BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Sport coats and blazers

Since BMW owners are a bit more refined than most, I was just wondering where you get your sportcoats and blazers. I'm relatively new to this and I'm looking for advice. So far, I've been checking out Jos A Bank, Banana Republic, and John Varvatos suits. Anyone have any experience with these? What about the cheaper places like Zara, H and M, and Express? They seem to have decent jackets too.

What about outlet stores? Does it make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post
Since BMW owners are a bit more refined than most, I was just wondering where you get your sportcoats and blazers. I'm relatively new to this and I'm looking for advice. So far, I've been checking out Jos A Bank, Banana Republic, and John Varvatos suits. Anyone have any experience with these? What about the cheaper places like Zara, H and M, and Express? They seem to have decent jackets too.

If you're just buying off the rack check out Brooks Brothers too.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post

i didnt know wearing hella flush t-shirts or a picture of a naked girl covering her breasts on a t-shirt is a bit more refined
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
i didnt know wearing hella flush t-shirts or a picture of a naked girl covering her breasts on a t-shirt is a bit more refined

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
LOL

But he has a point - most of the people you'll find around here (Bimmerpost OT) are assholes in their teens and 20's (i.e. me). If I had to generalize, the people you have in mind are the 5er and 7er crowd. With that out of the way, I like Banana Republic. For the price, the suit I picked up had a pretty modern fit and fit great once I had it tailored. Same goes for their sport coats (I picked up 2) and chinos.

EDIT: I get 50% off everything so that's part of the reason I get my stuff there

Last edited by TK-421; 07-29-2011 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Jos A. Banks? Oh lawd. I really like Brooks Brothers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Do NOT go to Zara. Zara's business model (and places like Forever21 and H&M) are built around the fashion industry's lack of copyright laws protecting designer's works. This is why there is so much pattern, design, and print copying seen in the clothing industry. Places like Zara emulate high-end clothing (which is why it looks nice) but with cheaper materials.

I recently bought a $200 blazer from Zara and wore it for the first time today. The fabric is already falling apart, the one of the buttons is cracked, and when I put it back in my closet the jacket was visibly wrinkly along the back, arms, etc.

Then I have a YSL blazer that I paid much more for, and the thing has been worn for many years. It looks mint to this day, and I do not take care of it. Just goes to show you should spend more on quality than on quantity.

I'm not sure if Banana Republic's blazers are good, but John Varvatos has fairly good quality.
      07-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

just go to neimans and say you need a few suits. can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

I just got myself a blazer. Hugo Boss in the sale, no brainer!

What do you guys wear under it? Shirts or tshirts?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
just go to neimans and say you need a few suits. can't go wrong.
+1 don't be cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

washboard ab's
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

Men should never wear t-shirts with a blazer. That's the California douchebag look and I don't recommend it.

It's about as dumb as when people used to wear ballcaps and/or sneakers with suits.

That being said, Banana Republic actually makes pretty nice & quality suits. I'd avoid Express suits/sport coats...while they might look nice at first, they fall apart/damage easily.

Avoid Jos A Bank, they over charge for the same quality you could get at a Syms type clothing store. That's why they always have the crazy discounts on a weekly basis. It makes them seem like they are offering incredible suits for dirt cheap, when they are actually offering average suits for above average price.

I would visit brooks bros or Hugo Boss or check out Nordstroms. These places will cost you more, but you'll get a much nicer product at the end.

However the biggest thing to looking like you have a quality suit is the fit. Oversized and/or undersized suits no matter how expensive will look cheap.

And don't forget the shoes and belt. You'd be surprised how a nice pair of shoes makes your suit stand out. Wear some old worn out shoes with a suit then wear some nice new ones and you'll see what I mean.

*I used to work at a corporate office for a mens suit company, so I know my suits*

Last edited by TMNT; 07-29-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post

washboard ab's

Like this?

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

FWIW, if you have a nordstrom near you they are having a sale right now until the 1st on new fall styles. I went in yesterday and bought some nice AG jeans that were on sale. They have select sports coats and suits on sale too. Other than that I would NOT cheap out on nice things like a sports coat. Joseph Banks has poor quality. Brooks brothers is nice, and has pretty good prices as well, but they have a limited selection on sports coats.

I personally use a professional clothier for most of my nicer clothing. You will pay a solid premium but IMO it is worth it. Most higher end clothiers use top of the line materials that are both durable, and maintain their looks for years. You can really tell the difference in comfort and I get complements often on the quality look and feel. If you cheap out you may be disappointed later down the line. That said I have a standard blue blazer from brooks brothers and it has been great.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

H&M makes some nice fitting cheap as dirt blazers that are great for blacking out in and waking up in and losing
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
H&M makes some nice fitting cheap as dirt blazers that are great for blacking out in and waking up in and losing
that sounds... refined
      07-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
that sounds... refined
For the price they are great. Most are also cut very slim. Now that I'm past my meathead days and don't have time to hit the gym obsessively I've dropped about 20lbs of muscle in the past 2 and a half years. I still have broad shoulders and a pretty slim waist so I have trouble finding stuff that fits well. The stuff that does fit well is usually obscenely expensive. So a $60 blazer that I don't care about girls spilling their drinks or losing works for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

hugo boss has some nice stuff for sure
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
hugo boss has some nice stuff for sure
But if a girl threw up on my hugo boss blazer I would have to skin her and wear her as a jacket and pants the next night.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I've had very good luck at Macy's in the past for getting sport coats and blazers. Now mind you, I haven't shopped at a more dedicated store like Brooks Brothers yet, but they tend to have very nice products in a variety of sizes, and if you keep on the lookout for coupons, you can get killer deals. Example: I got a $400 black velvet blazer for $200.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Off the rack stuff at Nordstroms is good, but M2M stuff is usually better.

Go Savile Row bespoke if you are a true player...

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0