BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Very Weird and Unique Experience

Before ordering my m3, as most of us did, i contacted several dealers for a quote and ordered my car on 10/01/09 from BMW Passport. So today, (about half an hour ago) i received a call from BMW of Annapolis (a month after we last talked) and asked if i made my decision. After i told him that i made the order with Passport, he offered me to change my order and that he would beat the price by $1000 first, when i said no, he offered $1500. (btw he has no clue what i paid).

On another note, he also mentioned that if i cancel the order, legally, the dealer is obligated to refund the $1K deposit. Is this true? Because i had to cancel my first order due to family issues so can i get my first deposit back..?

To me this is very weird, on one side, the very nice sales rep that i bought the car from who was paitient with my M3 crazy questions, on the other side, the jerk who didnt give a crap until he realized that i ordered my car.
I chose my nice sales rep due to his kindness and i also believe that i got a pretty good deal.

I can refer my sales rep to anyone in DC area. Feel free to contact me...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

I don't think they "legally" have to refund your deposit. I would imagine that most dealers have different policies with regards to this.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
I don't believe you can get your deposit back. When you put down your deposit did you sign any papers? When i left my deposit, I signed a form saying it was non refundable.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
ocgasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

most deposits are refundable unless the ordered vehicle is very special like an individual color or a super stripped model
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Deposits are always refundable.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Only time dealer requested me non-refundable deposit was for an ordering a car that dealer will have hard time selling (E92 335i AW +CR combo- although it's super popular combo in the forum but not in the rest of the world). Other than that, all deposits were refundable.

Why don't you just talk to your sales person?
Tell him that you got the great offer from which dealership (just to let them know that you're not BSing) so unless he matches (which is the best deal since you don't have to cancel and piss off dealer too much then worrying about getting deposit back in timely manner etc.), you like to cancel your order.

I think you have a decent shot to get some money back or getting certain amount of money in accessories (like performance steering wheel etc).
Keep us updated.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
Depends what you signed! My deposit actually stated that if I back out of the deal to buy the car when it came in, I wouldnt receive my deposit back until the dealership had sold my car to someone else. Protects them from people who custom order a blue car with red leather and back out. I have seen that actually lol.

I would just tell passport what happened. I probably wouldnt ever show my face at BMW Passport again if I canceled my order with them twice.
      10-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Depends what you signed! My deposit actually stated that if I back out of the deal to buy the car when it came in, I wouldnt receive my deposit back until the dealership had sold my car to someone else. Protects them from people who custom order a blue car with red leather and back out. I have seen that actually lol.

I would just tell passport what happened. I probably wouldnt ever show my face at BMW Passport again if I canceled my order with them twice.
i recall the paper i signed but i cant find the yellow copy that i was supposed to keep. does anyone has it by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
True.
      10-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

BMW Annapolis used to be Tate BMW and from experience as well as word from others they were not, let's say, a dealer you would want to do business with a second time.

They are now owned by another entity and they seem to be better. They did make me a deal on a used M3 but I decided I could do better.
      10-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

When push comes to shove I don't believe a dealership can legally hold a deposit if you decide to not purchase the car. They can make you thing it is non refundable and hope that you either perform and buy the car or roll over and not perdue a refund.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
i recall the paper i signed but i cant find the yellow copy that i was supposed to keep. does anyone has it by any chance?
Fail!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When push comes to shove I don't believe a dealership can legally hold a deposit if you decide to not purchase the car. They can make you thing it is non refundable and hope that you either perform and buy the car or roll over and not perdue a refund.
I talked to the dealer and he said he would apply that as a credit to my current order just saved my $1000...

I think the fact that the car that i ordered first was sold and that i am ordering again from the same place helped and avoided discussion...

Thanks to all.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
BMW Annapolis used to be Tate BMW and from experience as well as word from others they were not, let's say, a dealer you would want to do business with a second time.

They are now owned by another entity and they seem to be better. They did make me a deal on a used M3 but I decided I could do better.
If you are still looking for one i would suggest Passport. let me know if you want me to hook you up with my sales rep.
Appreciate 0