BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Car Damaged During Shipping?

Hey guys, I recently picked up an M3 that was shipped from a dealer about 1000 miles away to my local dealer. When I went to pick up the car, we realized that there was a gouge in the drivers side rocker panel and also some vertical scrapes underneath the front bumper.

The dealer said they will repair both of the issues free of charge and said they will get it back to looking brand new. Is there anything I should request for the repair or worry about in this case?

Both of the blemishes are (relatively) minor but I would want them perfectly repaired considering this is a brand new car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Hey guys, I recently picked up an M3 that was shipped from a dealer about 1000 miles away to my local dealer. When I went to pick up the car, we realized that there was a gouge in the drivers side rocker panel and also some vertical scrapes underneath the front bumper.

The dealer said they will repair both of the issues free of charge and said they will get it back to looking brand new. Is there anything I should request for the repair or worry about in this case?

Both of the blemishes are (relatively) minor but I would want them perfectly repaired considering this is a brand new car.

Thanks
I had a similar issue, only mine was on a car I ordered, and the damage was more extensive.
I gave the dealership the benefit of the doubt. According to them, the repairs were done at the VPC. From everything people told me, and I read, I was expecting what you were told...a perfect repair.
Unfortunately...it was anything but. The new drivers side door they put on didn't close properly. There was a piece of trim stickin up that they didnt glue back down properly. There was paint overspray in the door jam. The kicker...was the 5" long run in the paint in the lower left corner of the drivers side door.
The dealership offered to send it back out...promising that "their guys" would do a much better job. Personally...I didn't want a twice repaired brand new car...so...I opted to reorder.

I'm not saying don't take the car. I am saying look it over with a microscope. The dealership I dealt with told me the car "looked great"...so I drove the 2 hours to discover what I described above.
Also...if you find you want the car...it may be "good as new", but it's still repaired. I've yet to see a repair that was perfect. I'd get em to take some money off it.

Good luck!

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Your stuff is plastic. You have nothing to worry about but just really look over the repairs. If It was me i would ask for the rockers to be removed before it is painted to ensure no overspray.
      10-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
Your stuff is plastic. You have nothing to worry about but just really look over the repairs. If It was me i would ask for the rockers to be removed before it is painted to ensure no overspray.
Yeah that's the one good thing, at least it's not in the metal. As long as it looks like new after the repairs, I am fine. I was just a little skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
tintasbarnes
Registered
Rep
Drives: small

car shipping

Hi guys, I had the same thing with my e46, I can assure you that the plastic stuff can be cured fast and cheap. I work in logistics, and I wrote an article about car shipping do's and dont's, maybe you and your dealer are interested in it. http://www.squidoo.com/car-shipping-guide
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Rocker panel, I would def. fix, under front bumper, I think you can skip, it'll get scraped soon enough. Basically, they need to pull the full part off and respray the entire piece. If that's the case, then the respray will show up on a paint depth measurement. (i'm not sure if you give a crap about that, but an anal 2nd hand buyer might in the future) Paint depth measurement is an easy tell-all way of finding out subsequent resprays of body panels.

Stuff like this happen all the time. Most of it is caught at the prep center. But if you took delivery and saw it, then likely it was damaged after the prep center inspection.

Read this, then you won't be able to sleep at night:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425763
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Rocker panel, I would def. fix, under front bumper, I think you can skip, it'll get scraped soon enough. Basically, they need to pull the full part off and respray the entire piece. If that's the case, then the respray will show up on a paint depth measurement. (i'm not sure if you give a crap about that, but an anal 2nd hand buyer might in the future) Paint depth measurement is an easy tell-all way of finding out subsequent resprays of body panels.

Stuff like this happen all the time. Most of it is caught at the prep center. But if you took delivery and saw it, then likely it was damaged after the prep center inspection.

Read this, then you won't be able to sleep at night:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425763
Thanks for the insight, yeah I definitely need the rocker fixed. I'm torn on the front bumper, they said they could fix it without repainting the whole bumper, so I'm not sure what to do...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

The underside of the bumper on my car got some scrapes too. I didnt notice until I washed it at home a few days later. I say, leave the bumper alone. It's not like it's going to rust...
      10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
The underside of the bumper on my car got some scrapes too. I didnt notice until I washed it at home a few days later. I say, leave the bumper alone. It's not like it's going to rust...
Yeah, I'll try and post some pics of the bumper later. The scrapes aren't that bad, but they still bother me. My dealer assured me that they could do a perfect repair since it is on the plastic bumper and not a metal piece, who knows though.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
I am Jeff
Private
Rep
Drives: Gods Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Yeah, I'll try and post some pics of the bumper later. The scrapes aren't that bad, but they still bother me. My dealer assured me that they could do a perfect repair since it is on the plastic bumper and not a metal piece, who knows though.
Have the dealer fix the rocker panel and tell them to knock off some $$ for the bumper.
Appreciate 0