BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

01-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

M3 CBS oil change interval = 24 months. WTF?

I just bought an E90 M3 about 2 months ago. It last had an oil change done by the dealer in early July (about 5500 miles ago). It says it is next due in 7/2016 (or in about 10,000 miles). I knew that BMW had a long mileage interval of 15k, but what's with the 24 months? They can't be serious?

I plan to do a DIY oil change in between dealer oil changes (first one being within the next month, as that will be 6-7 months after the last one) and didn't want to go more than 13 months between dealer changes. Will the dealer service my car before the CBS indicator tells me it is time, or should I just plan to do two or three DIY oil changes between the dealer services? I only drive about 5000 miles per year (if that) so it will surely be due based on time before mileage, and there is no way in hell I am going 24 months between oil changes.

So my options are either:

1. Do dealer services every 24 months or so (which will be about every 10000 miles based on the amount of driving I do) and then do one oil change halfway in between (at 5000 miles, or once every 12 months) or;

2. Do dealer service early (assuming they will let me) around every 12 months and don't bother with my own in between oil change

If I go with option 1, what would be a good frequency of DIY oil changes? Would 1 in between the 24 month dealer service suffice, or should I opt for 2 (so the oil will be changed around every 8 months, twice by me, once by dealer). I know doing an oil change around 4000 miles or less is overkill, but I am worried about time intervals and wondered if going more than 8 months was a wise choice.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 01-02-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Good talk.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You are allowed yearly under service agreement. Depends how much you drive and especially track if you want to do one every 6 months yourself.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Go option 1 and drive it more so that you don't have to worry about the extended time intervals.

I change every 4-7k miles, and did the same when I was still under warranty/service plans. Just always paid for the in between service.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Cassius
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You are allowed yearly under service agreement. Depends how much you drive and especially track if you want to do one every 6 months yourself.
+1

Annual early oil service it's called or just change yourself, what you worried about OP?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Yes they will change oil annualy under the maintenance agreement regardless of mileage. At least they did it for me a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
+1

Annual early oil service it's called or just change yourself, what you worried about OP?
I should add that I am in Germany, so free maintenance doesn't apply to me. Not sure if that makes a difference at all (but then again, I guess if I am paying the dealership money, why wouldn't they do whatever I want them to?)

My only concerns are keeping the engine in the best condition possible. With all the concerns with rod bearings and the fact that before me, both previous owners went about 13k miles before an oil changes, I wanted to up the frequency, and I was just trying to figure out the best way to go about it with my driving style and amount (about 5000 miles per year, mostly commuting in small towns back and forth to work about 16 miles per day both ways, with some spirited driving here and there)

I do want to continue to do dealership service to continue the trend for resale value so there is a record of services performed, but going 15k miles or 2 years isn't good enough for me, so I was just trying to figure out what frequency would be good to do a DIY oil change in conjunction with dealer changes when the CBS indicator tells me it is time.

So based on the 7/2016 due date (which will come up before I drive the car 15k miles) should I just do a dealer service at that time when the computer tells me, and do a DIY change in between (at 12 months), two changes in between (at 8 months), etc? I don't want to change the oil too frequently and overdo it (based on mileage) but am concerned whether or not leaving oil in my motor for a year or more is a smart decision regardless of miles put on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

There isn't a fact based answer to your question as far as I know, i.e. no data suggesting that 8 months is safe, whereas 12 months is not, etc.

I'm a relatively frequent oil change guy. The 4-7k mls between changes has "worked" for me thus far over many years of M ownership.

If I was purchasing your car, one change/year and every 5k miles would be totally safe from my perspective. Actually my greater concern would be with so few miles annually, is the car being used for short trips where the engine isn't even up to temp. (Rhetorical, you don't have to answer that. Just input from a purchase perspective since resale seems to be a priority here.)

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
I just bought an E90 M3 about 2 months ago. It last had an oil change done by the dealer in early July (about 5500 miles ago). It says it is next due in 7/2016 (or in about 10,000 miles). I knew that BMW had a long mileage interval of 15k, but what's with the 24 months? They can't be serious?

I plan to do a DIY oil change in between dealer oil changes (first one being within the next month, as that will be 6-7 months after the last one) and didn't want to go more than 13 months between dealer changes. Will the dealer service my car before the CBS indicator tells me it is time, or should I just plan to do two or three DIY oil changes between the dealer services? I only drive about 5000 miles per year (if that) so it will surely be due based on time before mileage, and there is no way in hell I am going 24 months between oil changes.

So my options are either:

1. Do dealer services every 24 months or so (which will be about every 10000 miles based on the amount of driving I do) and then do one oil change halfway in between (at 5000 miles, or once every 12 months) or;

2. Do dealer service early (assuming they will let me) around every 12 months and don't bother with my own in between oil change

If I go with option 1, what would be a good frequency of DIY oil changes? Would 1 in between the 24 month dealer service suffice, or should I opt for 2 (so the oil will be changed around every 8 months, twice by me, once by dealer). I know doing an oil change around 4000 miles or less is overkill, but I am worried about time intervals and wondered if going more than 8 months was a wise choice.
Im glad you brought this thread up - as I am experiencing the same thing - but this put the pieces to puzzle altogether.

My E92 also a low mileage car - My last dealer service oil change was 12/2013. 6500 miles post that, I had my trusted Indie shop due oil service. Recently got in my car to see the CBS notify me for "Oil Service Overdue" 12/2015.

I've only put 5xxx miles on since last oil change - and has been less then a year. Before reading your thread - I was under assumption BMW's CBS notified per year - but am now seeing another member experience the same thing (24 month exact) notification.

Will continue on my scheduled 6000mi/or yearly oil change - which has been great.
Appreciate 0