BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #23
superman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver

I had a car for only my senior year, but it does come in handy. I would say have the car over motorcycle, what if you want to take girls out or your buddies? To me a motorcycle is for fun and a car for the soliud transportation. I would just enjoy your car and try to park it in places you know it may have less of a chance of getting damaged.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #24
cryptkeeper
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS300

At my school a car is almost mandatory. Not safe to walk around at night really (or in the day for that matter, I have some crazy stories). Anyways, depending on where you go to school will depend on if you need a car, like a number of people have already said. For me, it was mandatory though as nothing is close enough really without it being a serious hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #25
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

get a civic, dont bring a nice car to school
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #26
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper View Post
At my school a car is almost mandatory. Not safe to walk around at night really (or in the day for that matter, I have some crazy stories).
dude you best transfer
      12-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I went to a private school and my car (not a BMW but still nice) was fine the whole time. I went to grad school at Iowa and I NEVER used a car, it was all motorcycle from there out. A lot of people get scooters too (I wouldn't).

Just because your school doesn't offer parking you can usually find a spot to rent that is close to where you live, I rent a garage right now that is close to where I live because my apartment doesn't have indoor parking.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Depends on which school you're going to. I think having a car is a plus because you can just go wherever you want without being confined to local places. It really depends though because colleges like UC Davis dont allow freshmen to have cars.

Motorcyles are pretty cool but I wouldnt really get that over a car. G'luck in college though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #29
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

I'm still in college, and I drive a nice car, I've had modded/nice cars since I started school.

Theres no rule that says you cant have a nice car in college.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #30
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanHasBoost View Post
I'm still in college, and I drive a nice car, I've had modded/nice cars since I started school.

Well it is a little different if you 1. pay for the car yourself and 2. don't have daddies credit card to help you get ding's out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #31
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Actually.

See there's a little thing called budgeting. Most, and if you want to get technical, 91% of people do not know or cannot budget effectively.

In response to your 'bullshit comments'; I pay for my 335 and my insurance solely with my own money. I pay them and I don't have my parents chipping in neither have I ever asked them to cover my payments.

I'm 22 now, and I'm doing a dual degree in school; Business Admin and Management Info Systems. Ever since I've started college I've paid for school and tuition, all of my books, clothes, gas, etc etc, you name it and since I turned 18 and hit college I've never asked my parents for a dime. I've also never had to sell anything of mine to make money or make ends meet. My parents have also never paid for my school, I'm not on any loans, or scholarships, or anything. I have my own credit cards, and I pay my own bills.

The only thing I can say that I dont pay for is a mortgage or rent.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For some schools they dont allow freshmen to have cars. They just simply wont sell you a parking permit which you need to park your car on campus.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually.

See there's a little thing called budgeting. Most, and if you want to get technical, 91% of people do not know or cannot budget effectively.

In response to your 'bullshit comments'; I pay for my 335 and my insurance solely with my own money. I pay them and I don't have my parents chipping in neither have I ever asked them to cover my payments.

I'm 22 now, and I'm doing a dual degree in school; Business Admin and Management Info Systems. Ever since I've started college I've paid for school and tuition, all of my books, clothes, gas, etc etc, you name it and since I turned 18 and hit college I've never asked my parents for a dime. I've also never had to sell anything of mine to make money or make ends meet. My parents have also never paid for my school, I'm not on any loans, or scholarships, or anything. I have my own credit cards, and I pay my own bills.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #34
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post

Thanks man, you've always got some people that try to push their nose in your bidness and talk smack, but you know what they say!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #35
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

I'm 21 and leasing my 335 cuz I sold my magazine project WRX. So many haters around me cuz I'm young with a bmw. I also sold my soul when I was 18 to uncle sam, so college is free.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #36
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Damn, I wish I sold my soul so I didnt have to pay my way through school, I see plenty of kids that have their education paid for and waste it. I'm jealous of them...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #37
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Quote:
Damn, I wish I sold my soul so I didnt have to pay my way through school, I see plenty of kids that have their education paid for and waste it. I'm jealous of them...
Its good and bad, but I don't own my self. They say jump, I say how high for the next few years. But like most of us youngins with BMWs (our own), I'm smart with money. I'll slowly plan my own company I hope when I'm out.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #38
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks man, you've always got some people that try to push their nose in your bidness and talk smack, but you know what they say!
Just saying your views might be mis aligned. Did you inherit a lot of money or something? Sell drugs?

