BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #23
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I'm really curious to know how they will treat the RS5 if it's supposed to be a M3 killer. The M3 is already comparable to the R8 IN SOME AREAS. If they make the RS5 to BE a M3 killer then there would be no point in the R8, even with the V10.
what to you mean, "how they will treat the RS5?" its not all about performance either...the 5 platform is beautiful, but the R8 is exotic in a way that the RS5 could never achieve. R8 has a V8, btw.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
what to you mean, "how they will treat the RS5?" its not all about performance either...the 5 platform is beautiful, but the R8 is exotic in a way that the RS5 could never achieve. R8 has a V8, btw.
Let's face it, R8 is an entry level Lambo. They will also be releasing the R8 in V10 form soon. Since the M3 has been favorably compared to the R8 in certain scenarios it makes me wonder what Audi will do to really take the cake from the M3 with the RS5
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #25
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let's face it, R8 is an entry level Lambo. They will also be releasing the R8 in V10 form soon. Since the M3 has been favorably compared to the R8 in certain scenarios it makes me wonder what Audi will do to really take the cake from the M3 with the RS5
only time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #26
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

I saw an S5 in Bavaria in June: it's stunning.

As for the RS5, I suspect it will have the V8. V10 will be kept for car's up the range like the lambos, R10, RS6 Avant & S8.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I dont think the RS5 is going to be the "end all be all" a lot people think its going to be. Power is going to come from a massaged version of the outgoing RS4 engine and output is not going to be bumped up more than 30-40hp. Combined with the heavy wait of Audi's AWD system and already portly curb weight, I dont see the RS5 being that great of performer in anything but a straight line and even then its moving a lot of weight with engine that is not putting out much more power than the V8 in the current M3. I guess we will see though...Audi could surprise us

Jason
      08-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #28
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I dont think the RS5 is going to be the "end all be all" a lot people think its going to be. Power is going to come from a massaged version of the outgoing RS4 engine and output is not going to be bumped up more than 30-40hp. Combined with the heavy wait of Audi's AWD system and already portly curb weight, I dont see the RS5 being that great of performer in anything but a straight line and even then its moving a lot of weight with engine that is not putting out much more power than the V8 in the current M3. I guess we will see though...Audi could surprise us

Jason
audi will do a great job on this car. the S5 has a lot of promise and the design is too good to screw up. i think that it will be a strong competitor with the m3. i agree that weight will be an issue and i think that the rs5 should lose the quatrro and go rwd, but that won't happen. anyway, like you said, i guess we'll see. i'm excited to see how awesome it will look. i love the s5 styling.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #29
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I saw the S6 Avant on Top Gear and I must say..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #30
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw the S6 Avant on Top Gear and I must say..
s6
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
audi will do a great job on this car. the S5 has a lot of promise and the design is too good to screw up. i think that it will be a strong competitor with the m3. i agree that weight will be an issue and i think that the rs5 should lose the quatrro and go rwd, but that won't happen. anyway, like you said, i guess we'll see. i'm excited to see how awesome it will look. i love the s5 styling.

Word, I saw a couple modded S5's at a local Euro show this past weekend. Very very nice car. Love the seats, the rest of the interior is a little busy for me but I understand a lot of people like all the "flair". Again, from behind it takes cues from Aston and Jag which is just awesome. The S5 is truly a big GT like the cars it resembles. I think the RS5 will be very very nice and a great alternative to the M3. Of course its going to be much more expensive than the M and again might not quite trump the M in performance....

Jason
      08-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Beautiful car, but it's obvious that it's more GT than sports car. If money was no object, this is the car I would drive during the winter months.

As far as the RS5 is concerned, rumor has it that it will gain twin turbochargers on the existing V8. I'd say that 450-500 hp (probably closer to 500 hp) is a good bet.

Between that and the M3, it just depends on your priorities. Would you rather have an awesome looking car that drives great or an great looking car that drives awesomely?

Decisions ... Decisions ...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #33
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Beautiful car, but it's obvious that it's more GT than sports car. If money was no object, this is the car I would drive during the winter months.

As far as the RS5 is concerned, rumor has it that it will gain twin turbochargers on the existing V8. I'd say that 450-500 hp (probably closer to 500 hp) is a good bet.

Between that and the M3, it just depends on your priorities. Would you rather have an awesome looking car that drives great or an great looking car that drives awesomely?

Well put
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #34
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Audi already released information saying that the next gen RS4/5 will have a massaged version of the outgoing RS4 engine...it will be NA...

