BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I actually used Google to search through the site but unfortunately didn't find the answers to the questions I posted above. Anyone who owns the DCT please help out with answering questions #2 and #3.

Quote:
2) Launching with the DCT? On occasion I love to burn some rubber in 1st & 2nd gear. With the 6MT that's not much of a problem because I can rev it up before the launch. The DCT I know has a Neutral gear but are you able to rev it up and press the peddle into first gear to get that nice burning launch?

3) Revving while moving. Say we are in 3rd gear rolling, are we able to rev the engine by placing it into neutral?
Please explain why you would even want to do such things. DCT already provides you with launch control which does exactly what you are looking from question 2.

As for question 3 this sounds a little childish, it's as if you are looking to rev the car as you go by a group of boys in their cars looking for a race or possibly going pass a group of girls giving it a rev to say something like 'look at me in my new M3'.

If you can explain that this isn't the case and can give an explanation for wanting to do either then I will happily give you a better answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #24
EOE90
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
blarhgadjhgajksfgjsdhgfsdhfksjhdf

6mt ftw
      04-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #25
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

this topic again?
      04-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Please explain why you would even want to do such things. DCT already provides you with launch control which does exactly what you are looking from question 2.

As for question 3 this sounds a little childish, it's as if you are looking to rev the car as you go by a group of boys in their cars looking for a race or possibly going pass a group of girls giving it a rev to say something like 'look at me in my new M3'.

If you can explain that this isn't the case and can give an explanation for wanting to do either then I will happily give you a better answer.
lol you're a funny guy. #2 can always be improved and #3 I'm gay so unless they have all gay schools your theory on my #3 question is way off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #27
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
lol you couldn't let me be could you? I remember you had a 335 as well. What happened to it?

Also have you tried the Double Clutch Transmission?
lolol
Sorry i just had to... Trust me i was intrigued by the DCT as well and yes no doubt it's phenomenal but if you're a 6MT at heart you will regret it.
There is no substitute for a 3rd pedal and shifting...
I remember you as well. We signed up here around the same time back in the end of 06'.
I ended up putting my 335 on leasebusters and got rid of it like that.
Just couldn't pass up on the deal that was being offered to me on a E93 M3...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
I'm gay so unless they have all gay schools your theory on my #3 question is way off.
Nice comeback.
      04-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #29
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
M DCT is gay.
Quote:
^^
This is an example of what you'll see 90% of the time when reading posts that discuss this matter.
If you noticed I was kidding when I said DCT is gay.

If you look at my sig it states I have the DCT tranny. And I am not gay. I only lke women.
      04-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
If you noticed I was kidding when I said DCT is gay.

If you look at my sig it states I have the DCT tranny. And I am not gay. I only lke women.
Ahhh damn sorry I should have read the sig. Judged too quickly heheh. But in all honestly I've seen really negative posts about DCT from MT owners. Almost as if they regret not getting DCT??

And about the gay comment, that was the only smart ass thing I could come up with to a smart ass comment he made. (Asking me to explain myself as to why I need to do what I need to do, none of his damn business)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
lolol
Sorry i just had to... Trust me i was intrigued by the DCT as well and yes no doubt it's phenomenal but if you're a 6MT at heart you will regret it.
There is no substitute for a 3rd pedal and shifting...
I remember you as well. We signed up here around the same time back in the end of 06'.
I ended up putting my 335 on leasebusters and got rid of it like that.
Just couldn't pass up on the deal that was being offered to me on a E93 M3...
Ahhh you went in on the 08 model?

Those were some amazing discounts they were offering. I was just talking to my sales guy and he said they needed to get rid of all of them and QUICK.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #32
TommyBwell
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92

When I blast through the gears with my DCT it makes me gigigle (and I'm not gay). It is so cool that such incredible technology is available to us for street use.

I agree with your thoughts on the 6MT guys constantly bashing the DCT. If you regret your decesion just type "6MT FTW" in as many posts as you can and you will feel better.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #33
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Get both! I already told this to someone else.
      04-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #34
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
but he may not admit it
That's a nice Christian...assume others lie about their decisions. Sigh.

I have DCT. I had a 6MT 911 for 5 years prior. I bought the DCT not because of a wife, eating hamburgers, faster tracking, faster shifts, etc etc. It's because I wanted to. What a novelty. One isn't better universally. To each his own. This DCT vs 6MT is like arguing about what tastes better: pizza or hamburger and validating your reasons. WTF.
      04-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #35
TommyBwell
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
This DCT vs 6MT is like arguing about what tastes better: pizza or hamburger and validating your reasons. WTF.
DCT and Pizza
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #36
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: murder.

I'm a 6MT guy at heart and about to pull the trigger on an E92 M3 as well. Mostly all my cars have been 6MT (Jeep Wrangler, Mini Cooper S, E92 335)

I was positive about going with the 6MT, it's almost not even a question anymore, it just has to be done. When I was going for my initial purchase of the M3, my local dealer did not have any 6MT coupes in stock. Actually, they only had one Coupe left and it was an M-DCT, so I drove the car for the mere fact that I just needed to get a feel for the M whether what tranny it had, I just want to get driver feel and experience the speed and the handling of the car.

I came away shocked. Not by the car, because I knew from the get go that the car would chock me. I came away shocked by that transmission. The whole time I was driving that car, it felt exactly like I was playing a video game. I was in awe the whole time that transmission was working. Instant upshifts, perfect down shifts. All those things that make you smile when playing Gran Turismo. It might make driving a little to easy, but god is it fast. And being the techonology junkie that I am, I have to have the latest and greatest, and fastest. Everyone says, well if your a good MT driver you can keep up with the DCT just fine. Why not just get the DCT and be done with it? I think I'll always be a MT driver at heart, but I don't think I would be able to live with myself if I go the M3 without this phenomenal new transmission.

