BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #45
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuarma View Post
i just need to interject for a moment..daddy bought you a 335i, he will only take 2 or 3 paychecks from you just to teach you a lesson and i'm sure he will cover the rest.
He won't take any and he will cover it all. I can almost guarantee it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #46
AS335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, f30 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks guys, I'm trying to see this as a learning experience but shit sucks right now. I'm beating myself up because I ruined my chances of getting this awesome car and acted like an idiot. I'm sure this will never happen again down the road if I get another car like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter124 View Post
It's not an assumption, it is simply common sense parenting that nobody seems to possess anymore.

Everybody knows kids are terrible drivers, otherwise their insurance rates wouldn't be insanely high, so a normal parent would start a child out in something with very little power and go from there once the child gets some experience under their belt. THAT is how a good parent would do it.

For instance, on my old 350z forum a kid got a new 350z for his 16th birthday, I did the same thing (called his parents idiots as well) and guess what, he totaled it two weeks after that, and his parents BOUGHT HIM ANOTHER ONE! That is epic stupidity. But he did learn his lesson and as far as I know, hasn't wrecked the 2nd one.

Perhaps 'idiot' was a strong word, but if he was a smart parent, he would have gotten you a 328, NOT a 335. There is absolutely no reason for somebody your age to be in a 335 vs a 328.

But like others have said, you admitted fault, nobody was hurt, and you do have a good head on your shoulders. Now learn and move on.
I had two cars before I got the 335, a 2001 Toyota Camry and a 2002 Acura CL Type S. I sold the Camry to get the CL Type S and the CL got totaled when some dumbass drunk ran a red and hit my dad. So it wasn't my first car, I got about a year an a half of experience with cars with less power, which obviously wasn't enough. Also, the 335 wasn't fully mine, I was sharing it with my dad. He would drive it here and there and would always tell me it wasn't going to be mine until I earned it. There go my chances.

And I'm positive I'll have to use my paychecks for the tickets at least, I don't want my dad to pay for them since I did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #47
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
He won't take any and he will cover it all. I can almost guarantee it.
damn. must be nice to have a rich family
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #48
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS335i View Post
Thanks guys, I'm trying to see this as a learning experience but shit sucks right now. I'm beating myself up because I ruined my chances of getting this awesome car and acted like an idiot. I'm sure this will never happen again down the road if I get another car like this.

I had two cars before I got the 335, a 2001 Toyota Camry and a 2002 Acura CL Type S. I sold the Camry to get the CL Type S and the CL got totaled when some dumbass drunk ran a red and hit my dad. So it wasn't my first car, I got about a year an a half of experience with cars with less power, which obviously wasn't enough. Also, the 335 wasn't fully mine, I was sharing it with my dad. He would drive it here and there and would always tell me it wasn't going to be mine until I earned it. There go my chances.

And I'm positive I'll have to use my paychecks for the tickets at least, I don't want my dad to pay for them since I did it.
Alright, that sounds much more reasonable. I'm just imagining a 16 year old kid with a 335i I guess.

That sucks you got ticketed.

Trust me, I think everyone has done stupid things, myself included. It happens, and consider yourself lucky. Yeah the tickets suck, yeah the damages suck, but it could be a lot worse as I am sure you already know.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #49
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Another thing you guys who are bashing his parents need to take into account. (besides the fact YOU DON"T KNOW HIM OR HIS PARENTS) is that its not like he is learning to drive in a 335i. At 17 I had 3-4 year of driving experience (started learning at 14 and driving full time at 15). Its not the power of the car that gets you in trouble it's just stupid decisions. Its when you get into the "I'm going to drive crazy" mode that bad shit happens. For example, the only accident i've had is when i was 15 me and a couple of friend were racing across town (had a tahoe at the time) pulled up to a stop sign, slowed down, and floored it once i thought no-one was coming. Milisecond later a moped comes around a parked car and glances off the front of my truck. Really opened my eyes and the only real accident i've had. Only thing that has happened with my 335i was one night I was driving around after getting into a fight with a girl, trying to get my mind off of things. Was raining and i was driving a road i didn't know. Going around a turn (not that fast) but the turn was alot tighter than I could see, understeered because of the rain and rand off the grassy side of the road (kind of into a feild). Luckily pulled it right back on the road and all it did was dent the front bottom of my bumper a little bit. Fact is its not the fact that he has a 335i that cause this. Shit he could've done it in his grandmother camry (seen it happen). Its just so annoying being 18 and on this board and listening to every teenager that has a 335i get bashed to kingdom come and back about their car. Just a wild guess, but if you could've had a 335i as a teen i'm pretty sure you'd take it.