Jason
      08-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #35
greenie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i x-drive m-sport coup

The problem with the S5 is with the manufacturer. They have done away with the maintenance program that BMW has and Audi has always done a miserable job of supporting its miserable network of dealers. They are limiting the number of S5s that "come ashore" because they can realize so much more profit in Europe(100K+). They have never understood how to market their cars and that is one reason the value of used Audis drop like a rock. No thanks Audi, Ill stick with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #36
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
The problem with the S5 is with the manufacturer. They have done away with the maintenance program that BMW has and Audi has always done a miserable job of supporting its miserable network of dealers. They are limiting the number of S5s that "come ashore" because they can realize so much more profit in Europe(100K+). They have never understood how to market their cars and that is one reason the value of used Audis drop like a rock. No thanks Audi, Ill stick with BMW.
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure that BMW includes the cost of the maintenance in the price of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #37
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Audi already released information saying that the next gen RS4/5 will have a massaged version of the outgoing RS4 engine...it will be NA...

Jason
I haven't seen anything official from Audi to say either way. I think the article you're referencing is from autoblog where it states that the next gen RS4 and the upcoming RS5 will keep its V8. However, nowhere in the article does it state that the V8's won't have forced induction.

We'll just have to wait and see ....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #38
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't seen anything official from Audi to say either way. I think the article you're referencing is from autoblog where it states that the next gen RS4 and the upcoming RS5 will keep its V8. However, nowhere in the article does it state that the V8's won't have forced induction.

We'll just have to wait and see ....
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/a...5-to-keep-v8s/

I think the point of the article was to silence a lot speculation that the RS4/5 were going to receive forced induction. The article implies a massaged version of the NA FSI V8.... Either way Audi fans will be looking at 69-72K base prices (my guess) given that the outgoing RS4 base price was already in the upper 60's...

Jason
      08-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #39
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I'm really curious to know how they will treat the RS5 if it's supposed to be a M3 killer. The M3 is already comparable to the R8 IN SOME AREAS. If they make the RS5 to BE a M3 killer then there would be no point in the R8, even with the V10.
Audi has never stated the RS5 to be a M3 killer, just some internet fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
Actually they have a maintenance program. It is called Audi Care.

The Audi Care New Vehicle Plan covers the manufacturer-required regularly scheduled maintenance services at 15,000 miles, 25,000 miles, 35,000 miles, and 45,000 miles, or 5 years from the original vehicle in-service date, whichever comes first. The cost of Audi Care is $650 MSRP.

Most people negotiate it for free when purchasing an Audi.

And they are increasing production of the S5 and the number of S5/A5's coming to the US. The high demand for the S5 has been incredible in the current horrible car market.

Quote:
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure that BMW includes the cost of the maintenance in the price of the vehicle.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #40
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
I am struggling to understand why you feel it Audi make the RS5 better than the M3 it in some way makes the R8 redundent.

The customer who picks the RS5 will not be the same person who would have an R8. One is a practical four seater with a decent boot but in heavy (possibly nose heavy), will have a quattro system with a 40/60 split, not as rear biased as the R8, it's front engined instead of mid. The list can go on and on but I think I have highlighted enough differences for one to see the two cars are totally different and because of these will drive totally different, even if they are equally as quick as each other.

I'm guessing that in a straight line the RS5 will walk the R8v8 but on the track the R8 will still hold a major advantage.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #41
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am struggling to understand why you feel it Audi make the RS5 better than the M3 it in some way makes the R8 redundent.

The customer who picks the RS5 will not be the same person who would have an R8. One is a practical four seater with a decent boot but in heavy (possibly nose heavy), will have a quattro system with a 40/60 split, not as rear biased as the R8, it's front engined instead of mid. The list can go on and on but I think I have highlighted enough differences for one to see the two cars are totally different and because of these will drive totally different, even if they are equally as quick as each other.

I'm guessing that in a straight line the RS5 will walk the R8v8 but on the track the R8 will still hold a major advantage.

I'm with you footie...I didn't understand that either. The markets for these cars are entirely different. The R8 is many things that the RS5 will never be, performance aside.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #42
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm in the minority here, i realize, but i think the front of the S5 is FUGLY. those goddamn LED strips make me vomit and there's way too much grill up in that piece...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #43
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog55 View Post
i'm in the minority here, i realize, but i think the front of the S5 is FUGLY. those goddamn LED strips make me vomit and there's way too much grill up in that piece...
You can turn off the LED strips with the MMI.

S5 is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #44
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

The S5 is one of the best looking cars on the road. For evidence I submit the following photos

It was never intended as a competitor to the M3 nor do I think that the RS4 was either. The M3 is a modern version of Race Sunday/Commute Monday. The RS4 and the upcoming RS5 are GT cars.
Appreciate 0