves its own fair judgement. 3 years of working for my dad was to show my dad I am mature enough to own this GIFT he wanted to do for me. I never stated that I earned the car, I stated that I earned the maturity in my father's mind to be given such a gift. Yes I know most of everyone on the forum are adults who work to support your family first then an M3 and I tip my hat to you guys because that's real life. Yes I'm extremely fortunate and I do realize that. I think you guys are taking what I'm saying the wrong way. And thanks for the birthday wishes!

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #233
dbhg1124
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xdrive coupe

simple..american society is about progression that is the reason why millions of individuals immigrate here every year. Therefore, if you can afford to give it to your daughter and she is responsible/you trust her then go right ahead. Do not let any morons on here i.e 16 year olds who do not drive yet and disgruntled 46 year olds who wish they were your daughter influence your decision. Only thing I could say is wish I was your son ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #234
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhg1124 View Post
simple..american society is about progression that is the reason why millions of individuals immigrate here every year. Therefore, if you can afford to give it to your daughter and she is responsible/you trust her then go right ahead. Do not let any morons on here i.e 16 year olds who do not drive yet and disgruntled 46 year olds who wish they were your daughter influence your decision. Only thing I could say is wish I was your son ha.
Don't tell me you still live at home, not married and no kids. If I am correct then your answer will change when you have the latter. Also, you may be a mature 18 yr. old but do you have the experience needed to safely pilot a Prius let alone a 400+hp M3.

Now obviously you have a different opinion, which is fine. Its just I can assure you that a vast majority of us parents that are on this board feel the opposite. It has nothing to do with age, if I was a 35 yr. old parent right now I still wouldn't be an enabler (which is what parents are if they are paying for the car and the peripheals) for my son or daughter to get a 400+hp car for one of their first cars.

Now if they are 18 and pay for the car completely and live alone not on the teet, then thats a different story. They are legal adults at that point and if the they have the financial wherewithal to get the car than what can you do at this point. Other than advise against it...

To the OP: Happy Bday..just giving you the same advise I would give my son one day when he is your age. My boys are just 10 and 7..thank the Lord that driving is a few years off.
Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 10-20-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #235
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
More like 10s of thousands.
      10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #236
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
do you have the experience needed to safely pilot a Prius
No one has. It is so dreary, you want to kill yourself, hence become an un-safe driver without noticing.
      10-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #237
Rasya
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M; 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2005 BMW e60 M5  [0.00]
An example out of first hand:

I'm 24 now, learned how to drive at 7 yo, raced in karting for 2 years, was permitted to drift across parking lots when my father's cars tires were almost gone,...

When I was 17 (we get to drive here at 18), my father was in great doubt too. He drove an e39 M5 at that time, which we both adored. His plan was to let me drive it during the weekends first, saying we were waiting for my own first car, but in fact testing me if I was capable to really own it.
I screwed up big time. Drifting at roundabouts, cross-junctions, parking lots,...
Tires had 5k km and were gone. The plan was offcourse blown of and we ordered an audi a3 diesel. I think that was probably the righ choice, although I really regret losing the e39.
I was permitted to drive his e60 during the weekends though, wich was fun offcourse :-)

We made a deal that after acomplishing some things (mainly getting my medicine degree and putting some money aside) I would get a sports car. It became a 1M. Truly amazing car by the way!

What I'm trying to say is this. I was at the other side, and looking back I now realize that things have been scary enough without an M-car...
It destroys your build-up proces to. What's she going to buy to improve...?
Also, her friends will think she's spoiled.

Buy her a Golf... Or maybe a pickup, don't know how things go over there :-)
And maybe keep the m3 aside as a trackday car or so :-p
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #238
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Please define "progression". Progression is not only the aquisition of increasing amounts of material wealth from generation to generation. Yes, to a point more is better....but only to a point. After that, "more" can become detrimental.

I keep coming back to the same point of MODERATION. Sure, if you are affluent, your kid doesn't have to drive a beater, but is it in their best interest to own such a high powered premium level vehicle at such a young age? Aside from the undeniable biology of Adolescent brain development and impulse control, there is the simple concept of teaching your children the value of money and hard work. It will serve them well in life when parents are no longer there or able to take care of them. Personally, I don't want to be supporting my kids when they are in their late 20's, but in order to insure that this doesn't happen, and also insure that they are reasonably happy, I have to teach them to fend for themselves. My older daughter just started high school this year. At the end of the year, her school is sponsoring a trip to Italy. I am going to ask her to make a choice between that trip and a summer camp that she loves and goes to every year. Not because I can't afford both, but because I want her to learn to have to make choices, and learn discipline in spending.
      10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #239
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
This thread is an interesting followup to an argument I just had with my wife over lunch.

