BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
golfnutintib
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i, 2011 E92 M3

I had a similar problem after changing wheels and going to a 12 mm hubcentric spacer in the fronts. Had shakes at 75-80 mph and I took it to three shops (the second was a BMW dealer with a Roadforce balancer). The third shop was recommended to me by my Porsche mechanic, he is an independent tire and repair shop and I dealt with the owner/manager who did the balance himself and then drove the car with me. He said the dealer balance was still a good bit off on one wheel, and he moved the weights to a different spot and got it just right. Now, its smooth as silk. Moral of the story -- even shops with the Hunter machine needs a mechanic/operator with skill and experience to get the balance just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Steering wheel vibration at 80 mph is a common problem with the M3. The car is very sensitive at that speed. I always make sure I have the wheels / tires road force balanced, torque the lugs with the wheels in the air or with only slight weight on them (front wheels are hard to torque without lowering the car to the point that the tire touches the ground slightly), and of course have them test the wheels / tires for bends and run-out. Unfortunately I have experienced slight vibration even when all of the above listed things are done right. Sometimes it's paranoia on my part and really only due to the road surface. Make sure you are on a very smooth road to test. The M3 is designed to have excellent road feel which translates into road surface imperfections transmitting to the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0