BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #45
derekp
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 Infiniti G37s  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
A pic from sat.

My car is the superior white one next to derekp's old man grey.
This was way before they looked tore up from all the rubber!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
WHAAATTT THE F#######CK is that shit????
No black flag???
Not sure if he got flagged or not. He didn't seem to speak English very well when I brought it up in the meeting. I don't even know if he understood what he did wrong. These are the things that worry me at Speed Ventures events. Otherwise, things seemed to go pretty smooth though.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #47
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Oh snap laguna seca in august? Lets caravan.
Now that would be a fun trip!
Lets do it. Norcal cca im guessing? We can meet that dude from the "another track day passing a ferrari" thread ha
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #48
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I spent my weekend instructing multiple individuals, both giving ridealongs in slower groups to show them the lines, and riding in their passenger seat (all in cars with significantly less safety equipment than my own). And for no pay (i.e., VOLUNTEER).

So with that in mind, my point is I think that the cone configuration is NOT safer and is bullshit. Thinking that constricting the FASTEST point on the track down to a single car width is "safer" is makes zero sense. So I do NOT applaud CCA.

And you apparently missed the part where I drive a 200whp car I still have to adjust my line going around the banking, usually to get around someone with a lot of hp down the straight who is going too slow around the bank.

Calm down dude. CCA rules are different. It's single file unless you get a point by and this is STRICTLY enforced. Also, there's no passing on NASCAR 1/2 except maybe in the A+ group where there are maybe 10 cars out on track. It's not for everyone, and the more experienced guys tend to hate it, but for beginners and intermediate guys, it's great to have that extra safety built into the program.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #49
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
But, if there indeed are a couple of ways, I think there's a 3rd way...

And to stay on-topic here's a 1:52

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #50
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
But, if there indeed are a couple of ways, I think there's a 3rd way...

And to stay on-topic here's a 1:52

NICE.

Impressive is your 5 min brake pad swap lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #51
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Why are there cones all over the entrance to T1...?

wtf that is messed up! Seems a bit dangerous also!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #52
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
i liked the GT3 you had for breakfast. nice. those cones gotta go. get all the way up the bank.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #53
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Seems to me the people who complain about the cones are the ones that will never attend our events anyway, and those that do sees why they're there.

I rest my case.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #54
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Seems to me the people who complain about the cones are the ones that will never attend our events anyway, and those that do sees why they're there.

I rest my case.
I actually looked into attending the most recent Chuckwalla event.

In the end I think aus summed it up succinctly -- CCA events are geared towards novice drivers and the choices reflect that skill level. As aus noted, to experienced drivers it is a bit shocking to see random cones funneling drives down to a single path, especially at the fastest section of the track. And to us, it does not appear safe for the driving that occurs in the advanced groups.

But for novice groups who are traveling at significantly slower speeds and without open passing, it is less of an issue.

At the end of the day, I hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe tracking experience.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #55
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I will say, the CCA has some FAST drivers, even in the B group. The A+ guys are really fast. Many of the instructors still race.

I play basketball and I equate it to a street baller vs. a player who's played organized ball. I can spot a street baller in 2 minutes. Might be physically gifted, but will have poor foot work, or poor shot form and don't move well without the ball or know how to do things other than shoot and dribble.
There's a proper way to drive on a track and an untrained way to do it. It's not saying a guy who's done it themselves isn't fast, but is he/she looking at all the corner workers at each corner? Are their eyes up all the time? Are they looking for potential exits in case something goes bad? Do they get the line through a complex right? Are their mirrors adjusted right so the blind spot is minimized?

Both people will have fun, but it's different. It's hard for the guys who haven't had instruction to have someone next to you telling you you're doing everything wrong when you've been doing it for years youself.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0