BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #23
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

his story didn't make any sense. He said that before the cop showed up, he has already tried to activate the e-brake. He also said the whole time, he was applying the brake heavily. But then he said the cop instructed him to e-brake and brake at the same time, then it finally came to a stop. So did he apply both brakes before the cop showed up or not? His timeline just didn't make any sense.

Also, the fact that he was so sure that the mat wasn't a problem and also he recalls going 94 mph is kind of fishy.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
911 has been outsourced to India.
Lol might as well have been. Who knows how much longer I would have been on hold before someone answered.... Glad we got lucky and actually had fire trucks roll by our location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You are a bad man. I love it!
Thanks. I used to have a filter. Got sick of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #25
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

staged, obviously
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Plural would be Prii.
It's BS.
Only in the second declension.

I always just see "Priuses"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
his story didn't make any sense. He said that before the cop showed up, he has already tried to activate the e-brake. He also said the whole time, he was applying the brake heavily. But then he said the cop instructed him to e-brake and brake at the same time, then it finally came to a stop. So did he apply both brakes before the cop showed up or not? His timeline just didn't make any sense.

Also, the fact that he was so sure that the mat wasn't a problem and also he recalls going 94 mph is kind of fishy.
Do you have a source for that? He didn't say that in the CNN video. AFAICT, his timeline made perfect sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Only in the second declension.

I always just see "Priuses"
or as i call them, "pussies"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #29
radix
No_Country
Rep

BTW, this isn't an isolated incident, it happened to Steve Wozniak. I doubt Steve needs the money a lawsuit would bring, and he's not a technical idiot either.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...eadlinesArea.0
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
BTW, this isn't an isolated incident, it happened to Steve Wozniak. I doubt Steve needs the money a lawsuit would bring, and he's not a technical idiot either.

are you sure he wasn't nomming down his second cheeseburger and was so engulfed in beef ecstasy that he forgot to lift his foot off the accelerator?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #31
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:

oh, we did not say that problem does not exist. it does, but that particular guy is full of shit and hist story does not check out.

Woz:
"This is software. It's not a bad accelerator pedal. It's very scary, but luckily for me, I can hit the brakes," he said.

While the Priusgate guy claims that he was not able to do *anything*
      03-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Yeah I agree with those who said that Prius isn't even part of the recall. It's kinda funny how people are getting into accidents and blaming it on Toyota. I mean who knows if it's true or not but nowadays it seems that everything is Toyota's fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
oh, we did not say that problem does not exist. it does, but that particular guy is full of shit and hist story does not check out.

Woz:
"This is software. It's not a bad accelerator pedal. It's very scary, but luckily for me, I can hit the brakes," he said.

While the Priusgate guy claims that he was not able to do *anything*
I never said the two cases were exactly the same, only that there is precedent. FWIW, his story does check out imo, sorry. Your previous post "debunking" his claims debunks nothing. For example, you took issue with the last sentence of the police report.

Quote:
The vehicles did not touch until after they came to a stop.
For starters, that sentence doesn't even make sense if you think about it. It's impossible. If the two vehicles weren't touching each other while stopping, but touched only after they stopped, then one of the vehicles wasn't stopped to begin with. Putting aside the fact that the sentence is for all intents and purposes non sequitur, all this tells me is that the guy needed both the ebrake and the brake pedal to stop the car, and that is indicative of a problem. That, and the police officer who wrote the report isn't very good at articulating himself.

As for your comments about his eyes, perhaps he is camera shy. If you want to assume the role of interrogator and get into the NLP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-l...ic_programming) aspects of his interview, his eyes were moving to the lower left indicating that he was checking his feelings. This would be normal for someone who just went through an emotionally harrowing experience, if you believe in NLP that is.

http://www.nlp-now.co.uk/nlp_eye_accessing_cues.htm

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php

Last edited by radix; 03-09-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #34
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
I never said the two cases were exactly the same, only that there is precedent. FWIW, his story does check out imo, sorry. Your previous post "debunking" his claims debunks nothing. For example, you took issue with the last sentence of the police report.