My .02, Thanks.
      04-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlikescars View Post
I'm a 6MT guy at heart and about to pull the trigger on an E92 M3 as well. Mostly all my cars have been 6MT (Jeep Wrangler, Mini Cooper S, E92 335)

I was positive about going with the 6MT, it's almost not even a question anymore, it just has to be done. When I was going for my initial purchase of the M3, my local dealer did not have any 6MT coupes in stock. Actually, they only had one Coupe left and it was an M-DCT, so I drove the car for the mere fact that I just needed to get a feel for the M whether what tranny it had, I just want to get driver feel and experience the speed and the handling of the car.

I came away shocked. Not by the car, because I knew from the get go that the car would chock me. I came away shocked by that transmission. The whole time I was driving that car, it felt exactly like I was playing a video game. I was in awe the whole time that transmission was working. Instant upshifts, perfect down shifts. All those things that make you smile when playing Gran Turismo. It might make driving a little to easy, but god is it fast. And being the techonology junkie that I am, I have to have the latest and greatest, and fastest. Everyone says, well if your a good MT driver you can keep up with the DCT just fine. Why not just get the DCT and be done with it? I think I'll always be a MT driver at heart, but I don't think I would be able to live with myself if I go the M3 without this phenomenal new transmission.

My .02, Thanks.

I'm in the same position as you Eric. I didn't even think about getting the DCT until I tested it.

At this point I'm feeling like I would regret if I was to get the manual instead of the DCT. It was that good.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #38
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

You should pay attention to either guys who bought DCT and don't like it or bought 6MT and don't like it or testdrove both and did not buy either (I for one have testdrove only 6MT so I can not comment for DCT).
because the rest ( a good portion but not all) will be biased toward what they bought. The 6 MT has no known problems. It is a double disc clutch from ZD the first one in a M3.This is usually only found on race cars.

The DCT is a great concept but it has pbs. Seemingly easy to fix yes but they have not been fixed satisfactorily proof is the amount of threads on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #39
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

There are many reasons why I got a 6MT (including the fact that could only afford 1 car) but this is not the point here. My question is more: is there really a problem with the DCT?? When I see vids such as the ones posted by armyav8tor on his trips to the "Ring", it just seems tat DCT works incredibly well.

No matter what, I surely hope that any problem will be fixed at once and soon!
      04-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #40
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT

This was the most difficult choice since the DC-T was indeed impressive. I eventually decided to get the 6MT for the following reasons:
1. At the time of purchase of the car, the DC-T lag issue has not been resolved. I was not willing to bet $72K that BMW will eventually come out with a fix.
2. It seems that the DC-T is a sealed unit (non serviceable). How does this translate to long term cost-of-ownership? All components have a service life and DC-T is no exception.
3. It seems that it will be easier/ more robust to mod a MT car since the mechanism is simpler.
4. I really miss the fun on a MT having driven an automatic for the past 8 years.

With that said, I probably would go for the DC-T when the technology is more mature and I am too lazy to use the clutch pedal (when I hit my 40's).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #41
RCKe90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (soon)

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #42
Gubbins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Guys, there is enormous number of posts on this topic. Really ENORMOUS. Try using google to search the forum. It is was better than the search built into to forum. Use booleans as well. For example give this a try:

"6MT and M-DCT site:m3post.com"
What is it about people ALWAYS having a rant about searching? He asked some new specific questions. If a posting annoys you because it is on a topic you are tired of hearing about then DON'T READ IT. It is quite simple actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #43
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I can say from my upgrade from an 08 e92 M3 6MT to a 09 e92 M3 DCT. I have NO regrets. Ive driven both at the Performance Center and the DCT is by far the superior car IMO on the tracks. The DCT is not only faster, but more fun to swifts on chicane, since its effortless and provides me more time to concentrate and analyze what going on around the tracks.
But it can also dull you out sometimes around the neighborhood, if your driving is less than spirited.
Still DCT is my choice and you should consider it, and since you would be getting the manufacture date pass the Recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #44
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Ahhh you went in on the 08 model?

Those were some amazing discounts they were offering. I was just talking to my sales guy and he said they needed to get rid of all of them and QUICK.
Ya i ended up getting an 08. Prices were just insane!!

So here's my theory on DCT and Manual...
I drove a DCT and it is indeed an incredible piece of work. The shifts are flawless and you do feel like you're in a video game. Is it quicker then a manual transmission? Well the car is the same and has the same engine with the same horsepower. But it does shift quicker then any human will ever shift.
So essentially it is a little quicker but barely...
Now i see people writing things like "all DCT bashers are 6MT owners".
Well it's only logical that someone who bought a 6MT wanted a 6MT and not a DCT...
Now the reason i chose a 6MT is the following ( and i had a choice )
I don't track my car so the few tenths of a second don't change anything for me. I drive alot and as many people said if you're not driving in a "spirited manner" all the time then it could get a little boring.
I just love the "action" of shifting and pressing the clutch. I'm not knocking the DCT in any way , because like i said it's truly impressive. It just wasn't for me. Call me old school if you'd like but i will always choose a manual unless i have to consider things like my wife driving the car and she can't drive stick.
I'm 29 and am probably the biggest tech freak around, and even though the DCT is a technical "tour de force" 6MT is what i chose.
Appreciate 0