BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

I'm with LBM on this one here. i have the Dinan rear and midpipe and couldn't be happier. the quality is top notch and there is no drone ever anywhere in the rpm range. i know there are alot of Dinan haters on here but i have had there products on my past 3 M cars and never had any problems at all.

i can't stand drone and i have yet to find another brand that has no drone anywhere. there may be not alot but it has some. the dinan never had any on any of my M cars and that is why i went with theres even though it might not have the most hp out there.

LBM summed it up pretty good. you have to choose what is good for you not what your so cal friends will think etc

good luck in your choice
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #24
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

MrHarris -

I think we know that Dinan makes a quality product. Seems like everyone wants to beat that in heads around here lately. I have no doubt it is a quality exhaust with a good sound, no drone, and it adds a little power. I couldn't get past the fake tip; if you can I don't think you can go wrong with Dinan.

If you can wait, I will give you my honest review of the Gintani Sport once I get it installed. Doesn't seem like Lemans has anything bad to say about it so I consider that a plus. If it had an obvious flaw I think he or someone else would have pointed that out by now since I have asked twice in two different threads.

AA is fine too in my book. I just think it is a little pricey for what you get but you really can't go wrong with it either. I had an AA exhaust on my E36 M3 and it was great.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
AMPowerJ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post

LBM summed it up pretty good. you have to choose what is good for you not what your so cal friends will think etc
Who the hell said anything about anyone's friends? This is a car forum guys not a high school drama class. Where did that come from?

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
I've heard and driven a lot of exhausts that have come through our doors, my recommended choices would be (in no particular order):

Eisenmann Sport
Remus Sport
Bastuck
Akrapovic
SuperSprint

The Gintani system sounds great under load, but may be a lit loud depending is equipped with the full system, of course dependent on personal taste.

The Fame and Kris-seg sound awesome on video, but would have to hear them in person on to make judgment.

If you ultimately end up deciding on the AA system, I have a Section 1/II takeoff here with less than 1000mi on it.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #27
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

exactly this is not high school, i agreed with something lemans said that had to do with that. you must of missed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Who the hell said anything about anyone's friends? This is a car forum guys not a high school drama class. Where did that come from?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the fake tip is for a reason. if you go to there site you can read a spec sheet as to why they do that. and bc of that is the reason you get what you get out of the muffler and no drone. i don't know why people make such a big deal out of the fake tip

to each there own though, it doesn't bother me any

Quote:
MrHarris -

I think we know that Dinan makes a quality product. Seems like everyone wants to beat that in heads around here lately. I have no doubt it is a quality exhaust with a good sound, no drone, and it adds a little power. I couldn't get past the fake tip; if you can I don't think you can go wrong with Dinan.

If you can wait, I will give you my honest review of the Gintani Sport once I get it installed. Doesn't seem like Lemans has anything bad to say about it so I consider that a plus. If it had an obvious flaw I think he or someone else would have pointed that out by now since I have asked twice in two different threads.

AA is fine too in my book. I just think it is a little pricey for what you get but you really can't go wrong with it either. I had an AA exhaust on my E36 M3 and it was great.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #29
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Mr. Harris...
If you buy a bastuck v2 I will not be your friend anymore...
      01-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I'm not going bastuck... we can still be friends

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #31
KHOALTY
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

MrHarris: Since you are near Los Angeles, I am sure there are alot of enthusiast wouldn't mind taking you for a spin under different conditions so you can hear the exhaust in person for yourself. Personally all the aftermarket exhaust will have drone no matter what, except for Dinan which I couldn't hear. Drone is very subjective in how sensitive people are. For example some people say there is no drone on the eisenmann sport, there is some on there, but it isn't to the point where it will annoy some people, if you love listening to the music then the drone can be tuned out. I hear the drone on the eisenmann sport but it isn't that bad at all.

If you post up on the cali section I am sure there will be a handful of people that will help you out and hearing it in person is definitely better than reading on the forums bc it is in person, nothing beats that at all.

Listening on youtube won't help bc every person guns the heck out of the car, that is nice but no one does real life situations but it is very hard to record that as well. Even if people drive slow outside, no one records on the inside of the car to record how it feels. There is one person that did this now that I recall on the eisenmann sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #32
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I've learned there is drone in every exhaust at 3k on the freeway that is audible (noticeably) unless there is some sort of NCC/helmholtz chamber. It's the loudness, tone, and vibration that differs between each exhaust.

I'm thinking either Dinan or AA if I want absolutely no drone (but still not sure which one between the two)

Or Gintani sport w/ minor but livable drone (as all exhausts besides those two drone)

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i can assure you there is 100% no drone with the Dinan one, in fact if you get it and find any drone i will give you $500 bucks for real. as long as you don't have any other brand midpipe or x pipe etc. if it is all Dinan then my offer stands, that is how confident in the non drone factor i am

as for btw the AA and the Dinan, i looked at both and heard both and i was able to hear some slight drone in the AA and i felt the build quality was better with the Dinan. i also liked the warranty with the Dinan and that it doesn't bother the BMW warranty as well

hope that helps some. if your ever out east in the NY area lmk i will take you for a spin in mine or you can drive and see how it is for yourself

good luck with your mufffler hunt

also as someone else mentioned you really can't go by the vid clips bc they sound different in real life. i know the ones i made sound so much better in real life. i guess my camera is not that good

if you want i can take some more for you at different rpm ranges if you need

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I've learned there is drone in every exhaust at 3k on the freeway that is audible (noticeably) unless there is some sort of NCC/helmholtz chamber. It's the loudness, tone, and vibration that differs between each exhaust.