For starters, that sentence doesn't even make sense if you think about it. It's impossible. If the two vehicles weren't touching each other while stopping, but touched only after they stopped, then one of the vehicles wasn't stopped to begin with. Putting aside the fact that the sentence is for all intents and purposes non sequitur, all this tells me is that the guy needed both the ebrake and the brake pedal to stop the car, and that is indicative of a problem. That, and the police officer who wrote the report isn't very good at articulating himself.

As for your comments about his eyes, perhaps he is camera shy. If you want to assume the role of interrogator and get into the NLP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-l...ic_programming) aspects of his interview, his eyes were moving to the lower left indicating that he was checking his feelings. This would be normal for someone who just went through an emotionally harrowing experience, if you believe in NLP that is.

http://www.nlp-now.co.uk/nlp_eye_accessing_cues.htm

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php
I dunno man, you may be right. But in the last 3 weeks was a witness to some *MAJOR* drama, that hit newspapers and TV and at the end ended up being nothing more than a hoax, designed to promote political agenda of a small group, causing protests, insults, finger-pointing and 45,000 man-hours wasted on "sensitivity training". Funny thing is that i called shenanigans on that story within the first 15 minutes.

I guess i am fresh off that roller coaster, and maybe the guy is telling the truth, but too me, personally, nothing in this story checks out, just like it did not with the previous one....

EDIT: And speaking of the video... I noticed in a lot of interviews and news footage, that the image has been flipped. Either to create a better frame, by mistake or some other reason, so there is no way to be sure where the guys eyes are pointing, unless you are standing in front of him.

Last edited by solefald; 03-09-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #35
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I'm willing to believe the guy. He was supposedly talking to multiple news agencies in that video, so he was looking all around at different people. The officer also noted he could smell the brakes when he pulled along side the car on the highway. In the 911 call (http://jalopnik.com/5489553/runaway-...ape-im-over-90) you can hear the worry in his voice and towards the 3 minute mark of the audio he even appears to be sobbing.

That said, I don't think he is very smart if he couldn't figure out to shift the car into neutral and gently come to a stop...
      03-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #36
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Toyota's are terrorists... Trying to kill Americans with there cheap ass poorly made cars
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #37
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
The officer also noted he could smell the brakes when he pulled along side the car on the highway.
I can stand on the brakes and the gas at the same time and burn mine up too. So for me this statement from the officer doesn't add any credibility to his story.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Seems like it was all planned to me.

Just saw the guy on the news. He said he wouldn't put the car in neutral because he is scared it would hit reverse..

Although the 911 dispatcher and the police has constantly told him to put the car in neutral, he declines.. Seems fishy to me..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #39
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

"I live in SD... Local news just reported that he filed 2 burglary reports for over 50k and they found that the reports were unsubstantiated. What do you bet he did this for lawsuit money. Reply
JC Whitless promoted this comment"

Quote I found
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #40
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
EDIT: And speaking of the video... I noticed in a lot of interviews and news footage, that the image has been flipped. Either to create a better frame, by mistake or some other reason, so there is no way to be sure where the guys eyes are pointing, unless you are standing in front of him.
In this case we can be reasonably sure, as you can read the license plate of the police car behind them. This indicates the frame wasn't flipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #41
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
you ever tried to grab your gas pedal and floor mat while going 94 mph on the highway?

I cant imagine this wasnt planned with such elaborate detail
      03-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #42
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

I knew majority of these occurrences are BS ever since the first one. People are always out for easy money.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #43
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A repeat of the Audi case sounds possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi#Re...d_acceleration

I think I remember part of one investigation way back then showing how the cases literally blossomed after (and pretty much only after) each widely reported case that made the news.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #44
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Probably GM/Chrysler + government entities making things happen.

Bad press for Toyota is good for business and country.