BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #23
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
and what oil temperature did he recommend? I always think around 200 degrees the point where it's okay to start revving above 3k rpms. For me, it usually takes about 5 minutes of city driving after the rev counter rev limit removes the restriction
He said 180 minimum before getting on it. He explained to me if you put oil in a pan and it was evenly heated at 160 it would probably be ready but In an engine some areas could be unevenly heated up so at 180 all areas should be ready for higher rpm.
      04-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #24
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

A local BMW racing shop recommends at least 20 minutes of soft driving before hitting it hard. This goes along with the idea that the oil heats unevenly. You could get a false sense of security. This is from a shop where most of the cars they work on are truly track only. I thought that was interesting. He also said he wasn't aware of the rod bearing issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

^ Never hurts to warm up it really well. I usually wait atleast 2 miles or close to 200 deg.

Think about the test drives at the dealerships. I guarantee 75 % of time the car is not warmed up properly and people start beating on it. Or even worse the sales people getting their hands on them. Scary.
      04-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #26
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Sorry to see this, I know you got the car not too long ago. I'm glad you are not in denial like some people and changing the bearings. Too many cases for it to be an issue that only affects a small number of S65/85…it's not cheap to replace but much cheaper than replacing an engine!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
OP,

In regard to S65 Rod Bearings, Blackstone reports are absolutely worthless!

I have seen guys on here that have years worth of high lead reports with no bearing failure, and then I have seen guys, including my car, that have clean/average metal indicators that suffered bearing failures soon after...

If you are unsure about your bearings, just pay the $2-3000 for the bearing upgrade... It will at least give you a piece of mind knowing you can drive the car like it was meant to be driven...

Below is my BS report that was taken 1000 miles before the rod bearing on cylinder #6 seized in my engine... It was a great report all around!

1000 miles later I had to replace the engine ($20k job)... Trust me, I wish I could have foreseen it, and I would have gladly spent the money on bearing upgrades... There are few cars that have bearing upgrades done where the original bearings were in good shape... Almost all bearings pulled from these engines have shown significant premature wear...

BS reports are a waste of money if you are just concerned with bearing wear... If you want to spend money that will absolutely benefit you and your car, have a reputable shop upgrade the rod bearings with VAC's bearings...

Here is my report below... My engine grenaded 1000 miles after this was taken at 55k miles...

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93, E38, E53

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
OP,

I have seen guys on here that have years worth of high lead reports with no bearing failure, and then I have seen guys, including my car, that have clean/average metal indicators that suffered bearing failures soon after...

If you are unsure about your bearings, just pay the $2-3000 for the bearing upgrade... It will at least give you a piece of mind knowing you can drive the car like it was meant to be driven...

Below is my BS report that was taken 1000 miles before the rod bearing on cylinder #6 seized in my engine... It was a great report all around!

1000 miles later I had to replace the engine ($20k job)... Trust me, I wish I could have foreseen it, and I would have gladly spent the money on bearing upgrades... There are few cars that have bearing upgrades done where the original bearings were in good shape... Almost all bearings pulled from these engines have shown significant premature wear...

BS reports are a waste of money if you are just concerned with bearing wear... If you want to spend money that will absolutely benefit you and your car, have a reputable shop upgrade the rod bearings with VAC's bearings...

Here is my report below... My engine grenaded 1000 miles after this was taken at 55k miles...

Well, not sure if you saw my other thread. But I just finished changing them out with the VAC bearings.
Most all the old bearings (uppers) showed significant wear. Some were well into the copper.
Motor had just shy of 62k when I did the work.

Not sure why you had failure after a good report. But my report saved my motor. I had no intention of doing a bearing job as preventative maint.
After seeing the report, I changed my mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #29
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
OP,

I don't know how you can say this, when Lead was showing 12 ppm, and also above the universal average. So there was some indication. It's very unfortunate what happened, but you can't blame someone else for your situation. BS report is not the ultimate source to figure out, but an indication as to what the wear metal levels are. You make a call based on that, just like OP did.
      06-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #30
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I don't know how you can say this, when Lead was showing 12 ppm, and also above the universal average. So there was some indication. It's very unfortunate what happened, but you can't blame someone else for your situation. BS report is not the ultimate source to figure out, but an indication as to what the wear metal levels are. You make a call based on that, just like OP did.
My point is that it's a gamble for all of us, whether we spend the money on Blackstone reports or not... Take my car for example, 12 ppm is not that high considering the average is 9 ppm... My copper count was 2 ppm and the average is 3 ppm... I saw no reason to be alarmed by my report; in fact, I was pretty happy with the results... 1000 miles later I spun a bearing...

There is always going to be a lead count in every 2008-2010 model report because the bearings are coated in lead and they naturally distribute lead particles into the oil, but what can we really tell from the numbers?

I have analyzed so many blackstone reports over the last few months that my head is spinning... The one thing that stands out is there is no solid correlation with high lead count and bearing failure- plain and simple...

Many of these guys posting blackstone reports with high lead counts have been driving the piss out their cars for years with high lead counts with no issues...

The data just isn't there to support the benefit of a blackstone report... the report I got for my car gave me a false sense of security..

Bearing failure is going to continue to happen on cars with good reports and bad reports- with no discrimination...

The real solution is to just replace the bearings every 50k miles; that is if you make it to 50k...

Last edited by IIAp3x; 06-01-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #31
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrliterbikz View Post
Well, not sure if you saw my other thread. But I just finished changing them out with the VAC bearings.
Most all the old bearings (uppers) showed significant wear. Some were well into the copper.
Motor had just shy of 62k when I did the work.

Not sure why you had failure after a good report. But my report saved my motor. I had no intention of doing a bearing job as preventative maint.
After seeing the report, I changed my mind.
Comparatively, my report was excellent... Congrats on saving your motor! My expense after my warranty company paid most of the bill was $2000, which is close to what a bearing replacement service would cost- so I am not complaining...

I will be replacing the bearings on the new engine at 50k miles, and every 50k thereafter...

It seems to be the most effective solution to a piece of mind...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #32
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
My point is that it's a gamble for all of us, whether we spend the money on Blackstone reports or not... Take my car for example, 12 ppm is not that high considering the average is 9 ppm... My copper count was 2 ppm and the average is 3 ppm... I saw no reason to be alarmed by my report; in fact, I was pretty happy with the results... 1000 miles later I spun a bearing...

There is always going to be a lead count in every 2008-2010 model report because the bearings are coated in lead and they naturally distribute lead particles into the oil, but what can we really tell from the numbers?

I have analyzed so many blackstone reports over the last few months that my head is spinning... The one thing that stands out is there is no solid correlation with high lead count and bearing failure- plain and simple...

Many of these guys posting blackstone reports with high lead counts have been driving the piss out their cars for years with high lead counts with no issues...

The data just isn't there to support the benefit of a blackstone report... the report I got for my car gave me a false sense of security..

Bearing failure is going to continue to happen on cars with good reports and bad reports- with no discrimination...

The real solution is to just replace the bearings every 50k miles; that is if you make it to 50k...
out of curiosity how did you get the oil sample? i think the oil has to be fully warmed and the sample obtained from the middle of the stream to be accurate
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #33
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
out of curiosity how did you get the oil sample? i think the oil has to be fully warmed and the sample obtained from the middle of the stream to be accurate
20 minute drive, oil change, sample was taken mid stream of drain... I followed blackstone's instructions exactly...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #34
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
20 minute drive, oil change, sample was taken mid stream of drain... I followed blackstone's instructions exactly...
I am a firm believer that Blackstone report are just worthless. Thanks for confirming that
Appreciate 0