BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-16-2024, 07:53 PM   #23
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

It’s been a while.., I wonder what the OP decided..
It’s understandable to get frustrated when things break on the E9x M3.. and you feel like moving on to a more reliable platform.
Been there, done that! I’m currently on my 3rd E9x M3!!
I bought my 2nd M3 after trading in a 335is because the engine didn’t feel special like the S65 V8 & the N54 had rev hang as well as turbo lag (manual transmission upshifts and full throttle, there is turbo lag). Enjoyed the M3 for 47,000 miles but then it needed the usual stuff & gasket leaks one after the other, on a whim test drove a 2020 BRZ tS during lock down, was blown away by the light weight & agile handling, bought it for 4K off MSRP, made the M3 feel too heavy on the street as well as track, M3 would just sit for weeks, so sold it.
Drove the BRZ tS for 15,000 miles and realized that while the chassis & handling was great, the engine simply was uninspiring (almost boring) and with all that road noise, started missing the M3 again!!
Rented a F80 M3 for 4 days, while fun when driving aggressively, did not feel special like the e92 M3 on most times, it was more like a modified version of N54 powered 335i..
Just bought my 3rd e92 M3 MT 2 months ago, after owning a 2016 Cayman MT, 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio & 2020 Camaro MT SS 1LE, drove each of them for 10-12,000 miles including 5 to 7 track days.
In my opinion the E9x M3 does most things well & feels special even though some of the above cars do some things much better than the M3!
I’m aware my M3 will be needing the usual stuff over time but can’t think of a better all rounder with NA V8 MT that sounds so good!
To the OP, I’d say keep the M3 and if possible get a low cost used reliable car to have a different experience!

Sorry for the long post..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:09 PM   #24
SSJVegita
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
I drove an IS500 this summer, and while it was fun, it didn't have the razor-edged engine response that we love from the M3. Unless maintained the M3 was breaking you, I couldn't see taking an IS500 over it.
Yea i wasnt ever planning on trading the m3 for an is500, what i been thinking is getting rid of the type r and getting a is500. I just need a somewhat fun daily and keep the m3 for the real spirited drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:54 PM   #25
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I have an FL5 as my daily driver.

My thoughts?
Positives: The new FL5 looks awesome, so much better than the FK8, and the new widebody has amazing road presence. The new interior is awesome too, with one of the best seats, controls are easy to use and overall the car is very well made. Love all the newer tech, wireless CarPlay, and all the lane keep/centering/adaptive cruise works perfectly. Driving position is bang on and the clutch is way better feeling compared to the E9x M3. The car gets lots of attention and and thumbs ups. I'm getting 25-27mpg on average, and the ride is very nice in comfort mode.

Negatives: Pretty numb steering compared to the E9x M3, fake engine noises with piped-in sounds, you can turn it off but then it sounds very uninspiring. The engine’s powerband is very rubber band-like, it doesn't have that instant crisp throttle response of the S65, not even close. The shifter is nice and direct but I actually prefer the feel of the M3’s 6MT with the Autosolutions shifter, which feels more mechanical and rifle bolt. It's been a while since I've had a FWD car and while the Type R does cool party tricks to mask that it's FWD, it's still obvious it's a higher-powered FWD. It feels odd when giving it heavy throttle and turning, like the steering stiffens up and wants you to go straight even when you turn into a corner.

Overall I think the FL5 is an amazing car and I love having it as a daily driver. Very fun, refined, easy to drive and I highly recommend one if it’s your only car. If you can afford the upkeep, terrible gas mileage, the M3 feels more raw and special, it has this immediate response and sheer theatrics the FL5 can’t match. Getting into the M3 and getting ready to drive feels like an event, but sometimes you just want to get in and drive without having to warm up the car for 10 minutes.

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 03:26 PM   #26
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

I recently had a chance to spend some time driving our 500whp FK8 at work and it was my first time driving an FK8. What I took away from driving it is this. I get it. I get why people like these. I also understand why people don't like them. It's fast, it makes turbo noises, brakes are good, shifter is satisfying and it handles wonderfully. It doesn't sound particularly good, the interior is fine, the looks are divisive and it attracts attention of all kinds.

If someone wants the best FWD car on the market this is it. I'm not the person that would replace my e9x with one of these or use it as a daily but I understand why someone would want one.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*
Appreciate 0