BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

05-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
KillMePlawks
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6 Spd ZCP

2012 E92 M3 6 Speed Transmission Worries

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2012 E92 M3 with about 41k miles on it. When I bought the car about 2 months ago, it had the original warranty that's good for 9 months or 9,000 miles. It currently has about 41.5k now.

Little background info: To be honest, this is the first manual car that I've owned but I have driven manual cars for a while now. It's pretty well known that the e9x gearbox is pretty notchy from 1-2 and that it takes some finessing to get it right. I can usually get a smooth shift from 1-2, but i noticed that its only when the rpms are less than 2.5k. Anything above that it won't go into gear smoothly and makes a mechanical noise. I never force it into gear with 1-2, I sort of let it drop into gear instead of jamming it in. About two days ago, I noticed that 5-6 seems to be a little bit off also. When cruising at about 3.5k rpm and shifting to 6th, it feels as if theres a little gate that sort of blocks my shift; but only for a quick millisecond before it falls in smoothly.

I've read around the forums and people as usual have different experiences with their gearboxes. Most people say that the 1-2 notch is normal and some say their e9x shifts smooth as butter. I've also read stories where people take their M3's for servicing and BMW replaces their transmission. Since my car is still under warranty, do you guys think I should get it checked out in hopes that BMW will replace the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Sloth!
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3 6MT

I definitely feel the notch you are referring to when shifting from 1-2. Totally normal. I have never experienced any sort of "blockage" from 5-6, and I dont have the mechanical knowledge to guess as to what might be causing it.

In my opinion, going straight to transmission replacement is a bit extreme from the description of what youve got going on. Id recommend starting small (transmission fluid change, for example) and see if that takes care of your problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
KillMePlawks
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6 Spd ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth! View Post
I definitely feel the notch you are referring to when shifting from 1-2. Totally normal. I have never experienced any sort of "blockage" from 5-6, and I dont have the mechanical knowledge to guess as to what might be causing it.

In my opinion, going straight to transmission replacement is a bit extreme from the description of what youve got going on. Id recommend starting small (transmission fluid change, for example) and see if that takes care of your problem.
Yeah, I know it sounds a bit extreme haha, I guess I'm just being overly concerned . It's not so much that I think there's something extremely wrong with the transmission, it's just that if other people had the same issues as I and had their transmissions replaced by BMW and now have perfect shifting experiences, I thought why not . Still, it just feels wrong that I have to granny shift from 1-2 at less than 2.5k rpms each time. Little quirks that came with the car that just bug me
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I guess why not take it to the stealership and see if they'll replace xD it's under warranty and free right? Free new part is always good! (but might or might not hurt resale value or resale interest since an original part was replaced [though replaced by BMW, and using all original BMW parts]).

The BMW manual transmissions has always been a little bit clunky (besides the brand new ones on the F22 and F3x/F8x series. BMW really did make that tranny shifting feel much better than any predecessors.) No need to worry too much, it ain't gonna blow (hopefully). As previous poster suggested, maybe do a tranny flush and new fluid (use quality fuild such as Motul, Redline etc. or OEM if you're completely OEM guy). But since you're under warranty, best to use OEM. Good luck!!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Ok, original owner here.

"To be honest, this is the first manual car that I've owned"

Mistake. The M3 manual is one of the hardest manual box to learn even for people with previous experience. For someone still learning to shift, you jumped into something you cannot master yet. Let's be clear, any learner will abuse the box, there is no way around that. And you will add significant synchro wear in the next 10K-20K while you are still learning what's correct / incorrect technique.
I think you should have graduated with a non performance car manual box before getting in this.

For the 6MT to feel buttery smooth you need to have mastered downshift rev matching, perfect right hand fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder technique. Then start to heel and toe shifting. It will take you 2 years to learn that.

Even in factory perfectly used form the 6MT will still have that 1-2 notch. All other gears no problem.

"but i noticed that its only when the rpms are less than 2.5k."

ideal rev matching rpm changes with car speed and gear. You have a lot to learn.

There is so many ways to do this wrong between your left foot, right foot, right hand, upshift, downshift and knowledge of the engine.

Hopefully the previous owner was not a semi beginner like you or there indeed might be synchro wear.
good luck !

Last edited by nthretourNAFTW; 05-31-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

I had mine replaced years ago when it was grinding going from 1-> 2 after 5k rpm. I complained to then tech every time I would bring it in for maintenance was recorded in the service records. Finally I complained one more time and the foreman came out and drove the car. When we came back he told my SA to swap the tranny due to hard shifting and grinding. Tranny has been a gem since then. Honestly I attribute it to the oem crappy fluid they put in there. I took the oil out ASAP after they swapped tranny and put redline. Change it every 15k miles and ur good. Plus the tranny will start to feel hard to engage when the oil is due for a change.
      05-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
Ok, original owner here.

"To be honest, this is the first manual car that I've owned"

Mistake. The M3 manual is one of the hardest manual box to learn even for people with previous experience. For someone still learning to shift, you jumped into something you cannot master yet. Let's be clear, any learner will abuse the box, there is no way around that. And you will add significant synchro wear in the next 10K-20K while you are still learning what's correct / incorrect technique.
I think you should have graduated with a non performance car manual box before getting in this.

For the 6MT to feel buttery smooth you need to have mastered downshift rev matching, perfect right hand fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder technique. Then start to heel and toe shifting. It will take you 2 years to learn that.

Even in factory perfectly used form the 6MT will still have that 1-2 notch. All other gears no problem.

"but i noticed that its only when the rpms are less than 2.5k."

ideal rev matching rpm changes with car speed and gear. You have a lot to learn.

There is so many ways to do this wrong between your left foot, right foot, right hand, upshift, downshift and knowledge of the engine.

Hopefully the previous owner was not a semi beginner like you or there indeed might be synchro wear.
good luck !
To be honest this gearbox is behaving normally as it should. It's tight, notchy, crunchy and you name ... there is plenty. Even those who have mastered using 6MT, I've had it in the last two /// cars, some times, you think there is something wrong the 'box. No, it's perfectly normal.
There are time I can put the car into reverse. Then, you clutch out, and then clutch in, then then it fine. That's a BMW 6MT' box for you.
      05-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yea took a min to get use the the 1-2 high RPM shift, just got to take it easy on the shift slides into place no problem after a bit of practice even at 8k RPM.

First time I went WOT and uh "tried" to shift into 2nd it just ground syncros "horrid sound" and wouldnt go in untill dropped a few thousand RPM. Now shifts perfect, just takes a little to get use to. Its different than other manual trans thats for sure

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
you will love the manual soon as when you mastered it and do not worry too much I am just at 103000 mls with all original box still running strong.
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

motul motylgear 75w80 does take away a bit of the clunkiness
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
you will love the manual soon as when you mastered it and do not worry too much I am just at 103000 mls with all original box still running strong.
Not if you've driven other cars with proper manuals and correct gearsets lol. The M manual had no design choices made; it was already on the shelf (the 335i transmission) and so they just used it out of the blue. The rpm drop off from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is incredibly bad.
      06-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Not once you get use to it, go to 3:30 in this exhaust video I made where im going WOT though 3rd. "not best sound in vid was trying new mic"

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
nice video
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thanks sir!

Appreciate 0