BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #23
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I have a 2008. I opted *not* to extend the warranty. Am I worried about resale value? Since I don't plan on selling it, I don't give it a second thought. Do I think about the rod bearings? Yes. Am I overly concerned about them? No. Instead I raised the redline to 8600rpms (which I hit last night, btw, in 3rd no less), and enjoy the sound of the exhaust every.single.time I turn the car on.

Does it sucks there's a potential issue? Sure. But am I going to run away instead of just dropping a couple grand to resolve the issue? Not on your life. And no, just like a lot of guys, money doesn't grow on trees for me, so it isn't something that I take lightly. But I've accepted the fact that for now, nothing I've driven in my price range brings a smile to my face like this car does. So it stays.
couldn't have said it any better!!
      05-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I figure my 08 is at 65k miles and if it hasn't happened by now, chances are really slim that it will give out.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008E90TT View Post
I've been following the rod bearing failure threads for a while and was even aware of it prior to buying my first E90 M3. I've browsed forums for nearly every automobile I've owned and I'm aware of the hysteria that often surrounds fairly rare issues that most will never experience. So, I chalked it up to unfounded panic, focused on the otherwise impressive reliability of the M3, and enjoyed driving the car like it was meant to be driven.

Since I change vehicles often, I typically go for models that are 5-6 years old when the depreciation curve has become less steep. My E90 M3 was a 2008. After a year of ownership, I was tempted to try something different, but the M3 was really difficult to upgrade from without increasing my budget drastically. I found a near-flawless E92 M3 and ended up trading the E90 for it.

I began following the forums again and noticed how many well-documented threads were now posted regarding the bearing issues. The evidence seemed to exist that there was actually an issue. I even stumbled across threads on non-enthusiast sites that seemed to match the symptoms here.

I ordered an oil analysis kit for peace-of-mind, but prior to taking it, I found the thread by the owner who experienced an engine failure not long after receiving a clean oil report. Expensive repairs are expected on a European car out of warranty, but I was shocked after researching the worst-case scenario of an engine failure requiring block replacement. Even with a used engine installed by an independent shop, $15,000-$20,000 is likely not counting the additional depreciation from having an engine swapped.

After researching the questionable solutions currently available, the number of cars torn down for other reasons that were showing excessive wear, and the financial risk of ignoring the issue, it was difficult to drive the car without worry. I can't attribute my decision entirely to this fear since I've been debating over the necessity of a weekend car that's rarely driven, but it definitely pushed me over the edge much sooner than I expected. I know I'll miss the car since it was the most well-rounded vehicle that I've owned.

I just wanted to get the opinions of others in a similar situation. Do you plan on changing out bearings? Do you think it's blown entirely out of proportion? Are you considering selling? Are you counting on a goodwill fix from the dealer?
I just picked up a used M3 with 24k miles a few weeks ago and was not aware how ubiquitous the rod bearing issue is. With that said, I am a bit nervous now with the car, but it has not affected my driving. so I am considering getting a 3rd party warranty for peace of mind and/or upgrading the bearings. Got quoted 3k for a warranty good for 5 year/100k miles which seems reasonable.
      05-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #26
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich150001 View Post
I just picked up a used M3 with 24k miles a few weeks ago and was not aware how ubiquitous the rod bearing issue is. With that said, I am a bit nervous now with the car, but it has not affected my driving. so I am considering getting a 3rd party warranty for peace of mind and/or upgrading the bearings. Got quoted 3k for a warranty good for 5 year/100k miles which seems reasonable.
And you can swap out the RB's for around 2K and save the 1K for mods.
Reading another forum members thread, a 3rd party warranty may not provide total peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #27
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
I just lost an engine to the rod bearing problem, but I am not letting that stop me from driving the next engine into the ground... I will be replacing the rod bearings every 50k miles, but I intend on keeping the car forever...

New engine is getting put in as we speak!! Can't wait to molest it!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #28
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

It's like having a hot girlfriend and never touching her for fear she will get old and die someday. Touch her, touch her a lot, treat her well, and deal with it if/when that time comes. Life is short.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #29
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just going to change out the bearings every 50k or so, maybe rebuild and upgrade engine around 150k. Very aware of the problem but id rather address it and keep the sexy beast, everytime I go into a store I still look back over my shoulder and look at her ass.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #30
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3 View Post
There is always something with every vehicle. This just from my personal experience that I somewhat lost sleep over:

2001 Suzuki Bandit - Ring Land issues with Excessive Oils Consumption
2005 FJR 1300 $500 Saddle Bag premature evacuation during riding
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 HP Fuel Pump failure causing Zoom-Zoom-Boom
2011 Subaru WRX STI RIng Land Issues as well
2011 e90 M3 Rod Bearings OMG

If I were to freak about about everything I'd be toted around in a Rickshaw or on Horseback. Even then there would be some issue. Horse is a drunk or Rickshaw Operator is lame....strike that..reverse it.

It is what it is, roll the dice, pray, suckitup, drive the goddman thing.
What are you trying to say here - LOL!!!???
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #31
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

ill run it to the ground. my platinum coverage takes care of everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Does platinum last the lifetime of the car? Or will you run your car into the ground in just a few years? My car will likely be 20 years old before I have run it into the ground. My 99M3 is still with me at 118k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #33
Dave07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

This is one reason why I hate the forums . How many people have had their engines go due to rod bearings ? Now how many m3s were made ? Do the math . Chances are your fine . Guy has his engine go , immediately goes online sees if he can find anything . Same thing with the subframe issues with the e46 m3 s . All issues are blown out of proportion . However issues like rear springs breaking in the e46 m3s is hardly a topic . Which I had happen to both of my m3s . There are so many people on here so worried bout there bearings it's crazy . It's under 3 k to get these done anyways . Helps you feel better bout ur car do it . ..... Unless your throwing a blower on your car or track your car often I would nv rec u sell ur car cuz if the " rod bearing issues " lol , Whatever you read online is true btw . i mean it's online
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #34
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I think it's blown out of proportion, but I have the EVP warranty should anything go catastrophically wrong.

I plan to drive the car, enjoy it, and give zero fucks about the bearings. If it happens, it happens.
      08-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #35
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You should get a Porsche 996
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #36
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
You should get a Porsche 996
inb4 IMS
      08-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #37
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How about a vette?

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #38
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07 View Post
This is one reason why I hate the forums . How many people have had their engines go due to rod bearings ? Now how many m3s were made ? Do the math . Chances are your fine .
At the same time, though, does it really matter what someone else does? I owned (bought new) the second MY of the previous gen mustang with the coyote+MT82 getrag transmission. There were a lot of downright nasty threads about the transmission and how it's inevitable that it's going to grenade on every owner. Seemed like for every person like myself who felt that the problems were isolated, 5 more people would claim to have transmission problems. In the 3.5 years and 40k miles I put on the car, I never had even a hint of a problem. Frankly, I think some people have a hard time separating hype from common sense. But does it really matter? And by matter, does it really impact your life?

I think if it makes someone sleep better to sell their car or replace the RBs as a form of preventive maintenance, I suppose they made the right choice. Life is WAY to short to allow the stress of a potential catastrophic car problem (no matter how remote the chances) impact their life in any meaningful way. I hope the OP is much happier with whatever he moved on to. I have sort of been on the other side of the argument, in that I had a car that I simply didn't trust. Every time I got into it, I would always wonder if this was the time when I would get stranded or another CEL would appear. I got rid of the car and moved on to something else. I had no regrets making that move.
Appreciate 0