BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #67
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

On a more serious note...it looks like some of the RS4 fanboys on the Audi forums still cannot believe that the M3 was faster on the track than their beloved RS4. How shocking!

12-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #68
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
On a more serious note...it looks like some of the RS4 fanboys on the Audi forums still cannot believe that the M3 was faster on the track than their beloved RS4. How shocking!

What were they expecting? This was boldly predicted here well before the M3 came out. Did you guys see the RS4 understeer into the weeds in the video?

The RS4 can't even beat the CL63 around a track....how sad is that?
      12-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #69
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Not that sad, really. The Mercedes boys have had a couple more years to perfect their car, so it's hardly surprising. To be honest, though, half a second around that track is hardly conclusive. I figure that with a bit more practice in the Audi, the Stig could have improved on his lap time by compensating for the understeer more than he could have in the Merc, which, although an awesome car, is a bit too much of an over powered brute.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #70
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
What were they expecting? This was boldly predicted here well before the M3 came out. Did you guys see the RS4 understeer into the weeds in the video?

The RS4 can't even beat the CL63 around a track....how sad is that?
I know...
I don't like it when people can't give a little credit to the competition.
The M3 has always been an icon...i really don't know what they were expecting.
Sad.

On the other hand...the MB guys are not surprised at all that the C63 lost at the track. They just weren't expecting THAT MUCH of a beating....
      12-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #71
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Not that sad, really. The Mercedes boys have had a couple more years to perfect their car, so it's hardly surprising. To be honest, though, half a second around that track is hardly conclusive. I figure that with a bit more practice in the Audi, the Stig could have improved on his lap time by compensating for the understeer more than he could have in the Merc, which, although an awesome car, is a bit too much of an over powered brute.
I'm sure the Stig has plenty of practice before the shoot. It's not the first time he drove the RS4 and not his first time on that track.
The Stig does numerous laps before the real deal.

BTW, in the Sport Auto and EVO test, the M3 beat the C63 again by 3-4 seconds difference. So yes, I think it's pretty conclusive.
      12-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #72
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
This kind of mid-term fall-out is a concern of mine as well.

What generation SMG did you have?
SMG II in the E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #73
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
What a waste of a M car.... I have never even met a M car owner who won't at least lie to say that he has made it out on the racetrack.
Well a lot of M's are wasted then.. Like I said its probably 1 out of 100 cars hits the track. And a drag strip does not count as track time.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #74
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Well a lot of M's are wasted then.. Like I said its probably 1 out of 100 cars hits the track. And a drag strip does not count as track time.

Is this based on your scientific poll or are you just making stuff up to justify that you bought a nicely tuned car only to waste it on the parking lots at racetracks.

Assuming you don't have any statistical samples to back up your assertion, the morale of the story is the M car is balanced and tuned from the factory.

Sell your E46 M3 SMG2 and trade it in for a nice 328i 6MT. Leave the M cars for enthusiasts.
      12-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #75
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
anyone care to explain cock o meter?
      12-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #76
JizJizJiz
Elitist prick
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Agreed. Although to be honest, I'd personally never take my cars to the track . I can't drive on the streets as is.
      12-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #77
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is this based on your scientific poll or are you just making stuff up to justify that you bought a nicely tuned car only to waste it on the parking lots at racetracks.

Assuming you don't have any statistical samples to back up your assertion, the morale of the story is the M car is balanced and tuned from the factory.

Sell your E46 M3 SMG2 and trade it in for a nice 328i 6MT. Leave the M cars for enthusiasts.
I did.. My finely tuned car spent the last few months that I had it in the shop trying to get SMG to work. I got fed up and leased a 328i until the new M comes out.

And just to piss you off I am going to get another one. Street cars are just plain horrible for the track. Go to the M3 forum and do a search on how many owners track their cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #78
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Most M3 drivers are younger under 30.. So he calls the younger folks cocks since apparently we are cocky to have an expensive car. If you look around most M3 owners are under 30 and a large portion are cocks who cant respect others who never want to take the car on the track.

I also consider myself an M enthusiast my family has had ever 3 series M car since the E30 including 2 E46 M3's. My father also used to have a track prepped E30 M3. Keep racing to track prepped cars not to fast street cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #79
ynotony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
"Cock" as they use it has no direct synonym in the states, but is pretty well defined with the following words:

tool, idiot, loser, prick, ass, yuppie, poser.... anyone care to add to this list?

