BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Custom titanium exhaust?

I am buying M3 soon and one seller is selling his car with custom titanium exhaust with xpipe. Can someone chime in to explain what this setup exactly?

He claims that it is ACM exhaust mod with secondary cat delete and the car has SES light from this setup. I thought buy deleting just secondary cats it wont trigger SES?! I think he is not sure what he has exactly.

looking for some feedback from anyone who had done such setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

"ACM exhaust mod" is just modified oem mufflers.. Just get it inspected by a BMW dealer. It's so worth it. Otherwise buy a stock car.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Also, stock exhaust is stainless not titanium. Seller is either BS'ing you or has no idea what he's talking about.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
I am buying M3 soon and one seller is selling his car with custom titanium exhaust with xpipe. Can someone chime in to explain what this setup exactly?

He claims that it is ACM exhaust mod with secondary cat delete and the car has SES light from this setup. I thought buy deleting just secondary cats it wont trigger SES?! I think he is not sure what he has exactly.

looking for some feedback from anyone who had done such setup.
Everything you said here is contradictory. ACM mod is a hacked up OEM muffler. 2nd cat delete also would not trigger the CEL. Nothing you mentioned is titanium.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Everything you said here is contradictory. ACM mod is a hacked up OEM muffler. 2nd cat delete also would not trigger the CEL. Nothing you mentioned is titanium.
I agree with you man...all what I mentioned doesn't make sense but thats how seller described it.

I have seen couple of posts mentioning custom titanium exhaust? what is this exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you man...all what I mentioned doesn't make sense but thats how seller described it.

I have seen couple of posts mentioning custom titanium exhaust? what is this exactly?

self-explanatory... It's prob a custom titanium exhaust..

Why not just grill the seller rather than post the questions here? Put a little fire under him/her and maybe you'll get some "better" answers.. Esp when you're gonna give them a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
self-explanatory... It's prob a custom titanium exhaust..

Why not just grill the seller rather than post the questions here? Put a little fire under him/her and maybe you'll get some "better" answers.. Esp when you're gonna give them a lot of money.
The seller himself doesn't know what he is talking about OR possibly he is making me sound stupid as if I don't in exhaust enough. I know what he said doesn't make sense and thats why I was looking for opinions
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The seller himself doesn't know what he is talking about OR possibly he is making me sound stupid as if I don't in exhaust enough. I know what he said doesn't make sense and thats why I was looking for opinions

Yes, but why not ask him.. Confront/Push/Challenge what he/she is telling you. This makes you sound educated also just in case he's trying to see if he can pull the wool over your eyes. Let him know that he's wrong and that you know what you're looking at. GL!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
I doubt it's a "custom" titanium exhaust. It's cheaper to go buy a titanium exhaust already made then try to bend / weld titanium to fabricate a custom exhaust.
      06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
I doubt it's a "custom" titanium exhaust. It's cheaper to go buy a titanium exhaust already made then try to bend / weld titanium to fabricate a custom exhaust.
totally agree man..the seller seems either he doesn't know what he has on his car or he is playing a game on me. Custom exhaust is expensive to build, it is probably cheaper to buy it off the shelf.

When I put him on fire and told him removing secondary cats wont trigger CEL and my sources are bimmerpost forum and some local INDY shops. He claimed that they don't know what they are talking about and thats incorrect lol.

Anyways I lost interest buying his car. If someone doesn't know what he has on his car then probably he didn't take car of his car well enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Post up that car here. Let's see if they're a forum member ha!
Have him send you some pictures. I agree with the other posters. ACM mod and stock muffler IS NOT Ti. You can tell by the weight as well. The stock exhaust is a porker.
The car will trigger CEL or at a minimum store error codes if no cats are present.

We just took off my stock muffler today. There are only 2 sets of O2's. One pre cat and one post cat at each header outlet.
Attached Images

Last edited by BzsBimmer; 06-12-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Post up that car here. Let's see if they're a forum member ha!
Have him send you some pictures. I agree with the other posters. ACM mod and stock muffler IS NOT Ti. You can tell by the weight as well. The stock exhaust is a porker.
The car will trigger CEL or at a minimum store error codes if no cats are present.

We just took off my stock muffler today. There are only 2 sets of O2's. One pre cat and one post cat at each header outlet.
Is the pipe between primary cat to secondary cat to muffler, one pipe? I mean if someone wants to remove secondary cat with rest of axle to muffler, does he need to remove primary cats or it is separate pipes?

The seller claims that he is not a forum member, even though he said he had to check with forum many times when he installed the "titanium exhaust"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I also asked him for more pictures from underneath, he said and I quote, I don't have time for this BS. He also refused to take a video clip of exhaust sound. He said there is no drone and sound is deep but not loud. I really doubt that this is true because if you remove the cats the car will be louder and more chance for drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Meh... if he REALLY wants to sell it and is a legit seller, he'd do what you ask. It's not like you're asking for anything insane. I'd pass. Who knows what else he's not telling you that is more detrimental in the long run such as engine issues, maintenance f-ups etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Pass on this deal. Seller seems like a liar and a fraud. And yes, the whole x pipe from the exhaust manifod all the way to the muffler is one piece. Then the muffler is another piece. So the stock exhaust is really only 2 large and heavy pieces. But you can still cut and weld the x pipe back together, for example to delete the cats. So it's not necessary to get a whole new x pipe just to delete the cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Quote:
I also asked him for more pictures from underneath, he said and I quote, I don't have time for this BS. He also refused to take a video clip of exhaust sound. He said there is no drone and sound is deep but not loud. I really doubt that this is true because if you remove the cats the car will be louder and more chance for drone.
No time?

I'd tell him to go piss up a rope, then.

Caveat Emptor...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
No time?

I'd tell him to go piss up a rope, then.

Caveat Emptor...
hahaha...unfortunately I was dealing with a kid. His car apparently has many problems and he was trying to hide them but he didn't succeed
Appreciate 0