BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Unhappy Lotus Evora GT is not what I expected

Hi all!

I went to the Lotus dealer to check out my current automotive crush—the new Emira—and ended up test driving an Evora GT instead. (They didn’t have an Emira demonstrator on hand.) The Evora is a car I strongly considered buying 3 years ago, so it was great to finally drive one!

Lotus, to me, is a halo brand for talkative steering. For this reason, I expected the Evora GT to have the perfect combination of extraordinary steering feel, mid-engine sports car moves, and evocative styling. Well, two out of three isn’t bad…right?

The styling was a knock-out (especially in vivid green), the brakes saved me from rear ending a bonehead SUV driver, the chassis had grip for days, and the engine had a fantastic roar. But the steering…

Honestly, I was let down by the steering. Yes, it was quick and communicative, but I wanted Lotus Elise or 997 911 GT3 levels of feel and feedback, and the Evora GT didn't have that.

(Here is a link to my full writeup on the drive.)

The experience has me questioning my Emira crush, because I’ve heard its steering is even less lively than the Evora’s. Once the dealership has an Emira demonstrator, I’ll try it for myself and see. But in the meantime, I’m full of mixed feelings about the Evora GT and Emira.

Best,
Mike

11-09-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I drove the Emira during Monterey Car Week. The supercharged V6 made all the right noises and plenty of power. I loved the steering and the manual transmission felt like an extension of my body. It felt like a car I could drive all day and not be tired. Some sports cars are stiff and unforgiving, not the Emira. Even with the sports suspension on broken pavement, it was not uncomfortable.

I haven't driven the Evora but from what others say the Evora is 90% of the experience.
Attached Images

11-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I have a friend, he's an auto journo, who owns a 718 Spyder (drop top GT4). He loves his Spyder. When he drove the Emira V6 he was raving about it. He gave the Emira 10/10 and downgraded his Spyder to a 7/10, in terms of handling and driving experience. I was quite shocked at the comment.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:29 AM   #4
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

I test drove the Emira as well and am seriously considering switching from my E92 to one. I’ve never driven an Exige or 997 GT3 but I felt the steering feel was as communicative (if not more) as the E9x platform, which, by modern standards is better than 99% of modern cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I have a friend, he's an auto journo, who owns a 718 Spyder (drop top GT4). He loves his Spyder. When he drove the Emira V6 he was raving about it. He gave the Emira 10/10 and downgraded his Spyder to a 7/10, in terms of handling and driving experience. I was quite shocked at the comment.
Wow, that is quite a statement. Did this friend write an article you can share?
      11-11-2023, 04:36 PM   #6
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
I test drove the Emira as well and am seriously considering switching from my E92 to one. I’ve never driven an Exige or 997 GT3 but I felt the steering feel was as communicative (if not more) as the E9x platform, which, by modern standards is better than 99% of modern cars.
When I got my E90 in 2013 or so, I remember being disappointed with the steering feel vs. my old Mitsu Evo IX. But as the rest of cars went to EPAS, the M3 got better and better!

It's been a while since I sold my M3, but I can see how it might compare similarly to the Evora GT for steering feel.

VR1 - you'd be willing to give up the M3's V8 for the Lotus V6?
      11-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I drove the Emira during Monterey Car Week. The supercharged V6 made all the right noises and plenty of power. I loved the steering and the manual transmission felt like an extension of my body. It felt like a car I could drive all day and not be tired. Some sports cars are stiff and unforgiving, not the Emira. Even with the sports suspension on broken pavement, it was not uncomfortable.

I haven't driven the Evora but from what others say the Evora is 90% of the experience.
I saw all the Emiras at car week but didn't manage to drive them. The array of exterior colors on hand was pretty impressive. What was your favorite color? I liked the reds and the bronze-gray.
      11-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
I saw all the Emiras at car week but didn't manage to drive them. The array of exterior colors on hand was pretty impressive. What was your favorite color? I liked the reds and the bronze-gray.
That is a hard one. For purchase, I like more muted classic colors so for me, a silver/grey one would be great. Perfect for me as they have 4 different silver/greys! I usually like white but the Emira doesn't have a bright white - they have a odd tan white.

For eye candy, I did like the reds and dark green because its that classic British racing color.
      12-02-2023, 08:37 PM   #9
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Surprised the steering was the let down. For me it's the red line and gearing; none of which are easily remedied. I have a love/hate relationship with the brand but I will admit you aren't finding anything made in the last 10+ years that has the same steering feel. Maybe a McLaren Mp4-12c
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 09:26 AM   #10
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Surprised the steering was the let down. For me it's the red line and gearing; none of which are easily remedied. I have a love/hate relationship with the brand but I will admit you aren't finding anything made in the last 10+ years that has the same steering feel. Maybe a McLaren Mp4-12c
Yeah, the McLarens come close. I really like the 570GT steering!