BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #45
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

nice you will have to comment on how the finish wears with a little time.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #46
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

So when you mounting them??
      04-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #47
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Love the setup!

Can't wait to see them mounted!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #48
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Wow - looks like a great setup. Glad you were finally able to get a quality set of wheels on your M3.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #49
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

those look amazing with the tires on and so happy that you got them before the agreed delivery date too. Although that did get offset but the fact that UPS screwed up on the handling.

we reinforced the sides and the top but looks like something sharp went right through.

I am certain, it is going to be a great performer for you.
      04-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #50
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
When are they going on the car?
The next nice weekend day that I can get out to the track. I plan to mount them, drive out on them, run about 10 laps, drive home on them, then dismount them. Then they'll probably sit until I go down to VIR in June (12-13). Anybody want to meet up there? If so, I'll start a thread in the track section.
      04-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #51
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
The next nice weekend day that I can get out to the track. I plan to mount them, drive out on them, run about 10 laps, drive home on them, then dismount them. Then they'll probably sit until I go down to VIR in June (12-13). Anybody want to meet up there? If so, I'll start a thread in the track section.
Not going to heat cycle them first?
      04-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #52
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That probably is his "heat cycle."
I've read the Porsche guys do the same where they'll do a session and then take them off and maybe do another session on them the next day before they really beat on them.

Looking forward to the mounted pics.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #53
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've read the Porsche guys do the same where they'll do a session and then take them off and maybe do another session on them the next day before they really beat on them.

Fair enough.
      04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #54
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Correct. That is considered a proper heat cycle, except for the driving home on them, but I won't let them cool down. I'm literally going to drive to the track, go through the gates, through the paddock, onto pit row, and then onto the track. When I'm done doing 6-10 laps, I'm going to exit the track and go home. Just like that
      04-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #55
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

nice
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #56
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct. That is considered a proper heat cycle, except for the driving home on them, but I won't let them cool down. I'm literally going to drive to the track, go through the gates, through the paddock, onto pit row, and then onto the track. When I'm done doing 6-10 laps, I'm going to exit the track and go home. Just like that
Is this a correct way to heat cycle? You just have to drive straight home and can't let the car sit idle/off before going home? I am going to be in a similar dilemma with a new set of wheels/tires (Yoko AD08).

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I hope that works out, never happens for me.
Figure 8s, then straight home would be my method.

Jason@Renn-Spec just called me today with great news. My Advans arrived today!!!!!!!!! 1 month early!!!!! Hopefully get out the track ASAP.
      04-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #58
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Is this a correct way to heat cycle? You just have to drive straight home and can't let the car sit idle/off before going home? I am going to be in a similar dilemma with a new set of wheels/tires (Yoko AD08).
You don't need to heat cycle Neova AD08s. They are not an R compound tire. I would def get at least 100-200 miles on them before taking them to the track, get any oils off the car from manufacturing.
      04-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #59
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
You don't need to heat cycle Neova AD08s. They are not an R compound tire. I would def get at least 100-200 miles on them before taking them to the track, get any oils off the car from manufacturing.
Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. I read on the Yoko site that they are between a race (R compound) and a street tire. That being the case I was not sure what to do to break them in.

Thanks!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #60
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. I read on the Yoko site that they are between a race (R compound) and a street tire. That being the case I was not sure what to do to break them in.

Thanks!
Don't know if you use your car daily or how long your commute is, but throw them on a week or two before your track date, and you should be good to go. Drive them hard a few times.

AD08s are awesome tires, I use to use the AD07s on my e46 M3.
Im gonna be using Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on my Advan RS for track, little cheaper and came in the sizes I wanted.
      04-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #61
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is the optimal method of heat cycling. You don't want to let the tires cool down after running on the track and then drive home. That will negate the heat cycle. Ideally, I would mount/dismount the tires at the track, but since I only live 30 minutes away via turnpike (so no stopping), I can drive on them. The idea behind heat cycling them by running on them is two-fold; first, you scrub off the resins left on the rubber when the tires are released from the mold (AKA releasing agent). Secondly, you bring them up to the exact temperature you want them to perform at. So, to go from ambient to hot-lap temp and then back to ambient is a perfect heat cycle. However, you should not use them again until AT LEAST 24 hours later. Hope this helps. I believe TireRack has more info on this subject on their website. They offer heat cycling service for r-comp tires, but their method isn't quite as effective, nor is it as much fun
      04-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #62
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

M3V8Driver,
Are you using the OEM wheel lugs on the Advans?
I forgot to ask what I should be using on mine.
      04-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #63
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is the optimal method of heat cycling. You don't want to let the tires cool down after running on the track and then drive home. That will negate the heat cycle. Ideally, I would mount/dismount the tires at the track, but since I only live 30 minutes away via turnpike (so no stopping), I can drive on them. The idea behind heat cycling them by running on them is two-fold; first, you scrub off the resins left on the rubber when the tires are released from the mold (AKA releasing agent). Secondly, you bring them up to the exact temperature you want them to perform at. So, to go from ambient to hot-lap temp and then back to ambient is a perfect heat cycle. However, you should not use them again until AT LEAST 24 hours later. Hope this helps. I believe TireRack has more info on this subject on their website. They offer heat cycling service for r-comp tires, but their method isn't quite as effective, nor is it as much fun
Thanks for the info! I think I have a game plan now!

Quote:
M3V8Driver,
Are you using the OEM wheel lugs on the Advans?
I forgot to ask what I should be using on mine.

I did a stud conversion with Kics Lugs, but lets see what M3V8Driver says.

GTS

Last edited by biglare; 04-28-2010 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #64
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:

Jason@Renn-Spec just called me today with great news. My Advans arrived today!!!!!!!!! 1 month early!!!!! Hopefully get out the track ASAP.
Nice congrats! I was going to go with those, but thought they may take too long to get and you get your wheels before I do! Figures!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #65
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Nice congrats! I was going to go with those, but thought they may take too long to get and you get your wheels before I do! Figures!
LOL, Im surprised you don't have them yet.
      04-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #66
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I hope that works out, never happens for me.
Figure 8s, then straight home would be my method.

CONGRATS!! That NEVER happens.
I also could not expect to go out on a track and then just drive straight off and home where I live. Beside, I would have paid for a full day's track time too.

Quote:
Don't know if you use your car daily or how long your commute is, but throw them on a week or two before your track date, and you should be good to go. Drive them hard a few times.

AD08s are awesome tires, I use to use the AD07s on my e46 M3.
Im gonna be using Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on my Advan RS for track, little cheaper and came in the sizes I wanted.

Same plan I have.
They don't get much attention here, but other forums love them and my buddy's set still looks almost new after 4 days at the track.
What sizes are you running? I may end up with the Apex Arc8, so should be able to use the same sizes you're using.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0