BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #5149
SQ13
Private
14
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Those are for the 201 rightv. The 101 are a new slick.
Reread last few posts. I see now.

Anyways, will be using my FZ-201s at COTA on the 28th. I have no lap times using other tires for comparison

Edit: The FZ-101s also come in a soft and medium compound. There is mockery afoot.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #5150
135
Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Went to tighten the last bridge bolt to only 30 ft lbs, seemed reasonable, and snapped the head off, doh.
I read that the torque setting for transmission mounts is:
19nm = 14 ft-lb = 168 in-lb
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #5151
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
401
Rep
1,835
Posts

Drives: ZCP e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Went to tighten the last bridge bolt to only 30 ft lbs, seemed reasonable, and snapped the head off, doh.
I read that the torque setting for transmission mounts is:
19nm = 14 ft-lb = 168 in-lb
Much appreciated! I really should have looked it up. Went by the dealer and grabbed a new bolt for $2 yesterday, will get it right this time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #5152
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1847
Rep
6,618
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

just get it snug as F, as opposed to tight as F.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #5153
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
765
Rep
10,702
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
I read that the torque setting for transmission mounts is:
19nm = 14 ft-lb = 168 in-lb
Those are the mounts, not the bridge bolts.

I don't recall the spec but 30 sounds high to me.

I agree with SAF with a little blue loctite.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #5154
135
Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (4)

Is the bridge the same as the brace? I think it is - just different terminology. If so, then it was the same torque setting.
Caveat: this is for a 1- or 3- series non-M but based on the fact that it snapped with 30 ft-lb, it might be very well possible that the M3 torque setting is also 14 ft-lb.
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #5155
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1891
Rep
4,819
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Looks like they only come in 240/17 damnit.
According to this page, they have a 270/650R18

http://www.federalmotorsport.com/ind...1295923645000/
Hmm. Prob for future? No details on measurements in the chart. And they need to update their other page then (the one I saw) lol
__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #5156
135
Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (4)

The size on the tyre in the image is 270/635-17, which is also absent from the size list, so it looks like there might be even more sizes available.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #5157
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
765
Rep
10,702
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Is the bridge the same as the brace? I think it is - just different terminology. If so, then it was the same torque setting.
Caveat: this is for a 1- or 3- series non-M but based on the fact that it snapped with 30 ft-lb, it might be very well possible that the M3 torque setting is also 14 ft-lb.
confirmed
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...earbox/5fXI9ON
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #5158
NoCarrier
Private First Class
NoCarrier's Avatar
51
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
As of my last track day two weeks ago I decided it was finally time to take the plunge and get the Essex/AP brakes front and back. Practically the same day they discontinued them and are only selling the Radi-Cals now. Arggh.
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #5159
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1847
Rep
6,618
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarrier View Post
As of my last track day two weeks ago I decided it was finally time to take the plunge and get the Essex/AP brakes front and back. Practically the same day they discontinued them and are only selling the Radi-Cals now. Arggh.
its a fantastic kit. i'm glad i was able to complete mine before it was discontinued. i think this is going to be one of those revered parts in a little while... maximum weight savings, and excellent endurance. i'm hoping to get some ducting going soon to help with pad wear.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #5160
lutfy
Lieutenant
lutfy's Avatar
111
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, TTD FRS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Hmm. Prob for future? No details on measurements in the chart. And they need to update their other page then (the one I saw) lol
Standard 275/265 size would work on 18*10 wheel. I have seen them go for $125 a pop shipped on Ebay (2017 tire) at least for the 240/17 I was looking at. So for that money, you cant go wrong.

West Coast guys have been running 201 semis with some luck so the slicks should be a good option for those not limited by rules.

Be very curious what others state after review.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #5161
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1891
Rep
4,819
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Standard 275/265 size would work on 18*10 wheel. I have seen them go for $125 a pop shipped on Ebay (2017 tire) at least for the 240/17 I was looking at. So for that money, you cant go wrong.

West Coast guys have been running 201 semis with some luck so the slicks should be a good option for those not limited by rules.

Be very curious what others state after review.

Lutfy
There were a few that reviewed them over here and they seem to not like them as much as the NT01 (I'm also assuming that they all ran the 100tw version).

