BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

03-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just picked up 2 of em! woot.
      03-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Sold my iPad2 for $400 on fleabay.
When?

if I could have gotten $400 for mine, I'd upgrade lol
but I know I can't
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
What iPad 3? This is the same thing as iPad 2 with a minor bump in specs..

Reminds me of the whole iPhone 5 being released but turns out to be only a 4s..
Technically they didn't call it an iPad 3 lol. it's an iPad HD, which is a suitable name IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Technically they didn't call it an iPad 3 lol. it's an iPad HD, which is a suitable name IMO
If you wanna get technical: it's the new iPad; no 3, no HD, just iPad.
      03-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yup. Not a "3" or "HD", just "iPad" which mirrors how their other products, save the iphone, are named. It will end up being something like "I have a gen 4 ipad."

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #50
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
"New iPad is such a disappointment, but I still spent $600 on it."
Fuckin Apple fanboys...

My Asus Transformer Prime has 2 more cores, higher res camera, better battery life, $100 cheaper, and I've had it for months.
Apple fanboy.. hhahahahahahaah

My first ever apple product and now I'm a fanboy.
By the way, I spent $830 on it, moron. Go cry to your mama.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #51
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Yup. Not a "3" or "HD", just "iPad" which mirrors how their other products, save the iphone, are named. It will end up being something like "I have a gen 4 ipad."
Correct. I guess iPad will be mainstream product line from now on, I heard they decided to drop the numeric designation and go by generation numbers now. Its just third generation iPad, and will be kept that way from now on. Just like other apple products.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #52
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
i agree maybe for some its worth it but i see no point.

the new iPad is a decent upgrade but not enough for me to buy since I have an iPad 2 and does everything I need perfectly. Retina display is cool but I'll just wait till next years iPad to upgrade, then I can give my current one to a family member
or bp buddy
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #53
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Technically the screen on the iPad "3" has a higher res than all the current HDTVs on the market right now. My biggest complaint with the iPad1 is the screen.

As for the Android alternatives, there are very few tablet-specific apps out there that are more than just a stretched version of the phone apps. The iPad has over 200,000 apps specifically for it that isn't just a stretched phone app. Apps even the iPhone 4S cannot run because of its small size. I have an Android tablet as well as my iPad1 (I'm a techie), and the apps on the iPad are so much better than their Android versions. Just like the examples mentioned in the keynote yesterday. Not to mention, I really like Apple's app security and review process, even though they have been slacking a bit lately. Its still better than the Android Market, which no one polices.
interesting
i have the samsung 10.1..works great and reason i got it over the ipad is 1) has better resolution 2) widescreen..great for movies 3) can view flash sites 4) more customizable.

Now i've heard about how ipad apps are specifically designed for the ipad and the criticism that some/most of the android pad apps are just phone apps made bigger for the tablets,...practically speaking though what's wrong with that? The ipad is just a big iphone right? How do they make the apps "unique" for the ipad?

As an example, i play angry birds on my sammy, it has perfectly fine touchscreen control, fills out the entire screen, and works perfect..where does the problem come from?

which tablet do you have btw? there's a lot of junk android tablets...if you want an ipad-level one like the sammy you gotta pay ipad-level prices
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #54
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Sold my ipad2 for 400 on eBay and rather take a smaller hit now than a bigger one later.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #55
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I waited to join the table world because I didn't know how much I'd really use it. A lot of people use them to take notes in class. I like the idea of that. My mom has been wanting one for a while as well. So I decided to order one. If I like it, I'll order another one with more storage and 4G. If I don't find it useful, I'll just give it to my mom and call it a day. It's a win/win situation for my mom. Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #56
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I waited to join the table world because I didn't know how much I'd really use it. A lot of people use them to take notes in class. I like the idea of that. My mom has been wanting one for a while as well. So I decided to order one. If I like it, I'll order another one with more storage and 4G. If I don't find it useful, I'll just give it to my mom and call it a day. It's a win/win situation for my mom. Lol
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Not to be rude... but you need a new set of glasses.

I see what you are saying though. Zoom-in is the key to tell the difference between high/low resolutions.

By the way, I would NOT upgrade to iPad 3 if I had iPad 2. No way in hell. I have iPhone 4, will never pay for iPhone 4S.
I have perfect vision

What I meant by that was when you are holding it at a normal distance from your eyes they look the same.. I should have been more clear..

and completely agree with you about having a 4 and upgrading to a 4s!
      03-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #58
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
interesting
i have the samsung 10.1..works great and reason i got it over the ipad is 1) has better resolution 2) widescreen..great for movies 3) can view flash sites 4) more customizable.

