BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

If you didn't get every available option, your car is basically a 335. Got it!
      03-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
If you didn't get every available option, your car is basically a 335. Got it!
especially if you don't choose the 414hp V8, the upgraded suspension parts, brakes, body parts, seats, etc......
      03-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
especially if you don't choose the 414hp V8, the upgraded suspension parts, brakes, body parts, seats, etc......
Sarcasm... I have a four option car.
      03-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #26
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Sarcasm... I have a four option car.
sarcasm as well I currently have a two option car.
      03-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #27
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I just ordered my second e92 m3 without iDrive. Totally unnecessary. I got zcp so I'll have all sport modes and edc. I hate iDrive the double hump and screen is annoying to me and unnecessary. I have GPS on my iPhone if I really really need it, which I almost never do. I find it's easier to control my my music through my phone as an interface plugging it in through the aux jack. I still have bluetooth for handsfree calling. I just don't see the need to scroll through menu screens to control something on the car when there's a mechanical button that already does it. This time, now that power seats aren't included I didn't get them either. What's the difference if I pull a lever or push a button to move my seat. I think the interior looks much cleaner without iDrive.
+1 Bingo

If the M button wasn't standard I would buying the Idrive, but honestly I dont see the need with it standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

There are two reasons I can think of not to get it:

One is, as you pointed out, there's a possibility that it will date the car down the road, but it's features will still operate as they did when the car was the latest and greatest so I'm not sure that's really much of an issue.
Once it's an older generation M3 it will always be considered either dated or classic regardless of whether it has iDrive or not right?

The other reason would be simply to lower the price of the car a bit.

If you have never owned a BMW with iDrive then I don't believe you would miss it one bit, but if you have owned a BMW equipped with iDrive and gotten used to the access and enhanced control it gives you then you would most likely miss it quite a bit.

After owning a few iDrive equipped cars I bought a used E92 335i on a whim. I didn't keep it long, but I loved everything about it except the fact that it didn't have iDrive. trying to access everything through the MFD was a nightmare after being used to iDrive which gives you access to far more options and is easier to use than the stalk/MFD (especially while driving).

Definitely spend some time playing with iDrive at the dealership and see if you think you'd miss it before making such an expensive decision.
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i figured more to go wrong with idrive so i opted out
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
If you don't get iDrive you won't be using 6NR bmw apps, and if you dont get 6NR you can't update your facebook status via your m3.... and let's be honest, if I can't be on facebook while driving. I'm going with another manufacturer.
      03-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #31
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R A N D X® View Post
There are two reasons I can think of not to get it:

One is, as you pointed out, there's a possibility that it will date the car down the road, but it's features will still operate as they did when the car was the latest and greatest so I'm not sure that's really much of an issue.
Once it's an older generation M3 it will always be considered either dated or classic regardless of whether it has iDrive or not right?

The other reason would be simply to lower the price of the car a bit.

If you have never owned a BMW with iDrive then I don't believe you would miss it one bit, but if you have owned a BMW equipped with iDrive and gotten used to the access and enhanced control it gives you then you would most likely miss it quite a bit.

After owning a few iDrive equipped cars I bought a used E92 335i on a whim. I didn't keep it long, but I loved everything about it except the fact that it didn't have iDrive. trying to access everything through the MFD was a nightmare after being used to iDrive which gives you access to far more options and is easier to use than the stalk/MFD (especially while driving).

Definitely spend some time playing with iDrive at the dealership and see if you think you'd miss it before making such an expensive decision.
I agree with you that if you are used to iDrive you will prob miss it. It really comes down to individual choice for each person.

I disagree however and believe that the iDrive will make the car more dated. If I was on the market for a e46 m3 I would make a point to get one without the nav system. The e46 is a very classy looking car, but having that old style nav system makes the interior look like crap compared to the new systems found in cars currently. I believe it will be the same thing for the current gen m3. If you plan on keeping this car for a while, I think it will age a lot better with out a lot of the high tech gadets that will become outdated a couple years down the road.

If I was buying a normal bmw as a beater, or planning on keeping my m3 for only couple years I would add the nav system, but I plan on keeping this m3 much longer than that and I dont think the iDrive adds anything of value for me over the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I also wonder how much weight we will be saving not having all the additional motors, parts, and components that make up:

Power Seats
Power Folding Mirrors
Digital Compass
BMW Assist
Universal Garage Door Opener
Retractable Headlight Washers
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Assess Keyless System
Alarm
Navigation system and screen
PDC
DCT
Moonroof
Power Rear Sunshade
Satellite Radio.