I paid my way through college, worked the whole time, even got half tuition scholorship and I still was nowhere near being able to pay an extra $300+ a month for a new car (let alone a bunch of nice/modded cars). Not to be an a$$ or anything but I see a ton of people driving nice cars whose parents pay for everything and about zero who have to pay themselves (unless they are out of college). Please enlighten me, I might get a second job.

Much respect to Legacy cause I have a friend who did the military route and they jerked him around pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #39
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

Quote:
Actually.

Interesting. College is expensive not to mention bimmer payments. What do you do?

PS. I paid for my college too but I had an old camry back then.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #40
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Just saying your views might be mis aligned. Did you inherit a lot of money or something? Sell drugs?

I paid my way through college, worked the whole time, even got half tuition scholorship and I still was nowhere near being able to pay an extra $300+ a month for a new car (let alone a bunch of nice/modded cars). Not to be an a$$ or anything but I see a ton of people driving nice cars whose parents pay for everything and about zero who have to pay themselves (unless they are out of college). Please enlighten me, I might get a second job.

Much respect to Legacy cause I have a friend who did the military route and they jerked him around pretty bad.
My views? -- Right now I can't be burdened with a house payment, because I would never be able to afford to upkeep a house, and if I go the roomate route I would have to deal with that and I'd rather not. I didnt inherit anything, no one other than my parents have given me a dime in my entire lifetime and they dont contribute to my lifestyle or my car/credit/bills. Everything I have I've worked hard for. My parents gave me everything I wanted from 0-18 years of age. As I hit 18, I needed to step up.

I pay my way through college, I work for a engineering firm that sells lidar and laser technology. We essentially sell equipment that are priced from a brand new bmw up to an enzo. I do their marketing, web and graphic design. I get my stuff publised in magazines and periodicals; and I am UNDERPAID.

My parents put a roof over my head and provide food when I eat at home. They provide support and guidance as well. Its sad sometimes to see how people can misconceive someone in their early 20's that drives a $45k car can't do so on his or her own. But that's just how society is, and I don't blame or point fingers at you for that.

I see it all the time, kids driving these fancy cars, or at the track pulling up in their porsches and heavily modded supras and shit. It makes me feel a bit jealous. Then I look and see how much I've worked and how hard I've worked to get to where I'm at and I still have a loooooong way to go.

My motto is, enjoy it now and live life for now, because tomorrow a new opportunity awaits, or there might be none.

Quote:
Interesting. College is expensive not to mention bimmer payments. What do you do?

PS. I paid for my college too but I had an old camry back then.
Marketing & Advertising.

You probably run across things I've done in print. I'm not a boastful or that type of person that will show off with what I can or can't do.

I still have my first car I drove when I started school.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #41
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
More power to you. Let me change my statement. Most people don't have the opportunity to do work that pays as much as you do through college.

I understand about people hating, I am only 23 and I live in a college town so driving a new Z4 gets me the same comments.

I do stick by the fact that your views might be mis aligned though, it is hard enough to get a decent paying job while in college, it doesn't have anything to do with budgeting if you start with less money than is needed.

ps. If you are making such good money doing marketing and advertising, why the degrees in info systems and business admin? Those are difficult to get good paying jobs with.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #42
cryptkeeper
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_328 View Post
dude you best transfer
lol, too late. I graduate in 10 weeks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #43
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Heh, I commuted to school 80 miles / day (round trip), and my car had > 150k on the clock. What ever happened to college kids being poor?

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #44
snoopy
Private
Rep
Drives: 350z touring

nope parents pay for everything for me. Thats another plus for the motorcycle. Looking at an r6 for about 10k vs. switchin to a 335i which is +20k?, I'm sure my parents would appreciate the extra money put back into their pockets.

But once college starts i think I want to start working behind my parent's back, they want me to put my studies in front of everything and said i can work all i want once I'm out of college, but while I'm in college they'll foot the bill.

Im pretty lucky
Appreciate 0