End of my rant for the night

:readtheth read:

Man i love the cool smilies
      07-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #50
AS335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, f30 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Alright, that sounds much more reasonable. I'm just imagining a 16 year old kid with a 335i I guess.

That sucks you got ticketed.

Trust me, I think everyone has done stupid things, myself included. It happens, and consider yourself lucky. Yeah the tickets suck, yeah the damages suck, but it could be a lot worse as I am sure you already know.
Yeah, I've been driving since I was 15 so its not like my first car, I know where your coming from. Thats true, its just I look back now at what happened and I could of saved all that money and could of kept driving if I had only made one simple choice of turning my traction control on, it really gets to me. Oh well, this is going to be one of my last mistakes in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Another thing you guys who are bashing his parents need to take into account. (besides the fact YOU DON"T KNOW HIM OR HIS PARENTS) is that its not like he is learning to drive in a 335i. At 17 I had 3-4 year of driving experience (started learning at 14 and driving full time at 15). Its not the power of the car that gets you in trouble it's just stupid decisions. Its when you get into the "I'm going to drive crazy" mode that bad shit happens. For example, the only accident i've had is when i was 15 me and a couple of friend were racing across town (had a tahoe at the time) pulled up to a stop sign, slowed down, and floored it once i thought no-one was coming. Milisecond later a moped comes around a parked car and glances off the front of my truck. Really opened my eyes and the only real accident i've had. Only thing that has happened with my 335i was one night I was driving around after getting into a fight with a girl, trying to get my mind off of things. Was raining and i was driving a road i didn't know. Going around a turn (not that fast) but the turn was alot tighter than I could see, understeered because of the rain and rand off the grassy side of the road (kind of into a feild). Luckily pulled it right back on the road and all it did was dent the front bottom of my bumper a little bit. Fact is its not the fact that he has a 335i that cause this. Shit he could've done it in his grandmother camry (seen it happen). Its just so annoying being 18 and on this board and listening to every teenager that has a 335i get bashed to kingdom come and back about their car. Just a wild guess, but if you could've had a 335i as a teen i'm pretty sure you'd take it.

End of my rant for the night

:readtheth read:

Man i love the cool smilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkM View Post
areh.
Nice! There seems to be quite a few of us here
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #51
py335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E90 335i

i would give you so much shit right now but im glad you learned your lesson. and also without anyone getting hurt. you're a fucking retard for even trying to justify yourself by saying you dont do an all-out drift while you're in a neighborhood and just give it a little gas and trying to let the back slide out a bit. when you're in a neighborhood you shouldnt be doing ANY of that. kids could be playing outside and just cuz you dont see any doesnt mean that they're not playing basketball outside and a ball runs onto the road and the child goes chasing after it. if it was an empty parking lot than yeah it may not be as safe as a track, but you're not as likely to hurt someone.

im glad you learned your lesson. but NEVER drive aggressively in places like neighborhoods ever again.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #52
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

You are less of a dumbass now!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #53
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
edit, nothing wrong with drifting in a parking lot.... as long as it doesn't piss off the wrong people, this is how you learn the extremes of your car, in a controlled environment. (yes I know a track is better...but that's not always available)
Unless it is a sanctioned event with it's own liability insurance coverage, you all keep your assess out of any parking lots I own.

There is still a liability concern... You could wrap your car around a light pole in my parking lot and your parents could still sue me.

