BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #89
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
Order placed, thanks again Andrew!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #90
Dr3wM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Competition

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
2005 BMW X5 3.0i  [10.00]
Sorry to bump an old thread...
Was wondering if anyone can comment if they used the included aluminum spacer when they installed their AA green filter. I was unable to get the filter to fit with the spacer on. If I took the spacer off, then I was able to get it on. I had to depress the tensioner to put the filter in place, however, the tensioner was no longer in contact with the filter when positioned. There is now a gap between the tensioner ball and the filter.

I took it for a drive and heard a bunch of weird noises. There was a rattle at low RPM's (between 1000 and 3000) and there is some chattering noise. I also installed the AA test pipes the week prior. I'll have to take a look under the car to see if any of the clamps are touching the heat shield. I will provide my review for both the AA green filter and AA test pipes as soon as I get this filter thing resolved and I eliminate some of the noise.

2013 BMW M3 (Purchased 09/2015, 10k miles)
-Fully Loaded with Competition Package
2005 BMW X5 3.0i (Purchased in 2005)
-Premium and Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #91
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wM3 View Post
Was wondering if anyone can comment if they used the included aluminum spacer when they installed their AA green filter. I was unable to get the filter to fit with the spacer on. If I took the spacer off, then I was able to get it on. I had to depress the tensioner to put the filter in place, however, the tensioner was no longer in contact with the filter when positioned. There is now a gap between the tensioner ball and the filter.

I took it for a drive and heard a bunch of weird noises. There was a rattle at low RPM's (between 1000 and 3000) and there is some chattering noise. I also installed the AA test pipes the week prior. I'll have to take a look under the car to see if any of the clamps are touching the heat shield. I will provide my review for both the AA green filter and AA test pipes as soon as I get this filter thing resolved and I eliminate some of the noise.
I have the Macht Schnell drop in filter which is slightly larger and longer so it does not need a spacer to hold it in, as there is an indention in the rubber sidewall to accommodate the tensioner end but it is very tight fit... and it should be a very tight for good reason... What you hear is your filter rattling around in you air box, which also means that you dont have a good seal at the base and your engine is sucking in dirty air... Leave the spacer on, it's there for a reason... It should be a pretty tight fit when you put it in; just don't break anything...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #92
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wM3 View Post

Cars built after 2008 need the spacer so install it. You may have to loosen the connection to the plenum and put your back into it.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #93
Dr3wM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I will attempt to reinstall this evening.

2013 BMW M3 (Purchased 09/2015, 10k miles)
-Fully Loaded with Competition Package
2005 BMW X5 3.0i (Purchased in 2005)
-Premium and Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #94
Dr3wM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
I was installing it the wrong way. i was trying to wedge the filter in over the tensioner rather than starting from the other side and depress the tensioner with the aluminum spacer. Pretty simple. Haven't fired it up yet as its snowing outside now!
Appreciate 0