Now i've heard about how ipad apps are specifically designed for the ipad and the criticism that some/most of the android pad apps are just phone apps made bigger for the tablets,...practically speaking though what's wrong with that? The ipad is just a big iphone right? How do they make the apps "unique" for the ipad?

As an example, i play angry birds on my sammy, it has perfectly fine touchscreen control, fills out the entire screen, and works perfect..where does the problem come from?

which tablet do you have btw? there's a lot of junk android tablets...if you want an ipad-level one like the sammy you gotta pay ipad-level prices
The iPad exclusive apps are usually designed totally differently, they're not just bigger versions of the phone apps.
      03-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #59
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO K
Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Unknown modifier 'g' in [path]/bpmobile/includes/functions_read.php on line 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Not to be rude... but you need a new set of glasses.

I see what you are saying though. Zoom-in is the key to tell the difference between high/low resolutions.

By the way, I would NOT upgrade to iPad 3 if I had iPad 2. No way in hell. I have iPhone 4, will never pay for iPhone 4S.
I have perfect vision

What I meant by that was when you are holding it at a normal distance from your eyes they look the same.. I should have been more clear..

and completely agree with you about having a 4 and upgrading to a 4s!
There is defiantly a difference between the 2 screens at normal distance (regular iPhone vs retina display) .. Also I upgraded from a 4 to a 4S, sold my 16gb 4 for $350 and bought a 32gb 4S for $299 + tax don't see anything wrong with that.
      03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #60
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

'The new iPad' is just terrible. 95% of iPad 2 users are not going to notice a single difference when getting 'The new iPad'. And such a ripoff at $499 with the Transformer Prime already out at 499 for the 32GB and the Transformer Infinity coming out soon with a better screen at the same price. Why the hell would anyone buy 'The new iPad'.

/end rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
There is defiantly a difference between the 2 screens at normal distance (regular iPhone vs retina display) .. Also I upgraded from a 4 to a 4S, sold my 16gb 4 for $350 and bought a 32gb 4S for $299 + tax don't see anything wrong with that.
$299 + tax on a contract or $299 + tax outright? There's a big difference between the 2....good luck upgrading to the iPhone 5 in 6 months :P

Also, 'Retina display' just means the pixel density and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the screen. Samsung's S-AMOLED screens are much better than any of the screens ever put in an apple product.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #61
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

So your saying when you look at the two screens they look exactly the same to you??? .. I had an existing contract and I upgraded like I've been doing since the first iPhone came out .. 1st gen to 3G to 3gs to 4 to 4s .. I've always either made a profit or basically broke even with each upgrade, I don't see how that's bad if I'm always getting a new phone. Also I got the phone in October so in about 6 months im sure I can upgrade again. I upgraded from the 3G to 3GS within 7 months and got the discounted price. .... On a side note, can't wait for march 16th!
      03-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #62
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

Micro center has the ipad 2 16g wifi for $360 new.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #63
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
So your saying when you look at the two screens they look exactly the same to you??? .. I had an existing contract and I upgraded like I've been doing since the first iPhone came out .. 1st gen to 3G to 3gs to 4 to 4s .. I've always either made a profit or basically broke even with each upgrade, I don't see how that's bad if I'm always getting a new phone. Also I got the phone in October so in about 6 months im sure I can upgrade again. I upgraded from the 3G to 3GS within 7 months and got the discounted price. .... On a side note, can't wait for march 16th!
It will look better, but not as good as the resolution suggests.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #64
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
How do you do that? Most contract require two years before you get the upgrade price, but a new iphone comes out every year.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #65
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

^^ I don't know, I don't really do anything. I just call to check if I'm eligible when the new one is coming out and they always say yes .. Lucky I guess :/ lol
      03-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #66
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
It will look better, but not as good as the resolution suggests.
I was gonna stay quiet, but your comments are very inaccurate. Either you got issues or just don't know how to distinguish good screens then.

iPad 2 has 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 ppi.
iPad 3 has 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 ppi.

That is double the original pixel per inch. If you can't tell the difference, then your very own retina is clearly malfunctioning. Easier comparison is iphone 3 vs iphone 4. Again, iphone 4 doubled the pixel density. If you compare those two phones, iphone 3 screen looks like a picture taken with ISO 1600. Full of noise. Given bigger screens, upgrade seem less visible at a moment, but thorough inspection will actually reveal much bigger difference in overall screen definition. Saying the difference between the two isn't much, is just as bad as saying dynex 720p looks just as quality as samsung 1080p.

With S-AMOLED, thats perference difference. There is no winner. Display resolution has been always the strong point of Retina, while color saturation is what makes S-AMOLED great. I do prefer S-AMOLED though.

Galaxy vs Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0