BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

12-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Break In Oil Analysis

Hello,

So I finally want to put this "soft break in" vs "hard break in" argument to rest. I took delivery of my 2013 e92 m3 last wednesday and am getting my break in service done tomorrow. I am going to have them save some oil for me so that I can send it into blackstone labs for testing. Then, we can see what is actually in this break-in oil of ours.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
motortrend
Goldmember
Rep
Drives: EM Siree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
Hello,

So I finally want to put this "soft break in" vs "hard break in" argument to rest. I took delivery of my 2013 e92 m3 last wednesday and am getting my break in service done tomorrow. I am going to have them save some oil for me so that I can send it into blackstone labs for testing. Then, we can see what is actually in this break-in oil of ours.
Sweet, what do you expect to find?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortrend View Post
Sweet, what do you expect to find?
no idea to be honest. looking to see if theres significant engine deposits in the oil or if the break in period is BS
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Did the same thing on mine at 1180 miles. Here are the comments from Blackstone regarding my sample:

"Don't be alarmed by the high metals and silicon present in this sample. Since your BMW is new, these metals are a result of the break-in process. Expect metals to linger for two or maybe three more oil changes as all that extra material washes out of your engine. Universal averages show typical wear for the BMW 4.0L engine after about 4,300 miles on the oil. Your engine should look like that or better soon. The viscosity was low for 10W/60 - in the 5W/30 range, and a trace of fuel is not concerning. Check back next oil change to see improvements."

High metals were copper and lead.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
Did the same thing on mine at 1180 miles. Here are the comments from Blackstone regarding my sample:

"Don't be alarmed by the high metals and silicon present in this sample. Since your BMW is new, these metals are a result of the break-in process. Expect metals to linger for two or maybe three more oil changes as all that extra material washes out of your engine. Universal averages show typical wear for the BMW 4.0L engine after about 4,300 miles on the oil. Your engine should look like that or better soon. The viscosity was low for 10W/60 - in the 5W/30 range, and a trace of fuel is not concerning. Check back next oil change to see improvements."
hmm this is interesting. how did you break your car in? did you drive it hard or did you follow the break in procedure?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Followed the break in procedure. Glad I did with the viscosity in the 5W-30 range. My thinking was the same as yours and I also wanted a baseline from the initial oil to compare to future samples. My last report was excellent. Metals and silicon were right where they should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
Followed the break in procedure. Glad I did with the viscosity in the 5W-30 range. My thinking was the same as yours and I also wanted a baseline from the initial oil to compare to future samples. My last report was excellent. Metals and silicon were right where they should be.
sweet, im glad i followed it then. did you start to drive it harder right after the break in or was it gradual? what mileage was your last report at? just curious to see how long it actually takes for the break in to be finished and for everything to be as it should be
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Hello,

So you put 1200 miles on in 5 days??..A su salud

Last edited by Vic311; 12-23-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
So you put 1200 miles on in 5 days??..A su salud
yes hahaha. the longer i go without being broken in and staying under 4.5k, the less likely i am to follow the procedure. so i had to crank it out
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sweet, im glad i followed it then. did you start to drive it harder right after the break in or was it gradual? what mileage was your last report at? just curious to see how long it actually takes for the break in to be finished and for everything to be as it should be
Fairly gradual for about another 200 miles and then let her rip. By my third oil analysis everything was looking good, although my last sample only had 4335 miles on it. Here are the comments:

"Nice improvement in wear. The oil was changed after last sample, and this oil was run just 4,335 miles, so we expected to see a nice drop like this. Hopefully iron and the other metals stay close to averages from now on.
Insolubles read at an incredible 0.0%. That's a rare find in used samples, so your oil filtration set-up is truly excellent. Insolubles are mainly oil oxidation and blow-by. The viscosity of this oil was in the 10W/60 range and should be fine for your BMW. No coolant or moisture was present. Great report at 10,581 miles!"
Appreciate 0