Lots of parking lots in my hometown actually chain-up the entrances after hours to keep things like this from happening. Too many rednecks with big trucks down that way...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #54
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Unless it is a sanctioned event with it's own liability insurance coverage, you all keep your assess out of any parking lots I own.

There is still a liability concern... You could wrap your car around a light pole in my parking lot and your parents could still sue me.

Lots of parking lots in my hometown actually chain-up the entrances after hours to keep things like this from happening. Too many rednecks with big trucks down that way...

good point Feyd, guess I never thought about the liability aspect.... people are too damn sue happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #55
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I blame your parents for stupid enough to put a teenager into a 300hp rear wheel vehicle.

Most teenagers are not mature enough to control themselves. I am quite lucky my first car was 91hp and RWD. I learned what not to do with much less consequence. At least you know you were at fault and learned from it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #56
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Look at me I'm an attention whore!
      07-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #57
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Looks like you learning something from all this, OP. Hopefully the lesson sticks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #58
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

It's people like you that ruin it for the rest of us.
-Speed limits are lower than they can be to protect us from idiots like you.
-Insurance rates are higher to cover the accidents caused by idiots like you (ok, fraud also makes insurance expensive)
-Many people have been injured/killed by idiots like you. How do you think your life would be at this time if a little girl was walking along the sidewalk you jumped?
-Responsible teenagers get a bad rap because of idiots like you.
-Responsible parents look like fools because of idiot children, like you.

I hope you take this lesson and apply it to your entire life, not just when it comes to driving. All of your actions affect other people. Be mindful of that. As was said before, if you really want to run the car hard, go to a track.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #59
JLausch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

We all screw up, its part of life, you learn from your mistakes, luckily it wasn't something worse and you or others weren't hurt. When i was 17 and borrowing my dads Audi TT (about a year old at the time in 2002) i was hauling ass down empty road in the winter and hit a slick patch on a light bend (some dbag was pumping his basement or something out onto the road and it froze, but had i been going the speed limit i could have controlled it) and that cars dynamics (very short wheelbase and interesting handling), combined with my driving skill, which albeit not horrible, i was not experienced none the less, caused me to panic and when i saw a truck coming it stopped trying to correct and ditched it into a field when i saw an opening between 2 telephone poles. What i didn't realize was that there was a 5 foot drop into said field.... ugh.... makes me cringe thinking about it. I hit so hard that passenger side airbag deployed from the impact into the field, I shoved the LF wheel about a foot into the fender well, chipped 3 of the 4 rims, popped the bead on all 4 tires (but they were fine surprisingly lol) and spun around about 5 times over a distance of about 500 feet as. All in all no cosmetic damage other than the rims and front bumper lip being ripped off, but the total repairs almost hit 20k.... I had a hell of ride home when i called my Dad, but luckily he was happy i was not dead and decided not to kill me himself, but i now think twice before i act like a twat when driving. I was so far off the road that even with the interior lights on (they can't be shut off for x amount of time after an airbag deploys and the 4 ways going, the 3 cops that drove by either didn't see me or didn't think anything of it because i was so far from the road and i didn't get ticketed.... anyway, thats the short version (believe it or not lol). Glad your OK and the damage wasn't worse, we all screw up, thats part of human nature.

I never did anything like that in areas with people around, except for low speed drifting in the snow lol, but it doesn't make it really any better, but even though i thought to do it somewhere remote, it was still moronic.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #60
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

The OP's REAL problem was immaturity, not so much as inexperience. The lack of experience in fishtailing around corners with traction control off in the rain only compounded the lack of judgment.

The lesson the OP needs to learn here isn't so much that he shouldn't be fishtailing around corners with traction control off in the rain. That's the easy lesson. The BIGGER (and more difficult) lesson to be learned is that whatever decision you make while driving an almost 2-ton vehicle, especially when that decision is fueled by emotion, adrenaline, or anything else other than rational thought, can have much far greater consequences that impact other people and society as a whole. This lesson will be tested time-and-time again, such as when and if your bone-headed drunken friends are urging you to speed on public roads or to "beat that train" at a railroad crossing. OP, if you can learn this lesson, that's when people will give you a
Appreciate 0