All of this stuff has to add up to a hundred pounds, if not more.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokies2011 View Post
If you don't get iDrive you won't be using 6NR bmw apps, and if you dont get 6NR you can't update your facebook status via your m3.... and let's be honest, if I can't be on facebook while driving. I'm going with another manufacturer.
It should say updated via BMW ///M3

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I just ordered my second e92 m3 without iDrive. Totally unnecessary. I got zcp so I'll have all sport modes and edc. I hate iDrive the double hump and screen is annoying to me and unnecessary. I have GPS on my iPhone if I really really need it, which I almost never do. I find it's easier to control my my music through my phone as an interface plugging it in through the aux jack. I still have bluetooth for handsfree calling. I just don't see the need to scroll through menu screens to control something on the car when there's a mechanical button that already does it. This time, now that power seats aren't included I didn't get them either. What's the difference if I pull a lever or push a button to move my seat. I think the interior looks much cleaner without iDrive.
I have to agree with you 100% My last M3 had no iDrive or mDrive whatever they call it so I will not miss it a bit. Also less distractions while driving, besides all my concentration will be on shifting the gears just right and enjoying the ride

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #35
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

My last BMW was my '03 330i ZHP. European delivery, kept it for 6 years. This car, I may well keep 10+ years. So no prior iDrive and I want to keep it simple, but if someone tells me I am totally missing something (perforamnce-wise) without iDrive, I'll consider it. And yeah, I rather spend less than more.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #36
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
iDrive is pretty neat but I passed on it for more or less the same reason most non-idrive owners stated

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I wouldn't have gotten my car if it didn't have exactly every option I wanted.

Such as heated seats, CA, iDrive, EDC, DCT...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

I hate cars that don't have nav. If always get that option, and the wavy looks look sexy with the nav screen on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
i thought about non-iDrive at first.. but technology package is important for me and it was only available with iDrive plus cant see spending a 60k+ car w/o it
.. having that option is only few dollars more on payment
and better resale
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #40
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
It should say updated via BMW ///M3

lollllllllllllllllllzzzz my thoughts exactly.

Prick of the Year Award goes toooooooo.. us.
      03-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #41
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

if you've never had an iDrive equipped vehincle, you won't be missing anything..
      03-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Since, as far as I can tell, no one ever answered your actual question (I could be wrong), here goes:

Without IDrive, with respect to MDrive and the M Button, you lose:

a) Sport Plus Power - this setting is not available via the Power button on the console, so you won't have it at all. Therefore, only Sport and Normal Power settings are accessible to you. Note that Sport Plus Power is arguably of limited value. Please search the forum, however, to read up on varying opinions of this so you know what you are getting into. IMHO: Don't sweat it - you'd rarely use it anyway.

b) Ability to set DSC OFF to M Button - you can still turn DSC off via the console button. However you will not be able to set it to the M Button. Instead, your M Button will be hardcoded to MDM mode. This is actually completely fine - most people set MDM mode to the M Button anyway. And like I say, you can still turn DSC off, it just means pressing and holding the Button on the console instead of using the M Button.

c) Ability to set Servotronic "Normal" to the M Button - Your M Button will be hardcoded to Servotronic "Sport". Again, this is perfectly acceptable since most people do this anyway.

So let me summarize how to access all possible combinations for a car with no IDrive, no EDC, and no DCT:

a) DSC ON, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Default, just start the car
b) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: As b) above, but then hold down DSC Button
c) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Not possible - MDM and Sport Servotronic come either together or not at all

d) DSC ON, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hit Power Button (unless car was already in Sport Power mode, which by the way is remembered across restarts)
e) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hold Down DSC button. Then hit Power button once (again, unless car was already in Sport Power mode)
f) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: same as C (not possible).

g) DSC ON, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC back on via console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
h) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC off via holding down console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
i) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Hit Power button. Alternatively, you can actually set Normal Power to the M Button permanently by holding the M Button down when the car is in Normal Power mode. Useful for making the M Button a "track button" where you want MDM and Sport steering, but where the Sport Power might make throttle too twitchy.

j) DSC ON, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Turn DSC back ON (out of MDM mode) via the console button.
k) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Hold down DSC button on console to turn DSC off.
l) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Thanks guys. I don't actually want iDrive. I plan on keeping this car forever and want to keep it simple and not make it seem dated.

As long as there is a way to configure the car without idrive so that when pushing the M and/or Power button I can access the same performance settings I would be able to with idrive, that is all I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Get iDrive...Just do it. Don't think.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #44
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
if you've never had an iDrive equipped vehincle, you won't be missing anything..
and if you have, you'll be happy to get rid of it and go back to a much simpler system of just pushing a mechanical (or semi-mechanical) button instead. At least I was, I've had iDrive before.