I heard through the grapevine that 18" for various sizes are being nudged into development.
__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #5162
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
765
Rep
10,702
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarrier View Post
As of my last track day two weeks ago I decided it was finally time to take the plunge and get the Essex/AP brakes front and back. Practically the same day they discontinued them and are only selling the Radi-Cals now. Arggh.
I almost missed the boat as well.
I dithered for a few days when they had the final sale on.
...got the last set.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:58 AM   #5163
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1891
Rep
4,819
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarrier View Post
As of my last track day two weeks ago I decided it was finally time to take the plunge and get the Essex/AP brakes front and back. Practically the same day they discontinued them and are only selling the Radi-Cals now. Arggh.
I almost missed the boat as well.
I dithered for a few days when they had the final sale on.
...got the last set.
Last set of Essex last one of the lips. Lucky guy!
__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #5164
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1891
Rep
4,819
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Race Render Gran Turismo Sport update

__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #5165
spxxx
Boost
spxxx's Avatar
206
Rep
2,260
Posts

Drives: 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Valley of Silicon, CA - United States

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Actually got four fz201 in 285/30/18 for 688 shipped from eBay vendor called "hotstickytires" so I'll be anxious to see how they perform
Hey dude, sorry for not getting back to you I've been out of country / town basically since new years. HotStickyTires is the vendor that I work with, great guys.

They just got their shipment in mid-january so that was a good call snatching some up (and solid price). The discount I can swing with the FZ tires is a lot less than the RSRR as there's only a couple FZ vendors in the US which is a big issue with Federal's distribution model IMO.

Also, the 285s will be perfect since the FZs aren't super wide tires like a lot of the new stuff on the market (the 285s run closer to a standard 275 R-comp)
__________________
135i M-Sport FBO
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #5166
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
401
Rep
1,835
Posts

Drives: ZCP e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Somehow I am just now catching up on the Federal fz201 fz101 conversation, really excited for these options and anxious for some track reviews!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #5167
scotty_miller
Captain
scotty_miller's Avatar
82
Rep
839
Posts

Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Actually got four fz201 in 285/30/18 for 688 shipped from eBay vendor called "hotstickytires" so I'll be anxious to see how they perform
Hey dude, sorry for not getting back to you I've been out of country / town basically since new years. HotStickyTires is the vendor that I work with, great guys.

They just got their shipment in mid-january so that was a good call snatching some up (and solid price). The discount I can swing with the FZ tires is a lot less than the RSRR as there's only a couple FZ vendors in the US which is a big issue with Federal's distribution model IMO.

Also, the 285s will be perfect since the FZs aren't super wide tires like a lot of the new stuff on the market (the 285s run closer to a standard 275 R-comp)
No worries man! For the price I couldn't beat it. I'll still get ahold of you closer to the start of the season for some rsrr for the street. The 285/30 FZ is only .2 inches wider in section width compared to the 275/35 NT01 so I'll be anxious to see how they fit
__________________
You'll find me at the track

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #5168
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
765
Rep
10,702
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Last set of Essex last one of the lips. Lucky guy!
Lol, can't disagree with you.
Luckiest thing of all though was finding this car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #5169
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
401
Rep
1,835
Posts

Drives: ZCP e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Curious if anyone has experience using the Foxwell NT510 Scantool? Apparently you can use it to do a lot of the same stuff INPA and BMW Tools are used for. I'm curious what the oil level readout looks like on it and what all else it might be useful for.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #5170
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
401
Rep
1,835
Posts

Drives: ZCP e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

I went ahead and picked up the Foxwell NT510 off of Amazon, let me know if ya'll have any questions on it.

Also, though I do a lot of my own work my next COTA track day is fast approaching so I dropped the car off at my favorite shop today for a few things. Poly engine mounts going in (I already installed the poly transmission mounts), diff fluid flush to Castrol Syntrax 75w-140 (purchased from ECS but now see FCP has a much better price), dinan midpipe resonator weld crack being re-welded, tender springs and perches coming out (will be running 6" 600 lb front springs w/ no helpers), and new track alignment.

New alignment: -3.2 F, 0 toe, -2 R, slight toe-in for stability

I'm hoping this will combat the extreme outer edge tire wear I was seeing on the fronts with -2.6 and slight toe-out.

A few other track preps, changed my engine oil over the weekend and ordered Pagid RS-29 yellow front pads, the RS-14 blacks were locking up the Cup 2's a bit under hard braking so I thought I'd try something with a lower max coefficient of friction, we'll see how it goes. Still running RS-19's in the rear.

Looking forward to getting back out there!
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST