BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dealer visits with a tracked car

I wish they had a special service lane/service advisor at BMW dealers to process M3s that regularly see the track. I brought my car in the other day for a leak from the differential. As I pulled into the service entrance, my Pagid yellows squealing like a garbage truck, the service advisor said, "You know your brakes are squeaking? Do you hear that?" No, why thank you, I had no idea. "They're track pads," I replied. "Oh," he said, and looked at me like I had five heads.

He then proceeded to do the walkaround, inspecting the car for dents, checking my tires' tread depth. He pointed out all of the track rubber marks on the front fascia and bumper--"See this? And this? And this?" Yep, yep, yep.

We went into his desk area. He checked his service computer and said, "It says here you're due for a brake service--pads and rotor check." This despite our discussion five minutes prior about the track pads, and him being a foot away from my StopTech BBK while looking at all of the tires.
      05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Ha ha. Classic.

Do you actually street your Pagids?? How do you stand the noise?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Yeah I'm dreading taking mine in.

Luckily I'm all stock.
      05-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Yeah I'm dreading taking mine in.

Luckily I'm all stock.
Looking at your location I assume you are in SD. Where do you take your car?

I've had terrbile experiences so far at BMW of San Diego... unfortunately they are across the street from my job so for minor things it's just too convenient.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You should have seen the face on my Toyota service advisor when a caged track prepped FR-S showed up at their dealer on a race car hauler with a blown engine and i demanded warranty!
The car was sprayed with track rubber, on race pads, and still had the track day # sticker on the windshield lol.

Eventually, they covered it as it was an injector o ring that failed and caused it to lean and blow and my engine was pretty much stock.
      05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

BMW of Newport have been solid for me. The covered all the warranty items, filled it up with Ate Super instead of BMW brake fluid and changed the rotors twice. The said they were interested in seeing how the car holds up and glad to work on an M3 that gets run, rather than the garage queens they tend to see.

They caught me when I forgot to clean the bottom of the running boards! D'Oh!
      05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This is spot on. I've had no luck with service departments on this front either.

Front brake service called for in ~1300 mls for me. So last time I'm in they want to address that.

SA: "Did you want to take care of the brake service today?"

Me: "I have a front Stoptech big brake kit. Rotors and pads are good."

SA: "Ok, I don't know how we can just disregard the recommended service."

Me: "They're no longer original BMW brakes. It's an aftermarket kit."

SA: "I see. Your brake service light will be coming on soon."

Me: "So disable it?"

SA: Shocked stare. "Ooh. I don't think we can do that."

Me: "Ok. I'll drive around with the light on then."

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This is spot on. I've had no luck with service departments on this front either.

Front brake service called for in ~1300 mls for me. So last time I'm in they want to address that.

That's why I'm loving life. 105K all purpose street/track miles, 3 track days so far this year, and in fact just got back from road america a few days ago. Life is so much better well beyond warranty so you don't have to listen to all that nonsense from the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Looking at your location I assume you are in SD. Where do you take your car?

I've had terrbile experiences so far at BMW of San Diego... unfortunately they are across the street from my job so for minor things it's just too convenient.
Haha, good catch.

I go to bmw of sd. I hate them but like you , they are convenient to me.

I hear bmw of south county is good.

I don't tell my SA anything. Just this is my problem fix it. They don't need to know I go to the track.
      05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
You should have seen the face on my Toyota service advisor when a caged track prepped FR-S showed up at their dealer on a race car hauler with a blown engine and i demanded warranty!
The car was sprayed with track rubber, on race pads, and still had the track day # sticker on the windshield lol.

Eventually, they covered it as it was an injector o ring that failed and caused it to lean and blow and my engine was pretty much stock.
lol
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
My dealer offers free track inspections prior to track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You folks have a warped sense of reality.

Reality is, people who track their BMWs are probably less than 1/10th of 1% of the population. For any BMW center to accommodate the likes of "us" above and beyond servicing their normal customers would make zero business sense. For service advisors to be TRAINED to manage the expectations of those of us who track? Makes ZERO business sense.

That said. I had a service advisor who used to track his E39. We had a great working relationship. When he left the dealership I was very disappointed. His replacement knew nothing of what these cars can really do in track, and some of the stuff he used to go above and beyond with for me, like flushing my brake fluid with what I bring in when I ask, without a question, were met with far more resistance than necessary.

But hey. Such is life. I got lucky with a service advisor. That luck was not to be repeated again since I've learned to do the vast majority of the maintenance work myself, and have found a trusty Indy mechanic to take care of what I can't.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Ha ha. Classic.