I'm thinking either Dinan or AA if I want absolutely no drone (but still not sure which one between the two)

Or Gintani sport w/ minor but livable drone (as all exhausts besides those two drone)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #34
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
i can assure you there is 100% no drone with the Dinan one, in fact if you get it and find any drone i will give you $500 bucks for real. as long as you don't have any other brand midpipe or x pipe etc. if it is all Dinan then my offer stands, that is how confident in the non drone factor i am
Well Mr. Harris, it appears that H-Bomb has laid down the gauntlet...

I'll bet none of the other brands that you are considering can offer you a "no drone cash back guarantee"!
      01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
If you can wait, I will give you my honest review of the Gintani Sport once I get it installed.
Not sure about Mr. Harris, but I can definitely wait. I'm in the market too...

Speaking of Gintani Sport, where can you order it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:

heres what i think:

gintani sport
active autowerke
dinan

in that order...the drone wont be as noticeable as you think, especially with those mufflers

also, didnt you have a gintani race before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Not sure about Mr. Harris, but I can definitely wait. I'm in the market too...

Speaking of Gintani Sport, where can you order it?

(818)787-8260 talk to Arno

Last edited by xxe92xx; 01-27-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Just heard the Akrapovic Slip On, on Muzeon's car today and it is
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #38
AMPowerJ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the fake tip is for a reason. if you go to there site you can read a spec sheet as to why they do that. and bc of that is the reason you get what you get out of the muffler and no drone. i don't know why people make such a big deal out of the fake tip

to each there own though, it doesn't bother me any
To clarify the fake tip is not there for a reason. It serves no purpose other than for looks; hence the reason it is fake. There is a single tip for a reason with this exhaust based on the design. Since visual appeal was a primary concern for me that is why the extra 'tip to no where' bothers me. Other than that, for me at least, the Dinan would be a solid choice.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #39
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
+1 agency and vanguard dont really have much sound either...id rather stick with oem than go with either IMO
What? No Sound on Vanguard! Have you ever owned either of those? I love the sound of the Vanguard and i think it's a great tone for those who want some noise but also don't want too much. It's female friendly.

Look at the clips for an initial preview but you gotta sit in the cars to really experience the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #40
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Then buy the Bastuck V2 exhaust if you want a deeper exhaust tone that's not super loud...and doesn't drone.

You will get a good power bump from the exhaust, since it's a free flowing design. The gains are even better with a good x-pipe /w/ 200-300 cell HFC's.

The Bastuck V2 exhaust is reasonably priced (less than 2k), and it's manufactured using aircraft quality (ACQ) 304 Stainless Steel. Every exhaust system is hand-built to OEM quality standards in Germany. The fit & finish are both top notch.

It has 85mm double-wall polished tips, and the connecting pipes are included in the base price so it's also an excellent value. The Bastuck exhaust is an easy bolt-on installation. (no cutting required)

It's also about 10 lbs lighter than stock.

And the best part is...it won't cause your neighbors to call the cops on you anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
id say go with aa or gintani...if your getting an aftermarket muffler might as well get something you can hear and has some tone...and all the drone your talking about wont be as noticeable as you think...but if your really that picky about the drone issue go with dinan as LMB stated

so im guessing you have dinan...or maybe you work for dinan haha

I was going to say the exact same thing. The V2 is only suppose to be a little louder than the V1, which is a little too quiet for me. There is no drone at all, but definitely deeper than stock. Too bad for me they couldn't get the design/sound right the first time. I think an X-pipe or secondary cat delete may do the trick on the volume issue.
The build quality is truely at an OEM level. Fit and finish is also excellent.
It's really strange it gets no love here, but then there are all these posts about people wanting an exhaust that doesn't drone, but is still heard.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #41
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i'm sorry your right i meant there is a purpose behind the one tip on each side but the extra second tip on each side is for looks correct. my mistake

H

Quote:
To clarify the fake tip is not there for a reason. It serves no purpose other than for looks; hence the reason it is fake. There is a single tip for a reason with this exhaust based on the design. Since visual appeal was a primary concern for me that is why the extra 'tip to no where' bothers me. Other than that, for me at least, the Dinan would be a solid choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #42
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Where's the best place to purchase the Bastuck V1/V2?

Both V1 and V2 have no drone? Do they also use a helmholtz chamber as well?

Would the V2 have no drone, even paired with an xpipe? I'm more concerned about the 3k highway drone than any other type of drone.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #43
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you don't like the Dinan?? there is no drone anywhere

Quote:
Where's the best place to purchase the Bastuck V1/V2?

Both V1 and V2 have no drone? Do they also use a helmholtz chamber as well?

Would the V2 have no drone, even paired with an xpipe? I'm more concerned about the 3k highway drone than any other type of drone.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #44
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
you don't like the Dinan?? there is no drone anywhere
I do somewhat. I do not like how the canisters are polished yet the tips are ceramic black.

Also, is the tone much different than stock when combined with an xpipe w/ hfc's? The Dinan xpipe i just 4 sets of resonators.

Also, is the Dinan adjustable to accommodate a diffuser? Is the muffler any louder over the stock muffler?

Appreciate 0