BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #23
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
whats crate training?

i was thinking of getting a small dog, but i really dont have time to train it--i'd prefer to go to a dog school or something for a few sessions
from wikipedia- Crate training is the process of teaching a dog to go into its crate on command, and to accept the crate as a familiar and safe location. Dogs are den-dwelling animals and advocates claim that a crate can become a den substitute. Those who advocate the use of crates believe that crate-training benefits both the dog and owner. Crate training is almost exclusively used by American dog owners.

I was planning on getting a german shepherd but had seconds thoughts since dogs require a lot of attention and commitment.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #24
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Pembroke or Cardigan?? Once I get my own house, I plan on getting a Pembroke..
Hopefully he/she likes to play frisbee.

heh.. If my friends dog is in the house, she wont go outside until she gets a slice of cheese.

-Nathan
Pembroke's. I absolutely love the dog breed - such personalities. The Red & White one is a three year old dainty princess girl who shakes her feet when she walks on anything besides cement and carpet and triple pumps before jumping on the furniture. The tri-color is also a female and is hardcore - jumps higher than most full sized dogs and loves to play and get dirty.

Also to add to the crate training - the crate training plays a huge part in potty training a dog. It puts them on a schedule and trains them to hold it because once they crap on themselves once or twice, they don't feel like doing that anymore.
________
Suzuki DR800S
________
EL250E
________
Mercedes-Benz
________
HERBAL VAPORIZER

Last edited by stimpy; 02-18-2011 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #25
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
I hate to piss on the lovefest here (but I will)...IT IS A DOG...give it food, shelter and love...nothing more...all of that other stuff is total non-sense

My last dog was rescued from the crazy neighbors...lived 21 years (mutt) and we spent a total of $0 on vet bills/medicine. Never even bothered to get tags...

We are the only country on the planet with an obesity problem....with our PETS

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #26
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
I hate to piss on the lovefest here (but I will)...IT IS A DOG...give it food, shelter and love...nothing more...all of that other stuff is total non-sense

My last dog was rescued from the crazy neighbors...lived 21 years (mutt) and we spent a total of $0 on vet bills/medicine. Never even bothered to get tags...

For some people they are much more than a dog. Please don't offend the people. In some cases (actually most cases) they are bettern than Humans.

If you didn't spend any money on the dog that is good. But if the people are willing to pay for the vet bill don't tell them that it is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
whats crate training?

i was thinking of getting a small dog, but i really dont have time to train it--i'd prefer to go to a dog school or something for a few sessions

I cant type that much nor do i want to but to summarize what crate training is: A dog wont shit where it sleeps and dogs feel more secure sleeping in a crate because they are "den" animals.
You should never use the crate to punish a dog nor feed it in the crate. I could go on and on as I have been raising dogs all my life with a crate with very high success. Depending on the breed you can stop crate training at one to three or four years but you should still leave the crate in its location for the dog to use if it wants to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post

I agree with you about food, shelter and love but come on. For example, your dog can get heart worm from a mosquito bite and die a slow painful death because you wouldn't spend some money on pills. If that's the way you think then don't bother owning a dog.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #28
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

His name is Boner and I rescued him from the shelter about 3 years ago.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #29
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post

I agree with you about food, shelter and love but come on. For example, your dog can get heart worm from a mosquito bite and die a slow painful death because you wouldn't spend some money on pills. If that's the way you think then don't bother owning a dog.
I agree with that to certain extent, but if my dog is about to die, and I have a choice of spending $$$ which can save my dog, I don't care if I have to sell my 330i's rear door. I'll sell it off and save my damn dog. I rather get cold every year than remembering him dying cause I wouldn't spend couple hundreds on him.

I hate him, but I love him. Thats what love is. I had to leave him home for approximately. 50min today. I did NOT have fun at all drinking with my friends..
All I did was worrying about him. As soon as I got home, i was calling my dog's name and started cuddling with him. He is on my lap right now.
We gonna pass out. Good night fellas. Say good night "choco". (thats his name).

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #30
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
His name is Boner and I rescued him from the shelter about 3 years ago.

oh man what kinda dog is that? hella cute

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #31
taichimaster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

I also have a westie...great dog. One time he swallowed a peach pit and it required to be surgically taken out and that procedure cost me 3.5 grand!! I love him to death, so it was worth every penny. After that I got smarter though and got pet insurance for him

Name:  136729_1113002335.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  9.3 KB
Mods: V-Kool Tint | Hartge Front Lip | Blacklines | M-Sport Steering Wheel | 19" Linea Corse Z2S | KW Variant 2 | OEM Aluminum pedals | OEM Short Shift Knob | Rear Foglights Mod | Happy Robot Mod | Valentine 1 (hard-wired) | Zeckhausen CDV | LUX 2.0 | GruppeM Replica Intake | Remus PowerSound 2x76mm
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #32
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
oh man what kinda dog is that? hella cute
i don't know exactly, since he is a no record mutt from the shelter, but he def got a lot of pitbull in him, if I have to make an educated guess, I would say 75% american pit and 25% maybe boxer or some kind of terrier.

