BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Diffetential oil not changed at 30k service

I just had my 30k service done and all that was done was an oil change. Shouldn\'t the differential and (manual) transmission fluids have been replaced as well? My service advisor said that they are done every 3rd service but most people here seem to be getting it done at 30k.
Does anyone have something that I can print out and show the dealership? I didn\'t find anything in a search and my owners manual doesn\'t get into specifics on intervals.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

He's wrong unless something has changed. Service manual says every other service. I had mine changed at 30k, but they also told me "it didn't have to be done". So I told them that isn't what the manual states and I want to be informed if they weren't going to do it...they ended up doing it. Make sure you call BMWUSA and complain about the fact that dealers don't know how to service one of their marquee cars - so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
He's wrong unless something has changed. Service manual says every other service. I had mine changed at 30k, but they also told me "it didn't have to be done". So I told them that isn't what the manual states and I want to be informed if they weren't going to do it...they ended up doing it. Make sure you call BMWUSA and complain about the fact that dealers don't know how to service one of their marquee cars - so annoying.
He actually showed me a July bulletin that showed every 3rd oil change. Perhaps BMW is cheeping out on the free service.
I did call BMW USA and they deferred me back to the dealer. Useless..
What year is your car? My service booklet says nothing about differential oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
He actually showed me a July bulletin that showed every 3rd oil change. Perhaps BMW is cheeping out on the free service.
I did call BMW USA and they deferred me back to the dealer. Useless..
What year is your car? My service booklet says nothing about differential oil.
2009, but 9/08 build date.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

just doped my 09 manual with 30k on it and was told they where going to do my diff and motor oil.They say that my transmission oil after the 1200 mile service was life time is this true???

Last edited by JonnyBoost; 07-22-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

^hell no.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

man what the hell the dealer dose not wanna do the tranny or the diff oil and i have 30k on the car!?!?! i even called bmw north America and there no help. Is this right what should i do???

*this is what the book says
 M3 with standard transmission: At every 3rd
oil change:
– Change the transmission fluid and clean the
oil filter (NOTE: this does not apply to the
optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission.)
– Change the differential fluid.
*6 speed
this would be the 3rd oil change
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I just had my 30k service done and all that was done was an oil change. Shouldn\'t the differential and (manual) transmission fluids have been replaced as well? My service advisor said that they are done every 3rd service but most people here seem to be getting it done at 30k.
Does anyone have something that I can print out and show the dealership? I didn\'t find anything in a search and my owners manual doesn\'t get into specifics on intervals.
i had mine changed at my 30000 mile service and i reminded the dealership they had changed it earlier becasue of a noise issue and they said its due and we will change.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
MPI_Jack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i , '02 530i(turbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoost View Post
man what the hell the dealer dose not wanna do the tranny or the diff oil and i have 30k on the car!?!?! i even called bmw north America and there no help. Is this right what should i do???

*this is what the book says
 M3 with standard transmission: At every 3rd
oil change:
– Change the transmission fluid and clean the
oil filter (NOTE: this does not apply to the
optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission.)
– Change the differential fluid.
*6 speed
this would be the 3rd oil change

The book is correct and how it is done by us at the dealer I work for. BMW does not count your run in service as the first oil change though, take that into account when counting oil changes. Also the air filter gets changed at that 3rd oil service!
MPI DME Flash - K&N drop in - MPI Chargepipe - Oil T-stat valve - ETS 5" I/C - N54tuning 3.5" downpipe - catless mid section - Dinan 135i rear exhaust - Apex ARC8 18x9/10(255/295 tires) - H&R Sports - Bilstein B6's - F3x M Performance brakes
'02 E39 530i 624whp/558ft-lbs @23psi
Appreciate 0