BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
lawjizams
M IS THE KING!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 SSII

Battery Replacement

Looks like its time to get a new battery after 6 years :/ (Discharge Warning) The dealer quoted over 500$ total and I've been searching the forums for some form of DIY for this and have mixed info. So I've been searching for a battery and found a Duracell

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...ional/sli49agm

I guess my question is does this battery meet the OEM specs. And also I heard that the bmwlogger tool is good for battery registration but a good OBD 2 cable is needed to work. Anyone have any ideas? Much thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Yes, it will drop in as a replacement and meet OEM specs (this battery is 92 AH and 850 cold cranking amps, AGM construction). Sears Diehard Gold Group Size 49 is a good one also.

Some BMW indie shops will register a battery for almost nothing if you drive in with a new battery and look like you could potentially be a good customer ; ). I used the Carly for BMW (formerly BMWhat) but you do have to buy a wireless OBD dongle from them and have a suitable smart phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Yes, it will drop in as a replacement and meet OEM specs (this battery is 92 AH and 850 cold cranking amps, AGM construction). Sears Diehard Gold Group Size 49 is a good one also.

Some BMW indie shops will register a battery for almost nothing if you drive in with a new battery and look like you could potentially be a good customer ; ). I used the Carly for BMW (formerly BMWhat) but you do have to buy a wireless OBD dongle from them and have a suitable smart phone.
Do you know how to code it through Tools32.exe ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
lawjizams
M IS THE KING!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post

Thanks for the input. I didnt know the BMWhat app could register the battery. I have and used it with my bt dongle before to enable some keyfob options. I will check into it. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
Rudeman
Cockometer pegged
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 SG M3 6spd

Put a trickle charger on it over night. I saved mine doing just that, and it's lasted another 2.5 years since then.

I will still get the warning every 4-8 months I'd say, at which point I charge it overnight again and I'm good again.

The charging system in our cars is whack, and it doesn't do the best for the battery on short drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Subscribing...surprisingly still on the original battery on my 08. Should be only a matter of time until I am in the same boat.
      10-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
Put a trickle charger on it over night. I saved mine doing just that, and it's lasted another 2.5 years since then.

I will still get the warning every 4-8 months I'd say, at which point I charge it overnight again and I'm good again.

The charging system in our cars is whack, and it doesn't do the best for the battery on short drives.

+1. Try a trickle charger first. I'm going on over 2+ years with no problems on a battery that I thought was long gone. To keep it fresh, every few months I hook up the trickle charger and let it charge for a couple of days. It's not my DD so buying a new battery didn't make sense because even a new battery would need a trickle charger if it sits for too long.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjizams View Post
Thanks for the input. I didnt know the BMWhat app could register the battery. I have and used it with my bt dongle before to enable some keyfob options. I will check into it. Thanks again.
It's a $10 in app purchase but worth it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I've started a couple posts about battery replacement. BMWlogger + DCAN cable will work fine. If the BMWhat app can do it, then go that route if you already have it. I personally have the DCAN cable b/c if you ever have to load a tune/have anything retrofitted, if you have your own DCAN cable (which is required for both, btw) you don't have to pay the vendor for one.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
europower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 6MT

Carly for BMW app does the job (previously called Bmwhat app. I bought a Bosch battery from pep boys for 160..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Anybody have comments to share regarding the light weight battery options. Would love to shed 40-50 lbs this way.
Appreciate 0