Do you actually street your Pagids?? How do you stand the noise?
I do--they're ok at low (street) temps, just a little grabby. When bedded in, they're not that noisy. Then when you've been away from the track for a week or so they start to squeal. I put them in in April as track season starts, and run them all spring and summer, only replacing when they're worn. I take them out in November at the end of the season as I'm putting my winter wheels/tires on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
BMW of Newport have been solid for me. The covered all the warranty items, filled it up with Ate Super instead of BMW brake fluid and changed the rotors twice. The said they were interested in seeing how the car holds up and glad to work on an M3 that gets run, rather than the garage queens they tend to see.

They caught me when I forgot to clean the bottom of the running boards! D'Oh!
Lucky! That dealer is a keeper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
My dealer offers free track inspections prior to track days.
Is that true?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You folks have a warped sense of reality.

Reality is, people who track their BMWs are probably less than 1/10th of 1% of the population. For any BMW center to accommodate the likes of "us" above and beyond servicing their normal customers would make zero business sense. For service advisors to be TRAINED to manage the expectations of those of us who track? Makes ZERO business sense.

That said. I had a service advisor who used to track his E39. We had a great working relationship. When he left the dealership I was very disappointed. His replacement knew nothing of what these cars can really do in track, and some of the stuff he used to go above and beyond with for me, like flushing my brake fluid with what I bring in when I ask, without a question, were met with far more resistance than necessary.

But hey. Such is life. I got lucky with a service advisor. That luck was not to be repeated again since I've learned to do the vast majority of the maintenance work myself, and have found a trusty Indy mechanic to take care of what I can't.
You're right, but it is nice when you find a service advisor who is an enthusiast him/herself, and understands. Many of them, though, just follow the script and punch things in the computer. In the past at this dealer I've had SA's who are accommodating and great to deal with, one of which was actually a racer who was between sponsors/rides. But the turnover has been high lately, and now I'm dealing with brand-new people that I have no relationship with--kind of frustrating when you've been with the same dealer for 10 years, and leased 6 cars from them during that time.
      05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post

Is that true?!?
Absolutely! No joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Last time in, I learned my SA tracks a race prepped M3 but I was dumb and didn't ask what gen.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Ha, funny about some dealership SAs, they really don't have a clue sometimes.

Re: the diff leak you brought it in for, what happened? Just curious how that might of happened? or why it was happening in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
You're right, but it is nice when you find a service advisor who is an enthusiast him/herself, and understands. Many of them, though, just follow the script and punch things in the computer. In the past at this dealer I've had SA's who are accommodating and great to deal with, one of which was actually a racer who was between sponsors/rides. But the turnover has been high lately, and now I'm dealing with brand-new people that I have no relationship with--kind of frustrating when you've been with the same dealer for 10 years, and leased 6 cars from them during that time.
The honest truth is service advisors like that gets burned out. That's why mine left the dealership. They're too enthusiastic and love the brand TOO MUCH to watch the parade of morons come across his desk that has no idea what they bought. I remember every time I went to visit him for some work on the car, he'd complain about what a sh*tty day he's had and all the idiots he had to deal with on a daily basis. And I sympathize. I personally would NEVER want to be an SA, although I can guarantee you that had I been able to stomach what he had to deal with on a daily basis, I'd be a damn good SA.

So, yeah. I've gotten to the point where if the dealership don't care, I don't care. It's a business and frankly, I don't think they'll care if I take it elsewhere (which I have).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #18
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Ha, funny about some dealership SAs, they really don't have a clue sometimes.

Re: the diff leak you brought it in for, what happened? Just curious how that might of happened? or why it was happening in the first place.
Noticed a small oily spot on the floor of the garage the other day. Based on its location on the floor, I figured it was probably the diff. The next morning I got under the back of the car, and sure enough, there was a drop of fluid hanging from the diff housing. I thought it might be a bad seal/gasket. The dealership found that a couple bolts on the housing had become loose, so they retorqued and checked again for leaks--good to go. Maybe driveline stresses work the bolts loose over time?
      05-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Noticed a small oily spot on the floor of the garage the other day. Based on its location on the floor, I figured it was probably the diff. The next morning I got under the back of the car, and sure enough, there was a drop of fluid hanging from the diff housing. I thought it might be a bad seal/gasket. The dealership found that a couple bolts on the housing had become loose, so they retorqued and checked again for leaks--good to go. Maybe driveline stresses work the bolts loose over time?
Interesting, and good update. First I've heard of it, then again your car does see its fair share of opposite lock my friend She's telling you something I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
We are "track-friendly" here at United BMW Roswell. Shame most of you are not near us!
      05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Fla to Ga.

Too bad more dealers are not "track friendly".

almost worth the drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

My dealer is reasonably okay with my car.
The guys in back all come and look at the supercharger and I tell them to leave the brakes alone when I am in for free maintenance.

Last time, when I picked up my car they told me they wanted to do something for me on the brakes so they flushed them for me.

I thanked them but inwardly I was thinking, gee, I just put new high temp fluid in so I will have to do that again when I get home. They were trying to be helpful, so next time I will have to mention to not do that either.
Appreciate 0