BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

02-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Is the initial oil change required at 1,200 miles, or can it be stretched?

I'm trying to plan out a European Delivery travel route, and would like to drive about 1,700 miles over there. If I follow the regular break-in procedures for the extra 500 miles, would that be OK, or do I need to get the oil changed right at the 2000KM/1200MI point? I'd do the first service over there, but it sounds like that can be ridiculously expensive as BMW North America obviously won't foot that bill. I guess it's probably cheaper now, given the pounding the Euro's taken, if I need to get it done over there. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
I'm trying to plan out a European Delivery travel route, and would like to drive about 1,700 miles over there. If I follow the regular break-in procedures for the extra 500 miles, would that be OK, or do I need to get the oil changed right at the 2000KM/1200MI point? I'd do the first service over there, but it sounds like that can be ridiculously expensive as BMW North America obviously won't foot that bill. I guess it's probably cheaper now, given the pounding the Euro's taken, if I need to get it done over there. Any thoughts? Thanks.
You do not have to get it exactly at 1200 miles, though you do NOT want to let it lapse more than you are planning since not just your engine oil is serviced. Also, I would believe BMW would do the 1200 mile service no matter what country you are in...it's covered under warranty!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
Also, I would believe BMW would do the 1200 mile service no matter what country you are in...it's covered under warranty!
Thanks for the help. Can anyone confirm this? I thought they would only do the service if you were in the U.S., and it was about $1,000 out-of-pocket to get it done over there. I'd love to get the service done over there, so I could really open the car up on its home turf. I'd actually change my trip up so I could circle back to Germany and finish up on the Nurburgring. My new M3, ready to stretch its legs on the Nordschleife? Sounds good to me, although I'd probably drive like a girl both because I was in awe of where I was driving, and because I didn't want to hurt my new baby. Also, I'm not sure I could keep it under 137 on those straights.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Can anyone confirm this? I thought they would only do the service if you were in the U.S., and it was about $1,000 out-of-pocket to get it done over there. I'd love to get the service done over there, so I could really open the car up on its home turf. I'd actually change my trip up so I could circle back to Germany and finish up on the Nurburgring. My new M3, ready to stretch its legs on the Nordschleife? Sounds good to me, although I'd probably drive like a girl both because I was in awe of where I was driving, and because I didn't want to hurt my new baby. Also, I'm not sure I could keep it under 137 on those straights.
The break in service is NOT covered by the warranty here in Greece.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Not sure about ED on a US spec car, but all US spec vehicles delivered through military sales here in Germany are NOT covered for routine services and the overall warranty is shortened. All of this reverts back to US coverages once the car is shipped back to the US.

1200 miles service quotes have been over a faily wide range with the cheapest that I am aware of being about 350 Euro, and that was in France. For the dealers that are closer to US bases, they will typically accept the consumer bringing our own oil (cheaper on post with access vs the local economy) and we can apply a tax form to exclude the VAT.

We are still awaiting delivery on our E93, but perhaps some of the other diplomat /military folks can chime in, or even the local nationals with their experiences. I am also curious to nail down the the impending charge that I can anticipate once we get ours, and the quest for the ideal synthetic. available on post...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Can anyone confirm this? I thought they would only do the service if you were in the U.S., and it was about $1,000 out-of-pocket to get it done over there.
I can't confirm it firsthand but I have read various posts on the net by folks who have done ED and claimed that they were able to get their 1200 mile service visit reimbursed by BMW USA. Granted, this was before M cars were offered with discounts for ED, so probably there were very few M EDs. But, I would at least call them and see if they will work with you on this. Realistically, the warranty should apply no matter where the service is done. The semantics are different of course since instead of the dealership making the warranty claim to BMW on your behalf (and therefore not charging you at all) you will have to do it yourself instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You need to get this service done when it is due. From a technical standpoint, you might hear some people saying it's fine and all that, but one can't dispute the fact that it becomes a warranty liability if something goes wrong with you engine later on. I don't understand how you qualify an oil change as "ridiculously expensive" though, regardless of where you are in the world. I suppose it's run you $200-$300.
      02-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I don't understand how you qualify an oil change as "ridiculously expensive" though, regardless of where you are in the world. I suppose it's run you $200-$300.