Our 14 year-old will be able to get his permit about a year from now. Of course there's talk about what car he'll be getting. Now, there's been no talk about what job he'll get or what will be paid for by whom, but I digress (I'm technically only a step-parent, so my influence and authority are limited).

My wife currently drives a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport that's her baby. She's had her eye on a Raptor for some time (yes, she's that kind of woman). The plan for the past year or so has been to give our teenager the Tacoma and for her to get the Raptor. Now, the truck is pretty nice and new for a teenager in my opinion, but it's safe, reliable, well-maintained, and quite functional for what a teenager will do with transportation (to/from school, to/from work, out with friends, and so on).

Her mother (who bought her the truck) is quite well off, and given her personality, she'll be very prone to just buying him a brand-new car (think BMW or Mercedes). Even without the grandmother interference issues, I say no friggin' way.

Call me old school, but a teenagers first car should be safe, reliable, roomy, cheap to operate, cheap to maintain, functional, and decent but nothing fancy. Teenagers are prone to pushing the limits. They have limited income. They also need to continue developing their senses of responsibility, ownership, and aspiring to something better.

My wife said I was just jealous because he could have a brand new car just as nice as my car while my first car was a "nothing" car. My first car was, to me, freedom. To that end, it didn't matter what it was.

I dunno. Something like a Fit, Civic, Sentra, Camry..yeah...but something really nice?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #240
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMpwrd View Post
This thread is an interesting followup to an argument I just had with my wife over lunch.

Our 14 year-old will be able to get his permit about a year from now. Of course there's talk about what car he'll be getting. Now, there's been no talk about what job he'll get or what will be paid for by whom, but I digress (I'm technically only a step-parent, so my influence and authority are limited).

My wife currently drives a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport that's her baby. She's had her eye on a Raptor for some time (yes, she's that kind of woman). The plan for the past year or so has been to give our teenager the Tacoma and for her to get the Raptor. Now, the truck is pretty nice and new for a teenager in my opinion, but it's safe, reliable, well-maintained, and quite functional for what a teenager will do with transportation (to/from school, to/from work, out with friends, and so on).

Her mother (who bought her the truck) is quite well off, and given her personality, she'll be very prone to just buying him a brand-new car (think BMW or Mercedes). Even without the grandmother interference issues, I say no friggin' way.

Call me old school, but a teenagers first car should be safe, reliable, roomy, cheap to operate, cheap to maintain, functional, and decent but nothing fancy. Teenagers are prone to pushing the limits. They have limited income. They also need to continue developing their senses of responsibility, ownership, and aspiring to something better.

My wife said I was just jealous because he could have a brand new car just as nice as my car while my first car was a "nothing" car. My first car was, to me, freedom. To that end, it didn't matter what it was.

I dunno. Something like a Fit, Civic, Sentra, Camry..yeah...but something really nice?
I think the Tacoma would be a great first car...safe, reliable and it sounds like its already paid for...a winner in my book.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #241
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Please define "progression". Progression is not only the aquisition of increasing amounts of material wealth from generation to generation. Yes, to a point more is better....but only to a point. After that, "more" can become detrimental.

I keep coming back to the same point of MODERATION. Sure, if you are affluent, your kid doesn't have to drive a beater, but is it in their best interest to own such a high powered premium level vehicle at such a young age? Aside from the undeniable biology of Adolescent brain development and impulse control, there is the simple concept of teaching your children the value of money and hard work. It will serve them well in life when parents are no longer there or able to take care of them. Personally, I don't want to be supporting my kids when they are in their late 20's, but in order to insure that this doesn't happen, and also insure that they are reasonably happy, I have to teach them to fend for themselves. My older daughter just started high school this year. At the end of the year, her school is sponsoring a trip to Italy. I am going to ask her to make a choice between that trip and a summer camp that she loves and goes to every year. Not because I can't afford both, but because I want her to learn to have to make choices, and learn discipline in spending.
Here, Here..well said.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #242
dbhg1124
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xdrive coupe

buddy it is anywhere between 1.2 and 1.8 million per year and that does not include illegal immigrants. Next time you try and correct someone make sure you are right, thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
More like 10s of thousands.
Appreciate 0