BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

09-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Ideas for where I can mount a really big amp in this car.

Other than under the rear deck, I can't think of a nice place to mount a really big amp. Amp dimensions are about 31.5"L x 10.25"W x 2.25"D.

If you're curious, this is the amp I had in mind

http://www.trutechnology.com/products/billet/b6s_09.htm
      09-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Roof rack for extra cooling
Or sacrifice the rear seat
That's a big ass amp!

Only good place is on a board attached to rear seat
Then another board, covered in matching carpet as trunk, covering the amp, so when you open the trunk you see carpeting only, but a little shorter from the top and bottom to allow air to circulate?
So basically sandwiched between 2 boards, you could also add fans, I use PC fans since they are 12v, work great. You'd need fans at the top and bottom, bottom blowing up across the amp heatsimk, and the top blowing up, obviously using a relay triggered by remote wire
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Roof rack for extra cooling
Or sacrifice the rear seat
That's a big ass amp!

Only good place is on a board attached to rear seat
Then another board, covered in matching carpet as trunk, covering the amp, so when you open the trunk you see carpeting only, but a little shorter from the top and bottom to allow air to circulate?
So basically sandwiched between 2 boards, you could also add fans, I use PC fans since they are 12v, work great. You'd need fans at the top and bottom, bottom blowing up across the amp heatsimk, and the top blowing up, obviously using a relay triggered by remote wire
The only bad thing about attaching an amp that big to the rear seat is that you can't fold the seats down anymore. Well you could I guess if you only fold both down at the same time but you can't to the 60/40 split anymore.