I've read of guys paying $1,000. Is that not ridiculously expensive? Alternate to the service, could I ship myself some synthetic oil to one of the hotels on my stay, and then just change the oil myself? I could then let BMW do a full service when it gets back to the U.S., thus "wasting" that oil change, but at least protecting the car. If it's only $200 for a full service, I'll call that a nice dinner and be happy to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've read of guys paying $1,000. Is that not ridiculously expensive? Alternate to the service, could I ship myself some synthetic oil to one of the hotels on my stay, and then just change the oil myself? I could then let BMW do a full service when it gets back to the U.S., thus "wasting" that oil change, but at least protecting the car. If it's only $200 for a full service, I'll call that a nice dinner and be happy to pay for it.
Wow, $1000 for just an oil change? That's hard to believe. Yes, that would be unreasonable indeed. I guess European members should chip in here. I'd have to dig through my reciepts to see what else they might have done during this service, but I still can't see how it can be that much even if they change the transmission (6MT) and diff fluids. I guess what I am saying is that it would be to your advantage to document that the car went through the required break-in service at the required service interval for warranty purposes.
      02-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

The documentation makes sense. Good point. I remember hearing that number when the Euro was about $1.60, so at a minimum it should be about 20% cheaper, right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Wow, $1000 for just an oil change? That's hard to believe. Yes, that would be unreasonable indeed. I guess European members should chip in here. I'd have to dig through my reciepts to see what else they might have done during this service, but I still can't see how it can be that much even if they change the transmission (6MT) and diff fluids. I guess what I am saying is that it would be to your advantage to document that the car went through the required break-in service at the required service interval for warranty purposes.
I agree that it should be done on time for warranty purposes.

This service is not that cheap in Germany. Mine was ín the ballpark of € 600 what's about $ 770 at the moment. As you say they change engine oil and filter, diff fluids and (maybe) transmission oil.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

I have the same issue Seth as I think I'll hit the 2,000 kay mark somewhere in S France. This is something I'm going to want to clarify then we pick up the E92 at BMW Welt.

I'm not concerned about costs: more about losing 1/2 day as we've only got the car for 10 days over there ...

Edit: just found the BMW concessionaire in Aix-en-Provence, that will be handy

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I agree that it should be done on time for warranty purposes.

This service is not that cheap in Germany. Mine was ín the ballpark of € 600 what's about $ 770 at the moment. As you say they change engine oil and filter, diff fluids and (maybe) transmission oil.

Best regards, south
Man, that's steep (bordering theft for fluid change)! I suspect they are throwing in several hours of labor in there (it probably takes an experienced technician more like 45 minutes to do the whole thing). They probably claim they are "checking" and "tightening" things and charging you for it. I feel for you guys...
      02-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
-
I'm not concerned about costs: more about losing 1/2 day as we've only got the car for 10 days over there ...
FYI: I waited at the dealership during break-in service. I was out the door in about an hour and a half I think.
      02-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Same here, I waited at the dealership as it took them 1:30 to change engine oil & filter, DCT oil & diff fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I think you guys would be doing yourselves a great favor in getting your cars serviced while in Europe rather than trying to keep the mileage low or squeezing the trip in without the service by some other means.

Having done ED with a 335i, I can tell you it was much more fun once the car was broken in. With an M3 it would be even more of a tease not to be able to take the car to max RPM and top speed. I would plan ahead (far ahead) and schedule your 1200 mi service with a trustworthy dealership along your route. There's no reason why you could not have the car serviced while you were out sightseeing or doing other activities for the day. I honestly can't imagine doing ED and never being able to take full advantage of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
FYI: I waited at the dealership during break-in service. I was out the door in about an hour and a half I think.
Great - wife was already grumbling about the opportunity cost of the time. Will just take a good book and wait it out.

I don't have the necessary Française so I can see myself asking someone at Die Welt to write this down for me to take to the dealer in Aix as a note

The alternative is I drive like made for 3 days in Bayern and get it done near home.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Same here, I waited at the dealership as it took them 1:30 to change engine oil & filter, DCT oil & diff fluid.
Are you sure they changed your transmission oil? DCT transmissions are supposed to be sealed for life.
      02-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Great - wife already grumbling about the opportunity cost of the time. Will just take a good book and wait it out.
I suggest making a point of this with the dealership that will be performing the service though. Some assume they will have the car 1/2 day or more. I put some pressure on mine saying I didn't want to give up the car and deal with a loaner, etc.
      02-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

I kind of wish the car came with 2000Km on it already, already serviced. (On that note, why can't BMW break the engine and tranny in on a test bench?)The Nurburgring is north of Munich, and my trip will be taking me south all the way to Spain. I think I'll be hitting 2000Km around Barcelona. It'll be nice to be able to open the car up around there, but nowhere near as much fun as doing so in Germany and Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #21
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure they change your transmission oil? DCT transmissions are supposed to be sealed for life.
Yes - I remember telling them to make sure they change it with the right oil as this had become a big issue at tthe time (as some people got the wrong fluid which caused the box to be damaged). I had called them a couple of weeks before the service because I suspected that they would not have the DCT oil in stock (which was the case as they then ordered it from Germany).

I know that the DCT oil is there for life but I wanted to have it changed in the break in service so the system would be washed out of any metal particles (which is what the break in service is mostly about).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Man, that's steep (bordering theft for fluid change)! I suspect they are throwing in several hours of labor in there (it probably takes an experienced technician more like 45 minutes to do the whole thing). They probably claim they are "checking" and "tightening" things and charging you for it. I feel for you guys...
Labor is not so much the problem, it's the price of the fluids. Don't ask what one liter of 10W-60 costs...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0