BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #23
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
My dealer is reasonably okay with my car.
The guys in back all come and look at the supercharger and I tell them to leave the brakes alone when I am in for free maintenance.

Last time, when I picked up my car they told me they wanted to do something for me on the brakes so they flushed them for me.

I thanked them but inwardly I was thinking, gee, I just put new high temp fluid in so I will have to do that again when I get home. They were trying to be helpful, so next time I will have to mention to not do that either.
do you ever wonder whether they joy ride that S/C? Ferris Bueller style!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
BMW of Newport have been solid for me. The covered all the warranty items, filled it up with Ate Super instead of BMW brake fluid and changed the rotors twice. The said they were interested in seeing how the car holds up and glad to work on an M3 that gets run, rather than the garage queens they tend to see.

They caught me when I forgot to clean the bottom of the running boards! D'Oh!
same for me with bmw of north haven. i really like working with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
do you ever wonder whether they joy ride that S/C? Ferris Bueller style!
So that is why they are running the car in reverse for 20 miles at the end of the service before they return me the car.......
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I have ST brakes also. When I was due for brakes, my SA said they had to be done. So I told them to install them in the trunk if they absolutely had to. Upon pickup, what do you know, brand new factory brakes in boxes in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #27
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
I have ST brakes also. When I was due for brakes, my SA said they had to be done. So I told them to install them in the trunk if they absolutely had to. Upon pickup, what do you know, brand new factory brakes in boxes in the trunk.
That's awesome of your dealer. I have ST up front and the dealer wouldn't give me front pads even (which I would have either kept as spares or sold).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I tell my tech whose whole family tracks their cars. Then he tells me what to tell the SA.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
They get paid by BMW when they perform the service for parts and time. Ultimate Service and warranty work is below regular rate, but if they don't do the work they don't get all the money they could from BMW for servicing your ride still under the plan.

I have also found that dealerships will negotiate service costs on out of plan service and repairs. I got 15-20% off the 60K service (at 56K), but I also asked for the diff and tranny to be flushed. The rear calipers had to be rebuilt as the rubber piston seal had cracked on one side so it was quite a big bill!
      05-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

My SA is pretty cool ... everytime I show up he just asked me ... "What have you done to it now?"

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
You should have seen the face on my Toyota service advisor when a caged track prepped FR-S showed up at their dealer on a race car hauler with a blown engine and i demanded warranty!
The car was sprayed with track rubber, on race pads, and still had the track day # sticker on the windshield lol.

Eventually, they covered it as it was an injector o ring that failed and caused it to lean and blow and my engine was pretty much stock.
So awesome! Great story and glad it worked out in your favor. I can imagine the look on their faces... staring you down and thinking to themselves, "seriously?"
      05-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
My SA is pretty cool ... everytime I show up he just asked me ... "What have you done to it now?"
Which dealer do you take your car to? Im new to SC and trying to find a solid dealership to take my car to for maintenance when its due.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
SymphOfEvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

I don't know about the maintenance visits y'all have had recently, but the past two times I've gone the SA has very bluntly explained to me that they won't ask any questions as long as I give them straight "10's" on the email survey so they don't take a hit to their commission. Sounds like they're more worried about that than getting in trouble for authorizing some warranty service that was due way early because of track use (e.g., new pads @ 12k miles.)

I wouldn't use that as a "blackmail" strategy if they refuse to fix something you jacked up at the track, but if they're trying to deny you regular maintenance because you tracked your car you might be able to use it as a bargaining chip.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
You should have seen the face on my Toyota service advisor when a caged track prepped FR-S showed up at their dealer on a race car hauler with a blown engine and i demanded warranty!
The car was sprayed with track rubber, on race pads, and still had the track day # sticker on the windshield lol.

Eventually, they covered it as it was an injector o ring that failed and caused it to lean and blow and my engine was pretty much stock.
I have the same issue with my BRZ! Fortunately my engine didn't blow and I drove it to the dealer and demanded it be warrantied with sponsor stickers and track day numbers all over my car
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #35
ydoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
BMW of Newport have been solid for me. The covered all the warranty items, filled it up with Ate Super instead of BMW brake fluid and changed the rotors twice. The said they were interested in seeing how the car holds up and glad to work on an M3 that gets run, rather than the garage queens they tend to see.

They caught me when I forgot to clean the bottom of the running boards! D'Oh!
LiM3y,

Out of curiosity, what were the mileages on your M3/rotors when the dealer agreed to replace the rotors? I took mine into the dealer recently and they refused to replace cracked rotors under the factory maintenance plan because they said the vehicle was too new (13 months) and with too few miles (11k) and they were concerned about BMW refusing to reimburse them for the parts and labor under the service contract.

thanks, ydoc

Last edited by ydoc; 07-11-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Exactly....especially for the first service, fill out the survey, give them perfect 10s, write a few kind words, be nice/respectful, etc to establish the "incentive system" from the get-go (no need to blackmail unless they give you hard time for something). Goes a long way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphOfEvil View Post
I don't know about the maintenance visits y'all have had recently, but the past two times I've gone the SA has very bluntly explained to me that they won't ask any questions as long as I give them straight "10's" on the email survey so they don't take a hit to their commission. Sounds like they're more worried about that than getting in trouble for authorizing some warranty service that was due way early because of track use (e.g., new pads @ 12k miles.)

I wouldn't use that as a "blackmail" strategy if they refuse to fix something you jacked up at the track, but if they're trying to deny you regular maintenance because you tracked your car you might be able to use it as a bargaining chip.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #37
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

28k on my rotors and they are due. Deep wear patterns are starring now.

Gotta get some cooling thru em. :/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #38
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe/E92 M3

Same experience with me, dealers look at me like im not human when I drive into the service bay. Granted my M3 is completely track prepped with no cats, full cage and no interior. Still only has 11k miles...

After they come to grips that its still under warranty (and after some arguing) they do what they should and cover the car (or whats left). Its hard to find a good mechanic at a BMW dealership that accepts race cars. Porsche dealerships welcome them! Then again, far more porsches are tracked. Just another day at a bimmer dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnug View Post
Same experience with me, dealers look at me like im not human when I drive into the service bay. Granted my M3 is completely track prepped with no cats, full cage and no interior. Still only has 11k miles...
Pics please!

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Pics please!
I thought about making a quick thread of the finished car (unfortunately I didn't take many pics during the different phases) but I figured there are enough already out there! Im also not into "showing off" as sometimes people seem to imply with those kinds of threads. Maybe I will if I think people will benefit from it. Awesome car though, absolutely love it
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #41
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Just ask for 4 new rotors and all brake pads tucked neatly in a box and in the trunk. Oh dont forget new sensors too please. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought about making a quick thread of the finished car (unfortunately I didn't take many pics during the different phases) but I figured there are enough already out there! Im also not into "showing off" as sometimes people seem to imply with those kinds of threads. Maybe I will if I think people will benefit from it. Awesome car though, absolutely love it
That sort of thing is pretty encouraged around here (http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64), but alright. I'm in the midwest -- hope to see the beast on track sometime.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
That sort of thing is pretty encouraged around here (http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64), but alright. I'm in the midwest -- hope to see the beast on track sometime.
I know I know ok maybe I will! I have to wait a bit because it was in my driveway and a buddy of mine backed into it... Not happy about it
Attached Images

08-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #44
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know I know ok maybe I will! I have to wait a bit because it was in my driveway and a buddy of mine backed into it... Not happy about it
OUCH. Sorry to see.

Appreciate 0