Contemplating wheather i should spend the $75 for DNA testing to find out exactly whats in him...awsome dog tho, smart as shit in his own way. Learns most commands in less than an hour, except for fetching. I remember when I first try to teach him to fetch, he did it for like 3 times and after that he just stopped and everytime I threw the ball he just looks at me with this look like he is saying "why would I get that, when you just gona throw it out again? fuck that..." lol

He is pretty typical of bulldog personality, when you want to play with him, he'll run you to the ground, but when you just want to chill and watch TV, he just flops down and pass out, not like other dogs that ALWAYS want to play and bother you.

Hes real snicky too, I use to lock him in my room when I go to school, and he would sneak onto my bed (he knows hes not suppose to) as soon as I leave and when he hears the garage door when i come back, he would hop back down onto his own bed and act like nothing happened. The only reason I found out was I found some dog hair on my sheets the day after I washed them and I did a "stakeout" I pretended to go to school and waited 10 mins outside my room and busted in and caught him redhanded... should of seen the face on him he was shitting bricks... lol
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #33
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
hey guys, is it a bad idea to put the dog's food tray near the pee-pad?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #34
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

no because dogs have a primal instinct to not mix their shit with their food.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #35
tommydogsdad
On My Third Drop Top BMW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Convertible

Dogs are expensive, but worth every penny. I have two rescue dogs, and this week along they cost me $585. I had the "dental cleaning" procedure done on both of them. It requires anesthesia. They put the dogs under and scale their teeth. Their grills are pearly white now!

Every dog should have this procedure done 3 times in their life. At 4 years, 8 years, and 12 years. It prevents tooth decay and diseases that originate from the mouth.
      06-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #36
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Nice dog.

Actually speaking of pets, I was thinking of getting a dog. Just got a townhouse and out of my apartment where I wasn't allowed to have pets. Would you guys recommend adopting from the ASPCA or buying one from a breeder? Some people tell me to adopt, others say go for a breeder so I dunno. Sorry to threadjack btw.
2009 Merc C-350: AMG package, loaded
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #37
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
no because dogs have a primal instinct to not mix their shit with their food.
Really? so you have to put the food tray as far away from the pee-pad as possible?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Really? so you have to put the food tray as far away from the pee-pad as possible?
He meant that you dont have to put them far away from each other. Dogs will know what food is and what a pad is so they're not going to piss/poop in their food/water bowl(s).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
no foo, Im saying NO its NOT a bad idea. Its instinct for them to NOT mix shit and food so don't worry hes not going to pee in his food bowl.

However that being said, try not to do it if you got the room, because its fucking disgusting and they don't really like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #40
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman4 View Post
Nice dog.

Actually speaking of pets, I was thinking of getting a dog. Just got a townhouse and out of my apartment where I wasn't allowed to have pets. Would you guys recommend adopting from the ASPCA or buying one from a breeder? Some people tell me to adopt, others say go for a breeder so I dunno. Sorry to threadjack btw.
It depends. If you buy from a breeder it's safe to assume that you're buying a puppy (some breeders sell grown up dogs too). Puppies require A LOT of patience and attention (dogs in general do as well). If you rescue or adopt a dop, you could get one that already has some training and/or gotten over its puppy-hood and behavior. Both of those factors will help a lot. Rescue organizations usually take the dogs in and foster them for a while to learn how they behave and react to different things as well as learn about its temperament. So if you want to adopt/rescue a dog, get one from a local rescue organization (they usually rescue dogs from shelters).

I guess the main benefit from buying a puppy is that you get to raise it as an infant. Also, good breeders usually provide some papers as well as written guarantees for their puppies.

I suggest you do some research and read up on the good and bad things about dogs as well as the specific breed that you're interested in.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #41
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
I just bought a black mini-schnauzer. I had a salt&pepper mini-sch before, this is my second schnauzer.

It is so damn CUTE!!!! hahaha I never thought I would like a black color dog, but I love it. Its funny when I can't really see him when he is under the shadow or when the lights are off.

anyways. Man. I never realized it costs so damn much to raise a damn dog.
I spent nearly $500 on dog supplies/hospital bills, and its been only 3 days since he got here. I keep thinking how many new golf clubs I could've gotten or I could've spent that $500 on a nice exhaust that I wanted. BAHHHH.

Not only that, I've been getting only 4 hours of sleep past few days because of the dog. Potty training is a BI*CH!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If you think that is bad, you have no idea. My dog has lymphoma and that is not cheap.

Get pet insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #42
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
If you think that is bad, you have no idea. My dog has lymphoma and that is not cheap.

Get pet insurance.
what breed of dog is this? I'll guess boxer.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #43
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
It depends. If you buy from a breeder it's safe to assume that you're buying a puppy (some breeders sell grown up dogs too). Puppies require A LOT of patience and attention (dogs in general do as well). If you rescue or adopt a dop, you could get one that already has some training and/or gotten over its puppy-hood and behavior. Both of those factors will help a lot. Rescue organizations usually take the dogs in and foster them for a while to learn how they behave and react to different things as well as learn about its temperament. So if you want to adopt/rescue a dog, get one from a local rescue organization (they usually rescue dogs from shelters).

I guess the main benefit from buying a puppy is that you get to raise it as an infant. Also, good breeders usually provide some papers as well as written guarantees for their puppies.

I suggest you do some research and read up on the good and bad things about dogs as well as the specific breed that you're interested in.
good post.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #44
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
what breed of dog is this? I'll guess boxer.
She's a Coonhound mix. Most likely Black and Tan and Bluetick. We adopted her from the pound so we can only guess.
Appreciate 0