That pretty much sums up most modern M3 owners. And everyone else that buys one has to unfortunately live with that image. Same thing applies to most 3-series owners in general because it is the cheap entry level BMW, but it is a small price to pay I feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #80
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Most M3 drivers are younger under 30.. So he calls the younger folks cocks since apparently we are cocky to have an expensive car. If you look around most M3 owners are under 30 and a large portion are cocks who cant respect others who never want to take the car on the track.
Actually, not quite. It's because BMW drivers in general are considered to be a certain breed, particularly in the UK. You know, latest blue tooth headset, expensive (but completely out of place!) sunglasses, trying to hard to look cool and generally assuming they own the road. The sad fact is that there are a lot of cocks (read: wankers) out there who think they are something special just because the drive a Beemer...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #81
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And just to piss you off I am going to get another one. Street cars are just plain horrible for the track. Go to the M3 forum and do a search on how many owners track their cars. http://www.m3forum.com/

And track cars are terrible for the street What's your point?

Other than Porsche, no other company makes a car that is at home on both the track and the street.

It is fine to debate whether M owners track their car or not but neither one of us has the data to firm up a real number but your claims of 1 / 100 are absurd.

Just admit the M3 is a great all-round package that is great for street and occasional track use. Much better than the C63 or the RS4.
      12-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #82
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Actually, not quite. It's because BMW drivers in general are considered to be a certain breed, particularly in the UK. You know, latest blue tooth headset, expensive (but completely out of place!) sunglasses, trying to hard to look cool and generally assuming they own the road. The sad fact is that there are a lot of cocks (read: wankers) out there who think they are something special just because the drive a Beemer...
There are similar interpretations here, but maybe not to the same extent. I regularly get shit from people for buying and driving a new BMW (never mind that it's only a 325). Some of my friends keep on telling me that the only correlation between SAT scores and anything real is the car you drive. When I lived in California, it wasn't as much of an issue since BMWs are all over the place there to begin with. That actually goes with the so-called Californian image some people cherish in their small heads outside of California, that Californians are a bunch of superficial exercise-obsessed silicon enhanced airheads who drive BMWs--as if that doesn’t happen anywhere else. I just say "whatever" to my friends, and tell them they don't know anything about a well-engineered product with a well-tuned chassis that comes with excellent warranty. Most of them are engineers, so that shuts them up...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #83
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
There are similar interpretations here, but maybe not to the same extent. I regularly get shit from people for buying and driving a new BMW (never mind that it's only a 325). Some of my friends keep on telling me that the only correlation between SAT scores and anything real is the car you drive. When I lived in California, it wasn't as much of an issue since BMWs are all over the place there to begin with. That actually goes with the so-called Californian image some people cherish in their small heads outside of California, that Californians are a bunch of superficial exercise-obsessed silicon enhanced airheads who drive BMWs--as if that doesn’t happen anywhere else. I just say "whatever" to my friends, and tell them they don't know anything about a well-engineered product with a well-tuned chassis that comes with excellent warranty. Most of them are engineers, so that shuts them up...
Well, to tell you the truth at least in Miami, we see the same thing. 3 series coupes are mostly driven by "cocks" and they sell them so fast you won't even believe it. It's a really popular car. Many people buy them just because they want to drive a BMW (specially black). But as someone says, it's a price we have to pay. At least the M3 is "more exclusive" and this "cocks" just stick with the normal coupe.

That's one good thing about the RS4. It's a much more "low profile" car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #84
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I was hellbent on getting the C63 when my lease expires next year but I'm starting to give the M3 a more open-minded look.

I'm the kind of guy who likes a fast car but handling is important as well. The M3 really comes off as balanced.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #85
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
And track cars are terrible for the street What's your point?

Other than Porsche, no other company makes a car that is at home on both the track and the street.

It is fine to debate whether M owners track their car or not but neither one of us has the data to firm up a real number but your claims of 1 / 100 are absurd.

Just admit the M3 is a great all-round package that is great for street and occasional track use. Much better than the C63 or the RS4.
I never said it wasnt.. you called me a name saying I wasnt an enthusiast for taking my M car on the track. Why cant I enjoy it everyday on the road?

This little quarrel is over no more needs to be said. I will do what I want to do with my car and you do what you want..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #86
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:

I also consider myself an M enthusiast my family has had ever 3 series M car since the E30 including 2 E46 M3's. My father also used to have a track prepped E30 M3. Keep racing to track prepped cars not to fast street cars.

Ooooo, thanks for the explanation.
      12-25-2007, 02:29 AM   #87
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony View Post
"Cock" as they use it has no direct synonym in the states, but is pretty well defined with the following words:

tool, idiot, loser, prick, ass, yuppie, poser.... anyone care to add to this list?

That pretty much sums up most modern M3 owners. And everyone else that buys one has to unfortunately live with that image. Same thing applies to most 3-series owners in general because it is the cheap entry level BMW, but it is a small price to pay I feel.
Holy massive generalizations Batman.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #88
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Holy massive generalizations Batman.
All those female 3 series drivers must be happy to know they are COCKS, and also confused as that word has a TOTALLY DIFFERENT MEANING IN THE U.S. /sarcasm.
Appreciate 0